Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 01:57 AM

70 posts, read 67,079 times

Advertisements

Not even sure if one city would fit all that I would like it to have,but here we go! lol
I have been researching the forums but since my situation is not typical of many who post,wanted to make a post of my own.
Am open to pretty much any state in the US that isn't Oregon.
Single person,no children.
The past 3 years the chronic health conditions I have became increasingly worse,forcing me to apply for SSI so I am not on the streets.
When I saw low income and affordable,I mean,poverty level,likely not more than $800 a month with SSI and reselling an occasional lucky thrift store find.Will apply for section 8 once it opens up later this year,no saying if I will get it or it could take years.
If I got section 8,it varies greatly upon area,but usually for one person they set the limits at around $500-$600 monthly rent.If I didn't,I'd be looking for something at max $500 a month with utilities included,which is rare,I know,but essential at that income.Done the roommate thing before,it's not really workable anymore (those who have struggled with chronic health problems know what I mean!).

Right now I live in Eugene Oregon,the pros of which is that the bus system is pretty good,though not as frequent in the evenings and stops around 11 pm.Eugene is going through a major housing crisis right now,which many people are blind to.There are few true low income housing units and lots of students with parents who foot the rent bill to compete with.This past year it has gotten especially bad,making me consider moving as soon as I can.
I would prefer to live in a city that is not so university and college focused.
I am trying to find a city that has affordable (for me!) downtown apartments,as the few times I got to live downtown,it has helped a lot with stress and my health.Usually my tolerance for bus ride and grocery shopping is about an hour,and if there are any grocery stores close by,it really helps.
I love vintage and antiques,also resell it when possible,so a city that has good sources is great.
I am not able to get out a lot,but a bit of artsy/musical scene is good,which can probably be found in any medium to large size city,lol.
Lakes,beaches,watery stuff is a plus.
Decent health care coverage,especially important in my situation.
I have lived in small towns before and hate it,so am thinking around Eugene's size,maybe a little smaller,prefer bigger if it wouldn't be too much with the transportation issue.

Transportation and affordable stable housing are the two priorities for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.