U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:48 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,547,562 times

Advertisements

I would be surprised if rents haven't changed since 2000 in any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 AM

18,926 posts, read 6,920,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I would be surprised if rents haven't changed since 2000 in any city.
They probably haven't gone up much in small towns in flyover country that are losing jobs and population and have little demand, like say Marion, IL

Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,626,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are two major factors at play. The first one everyone knows; foreign buyers. The other one is that it's less New York than it used to be, so it's more attractive to mundanes. That's why you have a whole apartment buildings that are Michigan State buildings. New York is always had a huge transplant population, but it was a very self-selecting population. Now, New York appeals to people who like Starbucks.
Starbucks is nothing special, it's going to pop up in any big city

I think since NYC is the most desirable city in the US, landlords take advantage of that and squeeze people as much as they can.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,401,722 times
Rates have increased everywhere on some level I mean it's been years and you have to expect that. Inner cities everywhere have seen the most ridiculous increases downtown living is cool again and almost all the new stuff is not subsidized at all. And all of it has bars and coffee shops with multi layer parking decks. Seattle, Denver, Austin (The places people glamourize the most) have seen nutty rent prices. Miami was always pricey. and The west coast as usual still sky high.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM

231 posts, read 155,354 times
Quote:
There are two major factors at play. The first one everyone knows; foreign buyers. The other one is that it's less New York than it used to be, so it's more attractive to mundanes. That's why you have a whole apartment buildings that are Michigan State buildings. New York is always had a huge transplant population, but it was a very self-selecting population. Now, New York appeals to people who like Starbucks.
This, exactly.

As Patti Smith said to young artists:

"New York has closed itself off to the young and struggling. New York City has been taken away from you So my advice is: Find a new city.

When even Patti Smith can recognize that New York is dead, you know it's bad. The creative class has been replaced by accountant types.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,517,809 times
How come housing prices fluctuate, but rent prices always go up?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 PM

628 posts, read 761,418 times
Quote:
Not by NY, Boston or DC apartment standards

This person's furniture and housekeeping suck, but this is as nice as a typical NYC apt:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5726979445.html

This is decent:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5704767118.html

Okay, this is legitimately a dump, but the location is great:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5725555191.html

Fairly standard big city apr:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5729122255.html

On the crappier side, but great location:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5681159463.html

A little far North for my liking, but:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5722206823.html

The cheap places get nicer if you start going northwest, along the Blue Line.

How is that place a dump? While I agree it's pretty basic and dull, but that is not a dump.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,600,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
How is that place a dump? While I agree it's pretty basic and dull, but that is not a dump.
Look closely at the pictures of the bathroom and kitchen. There is a boiler in the kitchen and literally no counter. Not one inch of counter space. Check those walls out. You can see the cheap, poorly cut laminate floor buckling.

The first couple of pics don't look bad, but this place is on the dumpier side. It's definitely the worst apartment I linked.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM

628 posts, read 761,418 times
Quote:
Look closely at the pictures of the bathroom and kitchen. There is a boiler in the kitchen and literally no counter. Not one inch of counter space. Check those walls out. You can see the cheap, poorly cut laminate floor buckling.

The first couple of pics don't look bad, but this place is on the dumpier side. It's definitely the worst apartment I linked.
Yeah, it is the worst of the bunch. I guess when I think "dump" it's a bit more extreme than that.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM

9,896 posts, read 21,176,302 times
In both 2002 and 2012 I rented from the same apartment complex on the nicest side of town in Louisville KY. In 2002 a 1 br was $450 a month, when I left in 2015 it was $621. Last year I moved across the river to a working class area on the Indiana side for cheaper housing. My mortgage payment for a 1950s ranch house is only $350 a month, you couldn't get a studio in the highest crime area for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or