U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,277,228 times
Reputation: 569

Advertisements

Not in any particular order although SF wins this one hands down:

-Washington DC
-San Francisco
-Boston
-Portland
-Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 2,319,598 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, are you serious? Blacks commit far more crimes against each other than they do anybody else. It's not even close. Please don't pull stuff out of your behind.
Though in Washington,DC the majority of unprovoked violent attacks are by blacks against whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 873 times
Reputation: 16
A true "Liberal" is not defined by what he or she believes, but by the
right he allows other people have to think differently.

Some of the most liberal people I know hold opposite beliefs than mine but accept freely my right to differ.

Some of the most conservative people I know are way out left fringe,and you better damn well be too; not just on one issue, but the whole package.

Eric Hoffer, in "The True Believer" said it best; "People at both extremes of liberalism and conservatism are almost indistinguishable from one another." Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
 
56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Though in Washington,DC the majority of unprovoked violent attacks are by blacks against whites.
A lot of that is probably realated to economics. Meaning, poor Black folks committing the crimes are going after Whites they feel have some money. A lot of this could be drug related as well, if this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Liberalness is overrated.

It's like OK, this person supports homosexuality, legalizing weed, free healthcare and more, but hate Christianity, southern culture, conservatives and more.

I think both liberals and conservatives can be rather ignorant and close-minded; another thing about these "open-minded" areas is that they lack vibrant black communities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
True....extreme right OR left can be downright irritating. Stay near the middle people!!
I agree totally. I loathe the "extremes" of either side. When I was in college I was pretty far left...but that's because I had always been moderately left and then found myself in an environment that was on the far right. Since I was all of a sudden a fish out of water, I became more and more defensive about my beliefs and it pushed me into more of an extreme than I probably should have been.

Now that I'm back home, I can be a bit more level-headed because both Conservatives and Liberals are well represented in the area. I cringe at the downright ignorance of the far right (those who believe Obama is a Muslim sleeper cell), and I become furious at the extreme douchiness of the far left (those who believe W was responsible for the WTC attacks).

I'm fine with those who are moderate, whether they lean left or right. I can see arguments for either side. Perhaps instead of getting more extreme (Tea Party) the next move would be to create a political party which focuses more on moderate politics.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-29-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
 
1,278 posts, read 2,319,598 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of that is probably realated to economics. Meaning, poor Black folks committing the crimes are going after Whites they feel have some money. A lot of this could be drug related as well, if this is the case.
It still doesn't change the fact that they are committing violent crimes. And I brought this up because a previous black poster said he felt uneasy or unwanted when among white areas of the city. I just countered that if he feels this way, he has to realize that a lot of it is because of those reason I had posted. Many in the black community are outright hostile (violent even) towards newer whites coming into their neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,896,252 times
Reputation: 5583
I used to think Detroit was liberal, but after further review, I would say it's a politically moderate city at best.

Any place that is homophobic (outlawed gay marriages), has a high gun carrying rate (and use) and has a HEAVY christian influence can't be too liberal. The suburbs are fiscally conservative at that.

The only thing liberal about this region (and the entire state of Michigan) are the unions, and Detroit proper is fiscally liberal/socially conservative.

Last edited by 313Weather; 01-01-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Reputation: 10926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I used to think Detroit was liberal, but after further review, I would say it's a politically moderate city at best.

Any place that is homophobic (outlawed gay marriages), has a high gun carrying rate (and use) and has a HEAVY christian influence can't be too liberal. The suburbs are fiscally conservative at that.

The only thing liberal about this region (and the entire state of Michigan) are the unions, and Detroit proper is fiscally liberal/socially conservative.

I have lived in Michigan all my life. What you say here is true, the state only leans democrat because of Unions, and that influence is waning. Michigan has NEVER been socially liberal. This is a traditional values state, and a pro gun/hunting state. You will find many big gas guzzling American trucks here, and we use them to tow huge campers in the summer and gas guzzling snomobiles in the winter. In the fall we fill them with the deer we shoot every fall. There is no place worse for a gay activist, enviromentalist or an anti hunter to exist than in Michigan. I have always laughed when someone suggests that Michigan is a liberal state. Those who do have never been here, and they have never met too many Michiganders. Michigan residents are very distrusting of the business world and wall street and for that reason unions still have some support here. Democrats usually get thier votes, but alot of the dems that get elected here are of the "blue dog" variety. Michigan has a split personality politically, populist and anti corporate America on one hand, but traditonal values at the same time. These two forces try to reconcile themselves every election cylce. That is why our state never goes overwhelming to one side or the other. Only in Michigan could a gay marriage ban pass by 70% in very same election that the state went for John Kerry by 1%. Obvioulsly many of the people who voted for Kerry also supported banning gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
Reputation: 2067
DC is liberal to the core. DC supports gay marriage. As for jmusmc, don't feed into his racism. He brings up some assinine race related fact every other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Reputation: 4890
In no particular order

New York City
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Boston
Seattle
Denver
Chicago
Houston
Austin
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top