U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Boston has half the size of Chicago.
Chicago has half the flavor of Boston.
Have you ever been to either city? I live in one and have family in another, so I go there at least once a year. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Have you ever been to either city? I live in one and have family in another, so I go there at least once a year. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.
I agree. Boston is a great city, but if he thinks Chicago has "1/2 the flavor", he's got another thing comin!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,018,150 times
better city = boston

more to offer = chicago

Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,809,482 times
one strong advantage that Boston has over Chicago is the "day trip" factor. Within just a few hours of Boston, you have the ocean, the mountains, beautiful New England countryside, quaint little historic towns, NYC, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Chicago is a great town with a lot of flavor, but these peripheral advantages to Boston would tip the scale.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
one strong advantage that Boston has over Chicago is the "day trip" factor. Within just a few hours of Boston, you have the ocean, the mountains, beautiful New England countryside, quaint little historic towns, NYC, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Chicago is a great town with a lot of flavor, but these peripheral advantages to Boston would tip the scale.
I could drive to Milwaukee, head to the dunes or enjoy the scenery around Galena from Chicago. Don't forget Lake Michiganm as good as an ocean.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,285,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I could drive to Milwaukee, head to the dunes or enjoy the scenery around Galena from Chicago. Don't forget Lake Michiganm as good as an ocean.
Much as I like Chicago, Boston's much better in the day trip category. And no way is Lake Michigan as good as the ocean. That's laughable.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,809,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post

being able to drive to NYC or drive to Milwaukee? I think NYC wins that battle, sorry!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Much as I like Chicago, Boston's much better in the day trip category. And no way is Lake Michigan as good as the ocean. That's laughable.
I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, in my original response to this thread, I believe I encouraged the OP, all things being considered, to go for Boston. I think New England, as a region of the country, has more to offer than the Midwest. I just don't take kindly to those who insinuate that Chicago is nothing but a Midwestern backwater full of hicks.

...and no. Lake Michigan isn't as good as the ocean, at all. In fact, I'm getting my ocean fix later this week. I cannot wait.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Here in California, the ocean is better than Lake Michigan.

On the east coast, you can keep the ocean. Keep it far away and hopefully keep the smell down, too.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I live in Boston.
I was married at 4th Presbyterian Church on Michigan Ave. 2 years ago.

I love Chicago but it doesn't have the flavor of the smaller historic cities and walking around Chicago is not a very fascinating activity. Sure the architecture is great but truth be told only a very few people care about cool skyscrapers.
On the other hand I believe that the neighborhoods are much better and liveable in Chicago and Wrigley is better than Fenway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or