U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM

93 posts, read 63,667 times

Advertisements

I've lived in two cities, Chicago and Rome, and for me the idea moving to a smaller city anywhere is frightening. In fact, I wouldn't allow! Not for a job or a woman. I travel to smaller cities all over the country/world, and there dozens of cities that are fantastic places to work, live and play. However, once you've lived somewhere that has everything twice it's impossible to downsize. My point is, it depends on where you're moving from when you choose between Boston or Chicago. If you're coming from a smaller city maybe Boston would be the better chose. Baby steps, baby steps. If you're coming from New York, than Chicago would probably be more your speed.(Although you'll probably suffer the let-down of downsizing).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I think the bigger differences will be cultural. I think school would be a lot different on the east coast. where are you from? What are you currently used to? What does "better" mean to you?

Generally speaking, students at east coast schools can be more competitive. Chicago is a bigger city but east coast cities have a bigger attitude in my opinion.
That is a very good point. Schools in different parts of the country tend to have very different attitudes. It's important to figure out what type of learning environment would be the best for you or you could end up miserable. It would be a good idea to visit the school you are considering and talk with some of the students, if that isn't possible the administration might be able to help you find students who would talk to you over the phone or e-mail.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
I've lived in two cities, Chicago and Rome, and for me the idea moving to a smaller city anywhere is frightening. In fact, I wouldn't allow! Not for a job or a woman. I travel to smaller cities all over the country/world, and there dozens of cities that are fantastic places to work, live and play. However, once you've lived somewhere that has everything twice it's impossible to downsize. My point is, it depends on where you're moving from when you choose between Boston or Chicago. If you're coming from a smaller city maybe Boston would be the better chose. Baby steps, baby steps. If you're coming from New York, than Chicago would probably be more your speed.(Although you'll probably suffer the let-down of downsizing).
Some people enjoy and actually chose to downsize.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:56 PM

287 posts, read 918,191 times
I don't think you can go wrong either way, Chicago and Boston are both wonderful places. Boston is older more compact and walkable. Chicago is huge and you can spend the rest of your life exploring it. I don't know where you're applying, but on the balance Boston has better schools (not that Chicago is a slouch in that reguard). Housing in Boston is more expensive, but there are always ways to make that work. If you're looking for a Puerto Rican community then Chicago would be a better bet. Boston has much nicer suburbs that Chicago, they have character and are actual complete towns with functional public transit. I think that's important especially since many of the schools are not in Boston proper.

I wish I knew more of what you're looking for. What schools you're thinking of applying to, and what you're looking for in the city.

Anyway, I can't really choose between the city where I was born and raised and the city where I live now.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
I don't think you can go wrong either way, Chicago and Boston are both wonderful places. Boston is older more compact and walkable. Chicago is huge and you can spend the rest of your life exploring it. I don't know where you're applying, but on the balance Boston has better schools (not that Chicago is a slouch in that reguard). Housing in Boston is more expensive, but there are always ways to make that work. If you're looking for a Puerto Rican community then Chicago would be a better bet. Boston has much nicer suburbs that Chicago, they have character and are actual complete towns with functional public transit. I think that's important especially since many of the schools are not in Boston proper.

I wish I knew more of what you're looking for. What schools you're thinking of applying to, and what you're looking for in the city.

Anyway, I can't really choose between the city where I was born and raised and the city where I live now.

It's odd you what make the comment you made regarding public transit, when Chicagoland has long been considered to have the best and most extensive regional transit system(CTA, METRA, PACE) in the country.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
Acupunk[/left];2922774]Some people enjoy and actually chose to downsize.
I know, some people aren't cut-out for the hustle and bustle, for the bright lights, big city, for the fast lane, etc. Actually, I have friend who owns a farm in Wyoming and when I visit him I sometimes find myself thinking it would be nice to live there. THEN I PUT DOWN THE BOTTLE!(the only way to handle the boredom) and sober up. LOL. Just playing with you. Seriously, to each his or her own. For me Boston, Atlanta and San Francisco are place you go to get out of the fast lane for a few days, because in these places it feels like everything is in slow-motion(in Chi we want things done yesterday). That can be very refreshing from time to time.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM

287 posts, read 918,191 times
Quote:
It's odd you what make the comment you made regarding public transit, when Chicagoland has long been considered to have the best and most extensive regional transit system(CTA, METRA, PACE) in the country.
Chicago has good public transit, much of the metro area has crap transit, especially northwest and northern suburbs (with the obvious exception of Evanston and possibly Lincolnwood and Skokie). Greater Boston has better coverage farther out. Even if you don't count places like Cambridge and Somerville, the Boston suburbs are better served. I defy to find a way to take public transit around Schaumburg, IL the way you can around Lexington, MA. They're similar sizes area wise and Schaumburg has more than double the population of Lexington but has way worse transit.

Possibly it's not fair to compare them, since Chicagoland is so vast and there's really only so far that Greater Boston can sprawl. But a transit system can only be so useful if it doesn't have good coverage. The METRA is great for commuting to and from the city, and PACE runs decent service in some places like Cicero and (I understand) Joliet, but there's a real failure in suburbs that were never built with public transit in mind.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurieb73 View Post
I'm moving from Puerto Rico, looking for a totally different experience. Not only in weather, but at culture as well. I'm also looking for a job in the marketing/sales/advertising industry. Which city has better preparation in the marketing side? Where i can find better opportunities in terms of salary and professional growth?.
If you want marketing/sales then Chicago might be a better fit for both schooling and job potential, but Boston would also be great for that, and if you don't like Boston then you can always go to NY.

Uh, if you're Puerto Rican, you might fit into Chicago with a little bit more ease. Chicago has its share of racists, but it is also highly mixed and its people are generally more accepting of other races.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
Chicago has good public transit, much of the metro area has crap transit, especially northwest and northern suburbs (with the obvious exception of Evanston and possibly Lincolnwood and Skokie). Greater Boston has better coverage farther out. Even if you don't count places like Cambridge and Somerville, the Boston suburbs are better served. I defy to find a way to take public transit around Schaumburg, IL the way you can around Lexington, MA. They're similar sizes area wise and Schaumburg has more than double the population of Lexington but has way worse transit.

Possibly it's not fair to compare them, since Chicagoland is so vast and there's really only so far that Greater Boston can sprawl. But a transit system can only be so useful if it doesn't have good coverage. The METRA is great for commuting to and from the city, and PACE runs decent service in some places like Cicero and (I understand) Joliet, but there's a real failure in suburbs that were never built with public transit in mind.
That's true. Other than going to and from the City, it's pretty much SOL in the suburbs. However, Pace does provide good services(personalized if needed) for the elderly and disabled. They get high marks from those segments. But your right, hell look at the extensive bus system in California.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
I know, some people aren't cut-out for the hustle and bustle, for the bright lights, big city, for the fast lane, etc. Actually, I have friend who owns a farm in Wyoming and when I visit him I sometimes find myself thinking it would be nice to live there. THEN I PUT DOWN THE BOTTLE!(the only way to handle the boredom) and sober up. LOL. Just playing with you. Seriously, to each his or her own. For me Boston, Atlanta and San Francisco are place you go to get out of the fast lane for a few days, because in these places it feels like everything is in slow-motion(in Chi we want things done yesterday). That can be very refreshing from time to time.
LOL, I think some people do choose to downsize, but I actually know what you mean. I've only lived in the places that are small to you like San diego, San Francisco and Detroit, but once I was thinking of moving to Flagstaff AZ and I ended up changing my mind because there was only one Thai restaurant and it was closed on Sunday. I filpped out realizing their were no other choices. I need at least 5 thai restaurants nearby, you probably have 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or