Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ is Boston really cleaner? I always hear over and over from many different friends that they can't believe how clean Chicago is for a big city....
I agree. I find Chicago to be extremely clean for its size. Sure there are spots that are not so clean, but every city has areas like that. Downtown Chicago is immaculate, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ is Boston really cleaner? I always hear over and over from many different friends that they can't believe how clean Chicago is for a big city....
For a big city, I thought Boston was exceptionally clean. Of course it has trash and run down areas/bldgs but pound for pound its the cleanest city of the highway robbery group (New York, Philly, D.C., Chicago, Miami, L.A., San Francisco and soon to be Baltimore and Detroit). I'm from Cincinnati and I'm used to trash and blight being a defining characteristic of the city...not the case in most of Boston, espescially outside of South Boston (south boston, dorchester, roxbury, etc).

Chicago has cleaned up A LOT in the last decade, but I wouldn't say it's cleaner than Beantown just yet..

Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
The parts of Chicago that tourists visit are very clean as is it's many upscale neighborhoods. But there is another Chicago out there.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
The parts of Chicago that tourists visit are very clean as is it's many upscale neighborhoods. But there is another Chicago out there.
That other Chicago is a beast.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 22,867 times
Have lived in both for more than a few years. My take is Chicago all the way. I'd say it's quite a bit cheaper than Boston, too. A little colder but less snow. If you're originally from the northeast give Chicago a try, it's a lot of fun.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
That other Chicago is a beast.
As is the other NYC, the other Boston, the other Miami, the other L.A., the other Phoenix, the other Pittsburgh, the other Atlanta. Whats your point?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Chicago is, like one person said before, much more massive than Boston.

It's also much different culturally (besides both having HUGE Irish themes), and Chicago does have just about much more of everything because it's a bigger city.

But since both cities are fantastic, why not just settle with the city that is more convienient for your job and take it from there?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
As is the other NYC, the other Boston, the other Miami, the other L.A., the other Phoenix, the other Pittsburgh, the other Atlanta. Whats your point?
it was a comment. nothing more. but since we're getting deeper, the other chicago is highly segregated, experiences regular police and political brutality, and is tough. not the most dangerous, just tough. imo tougher than all the cities you named.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
The physical size of a city really doesn't matter. Houston and Phoenix are three times the size of Chicago. What does that translate into? Nothing special. Personally, I like Chicago better because it is unique. Boston has that east coast feel and a more cosmopolitan vibe.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The physical size of a city really doesn't matter. Houston and Phoenix are three times the size of Chicago
Chicago is larger than both, and Chicago's metro blows them both clear out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.