U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
 
5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Reputation: 3482

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bics.g View Post
Depends if you're talking economic or social liberalism/conservatism. True economic liberalism actually favours the lower tax + personal choice + personal responsibility line. The "liberal" bit refers to the freedom of an individual to spend their money free of the interference of the government. Or so the argument goes, I myself tend to lean towards the socialist perspective.
Are you sure you are not talking about libertarianism? It's very different from liberalism, though each word has the same root, which is Latin for "free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
 
35 posts, read 90,566 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are you sure you are not talking about libertarianism? It's very different from liberalism, though each word has the same root, which is Latin for "free".
Nope, libertarianism is different agian, though I may have explained poorly what I meant so it does sound like libertarianism. I guess my point was that in economic-laymans-terms (for non-economists such as myself) liberalism and conservatism are not antonyms. Unless you were an economist you'd be hard pressed to find the differneces as both tend to be espoused by the political right - lower taxes and the rest. The more recent incarnation, neoliberalism as I'm familiar with it, or neo-conservatism as I've seen referred to on this thread both refer (in my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding of neo-con) to Regan- and Thatcher-esque policies and their evolution over the last 30-odd years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
Oh, my goodness--how did Maryland not make that list?

Our current governor, Martin O'Malley, is really getting it from Democats and Republicans alike for the special session he forced through the General Assembly to raise BILLIONS in taxes. Our sales tax just went up to 6% this year.

His ratings are really dismal right now...deservedly so!
You forgot to mention that O'Malley wants to give illegals IN-STATE tuition at the University of Maryland!!!! As if affirmative action isn't already helping those people. The bad thing is that Baltimore City, Montgomery COunty, and PG County dominate politics while the rest of the state is almost completely Republican and conservative. Pg County is loaded with illegal immigrants and Baltimore of course is filled with welfare queens and Montgomery County has a mix of the above plus a large number of snotty libs who drink lattes in Starbucks and read the New York Times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 AM
 
89 posts, read 274,676 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
You forgot to mention that O'Malley wants to give illegals IN-STATE tuition at the University of Maryland!!!! As if affirmative action isn't already helping those people. The bad thing is that Baltimore City, Montgomery COunty, and PG County dominate politics while the rest of the state is almost completely Republican and conservative. Pg County is loaded with illegal immigrants and Baltimore of course is filled with welfare queens and Montgomery County has a mix of the above plus a large number of snotty libs who drink lattes in Starbucks and read the New York Times.
I don't even want to hear those words: "The New York Times."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,325,233 times
Reputation: 6158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bics.g View Post
The more recent incarnation, neoliberalism as I'm familiar with it, or neo-conservatism as I've seen referred to on this thread both refer (in my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding of neo-con) to Regan- and Thatcher-esque policies and their evolution over the last 30-odd years.
Neo-Cons are ultra conservative Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,325,233 times
Reputation: 6158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
You forgot to mention that O'Malley wants to give illegals IN-STATE tuition at the University of Maryland!!!! As if affirmative action isn't already helping those people. The bad thing is that Baltimore City, Montgomery COunty, and PG County dominate politics while the rest of the state is almost completely Republican and conservative. Pg County is loaded with illegal immigrants and Baltimore of course is filled with welfare queens and Montgomery County has a mix of the above plus a large number of snotty libs who drink lattes in Starbucks and read the New York Times.
'Those' people. Your words say it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Burkina Faso
421 posts, read 603,755 times
Reputation: 115
California
Vermont
Massachusetts
Hawaii
Washington DC/Maryland
Oregon
New York
Minnesota
Rhode Island
Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
 
7 posts, read 23,047 times
Reputation: 13
Once you're 30 minutes outside of Chicago, Illinois is pure republican with few exceptions. Southern IL is more like Indiana than Chicago.

I'd say the worst state for Conservatives would be not only a liberal state, but one that is intolerant of conservative thinking. I've heard VT is like that but have not been there myself. I know being a conservative in Seattle, Boston, or NY is a notch below "child molester"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,325,233 times
Reputation: 6158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocation101 View Post
I'd say the worst state for Conservatives would be not only a liberal state, but one that is intolerant of conservative thinking. I've heard VT is like that but have not been there myself. I know being a conservative in Seattle, Boston, or NY is a notch below "child molester"
In many ways Vermont is liberal, but there is a fairly wealthy demographic that tends to be conservative; not so much in a political way, but more or less in the manner of 'old money'.

Boston is hard to pinpoint, too (it must be a New England thing). Realistically, if it wasn't for the sheer amount of college students in Boston, Boston itself could very easily tip to the right. Amherst is the only Massachusetts city that I would feel certain in saying that conservatives aren't welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
34 posts, read 52,962 times
Reputation: 11
Are you people serious? One guy called me a racist for being republican and not wanting to pay for lazy welfare queens and losers who live off food stamps. Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top