U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minneapolis/St. Paul is not strictly liberal, unfortunately. There are many conservatives here and we almost elected a "red" governor. People with money often vote conservatively to protect it, and there is a lot of money here.
Not in Minneapolis! Minneapolis and most of the inner-ring suburbs are about as liberal as you can get. WE didn't vote for a "red" governor. The city is VERY socially and politically liberal. Many of the suburbs and exurbs are becoming far more conservative (on many issues), but the city itself is still among the most socially liberal places I've ever lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Liberalness is overrated.

It's like OK, this person supports homosexuality, legalizing weed, free healthcare and more, but hate Christianity, southern culture, conservatives and more.

I think both liberals and conservatives can be rather ignorant and close-minded; another thing about these "open-minded" areas is that they lack vibrant black communities.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
True....extreme right OR left can be downright irritating. Stay near the middle people!!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
True....extreme right OR left can be downright irritating. Stay near the middle people!!
Exactly. Gimme a moderate city.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:41 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

It's like OK, this person supports homosexuality, legalizing weed, free healthcare and more, but hate Christianity, southern culture, conservatives and more.

I think both liberals and conservatives can be rather ignorant and close-minded; another thing about these "open-minded" areas is that they lack vibrant black communities.
Not every liberal "hates" Christianity, the south, conservatives, etc. I know many very liberal Christians; they happen to think that liberal social and political policies align closely with their religious faith. There are also plenty of Southern liberals. America as a whole seems to love easy sound-bite generalizations, but the reality is far more complex.

As far as vibrant black communities: Minneapolis doesn't have the long-standing African American communities like you find in places like DC, but there is certainly a black "community", and if you include African-born black people in "black community" than the city has a very vibrant Somali community. And as far as San Francisco goes (the other most liberal city I've lived in) the black population is pretty small, but since when does percentage of black residents define a city? It's still a diverse place.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not every liberal "hates" Christianity, the south, conservatives, etc. I know many very liberal Christians; they happen to think that liberal social and political policies align closely with their religious faith. There are also plenty of Southern liberals. America as a whole seems to love easy sound-bite generalizations, but the reality is far more complex.

As far as vibrant black communities: Minneapolis doesn't have the long-standing African American communities like you find in places like DC, but there is certainly a black "community", and if you include African-born black people in "black community" than the city has a very vibrant Somali community. And as far as San Francisco goes (the other most liberal city I've lived in) the black population is pretty small, but since when does percentage of black residents define a city? It's still a diverse place.
Does it define a city? No. Does it have any relevance to tolerance? Very much.

I'd love to see places like Seattle and SF become AA magnets like Atlanta and see how the citizens of these areas handle it.

I agree with everything else you stated though and didn't mean to generalize liberals; I know all aren't the same, but the extreme ends of both conservativeness and liberalness can be annoying.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:55 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Aparently you can't truly be liberal if you live around black people -- it's too overwhelming!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Aparently you can't truly be liberal if you live around black people -- it's too overwhelming!
Lol.......if you say so.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,133,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I've been saying this on these forums for a while now. It's gotten to the point where I say "Devil's Advocate" when somebody asks my political views. I think both sides are idiotic about certain issues.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,133,545 times
Quote:
I think you were misinterpreting what he was saying. It's simply interesting to note that most of the cities that pride themselves on being tolerant towards blacks have very little blacks there.

Austin is the same way when it comes to touting itself as liberal. But you just wait until the Texas Relays roll around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or