U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM

6,990 posts, read 14,120,062 times

Advertisements

According to a 2006 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was the highest in the US for any city with more than a quarter million residents with $73,804 annually. The median income for a family was $83,089.[3] Males had a median income of $49,347 versus $36,936 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,697. About 6.0% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.3% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 AM

386 posts, read 1,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Salt Lake seemed like a decent option, but there's the lack of fresh water, plus I'm not sure I dig the whole mormon/polygamy thing...

Denver's definitely more pricey than I'm looking for, plus I'm not a big fan of snow... I've had more than my share growing up in NY.

Haven't looked at San Antonio yet, will check into it though.

Hmm... I've had a difficult time trying to find much in the way of affordable mini-'McMansions' that you can find in the DFW area. (So sue me I'm a sucker for the suburbia lifestyle, I like nice yards and not having houses absolutely packed together). Most of the affordable housing in Chicago seems to be all in the look of the house on "Family Matters" (although if there are some affordable stereotypical suburbs, please let me know, I just haven't been able to locate them). Nor am I a fan of spending an hour commuting to and from work, or the frigid winters.

It's interesting, thinking about the humidity deal. My only real objection to the humidity is when I'd have to do yard work or other strenuous outdoor labor. So maybe the humidity isn't all that bad...

Another thing I have a strong dislike for is canopies of power lines, it just really sucks the beauty right out of an area. It seems to be a big thing in many areas of Chicago, Pittsburgh, Toronto, etc.
I would forget Chicago. It's way more expensive than it should be and the weather is about as bad as it gets. It's a great town...but it just doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Denver is also a great town...but there is an enormous amount of snow and, like Chicago, it's way more expensive than it should be. And the economy in Denver is really cranky and, currently, pretty bad. People there simply do not earn enough to compensate for the ridiculous cost of living.

I think you'd do well in the southwest....especially San Antonio and Austin. The tech economies in those cities are en fuego, the real estate markets are relatively solid, and the cost of living is excellent. People are flocking to Texas for a reason....it's a great value and the economy won't cool down.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 AM

87,043 posts, read 102,742,261 times
The average snowfall in Denver is 60"/yr. The "standard deviation", so to speak is wide. Some years there is half that, some (fewer) years, twice as much. Despite what many who have never been here like to think, we are not knee-deep in snow all winter. Most of the time it is cool and sunny. The snow usually melts in two to three days. It rarely "snows on snow" here.

I wouldn't worry about the polygamy in Salt Lake City. It has been against the law in Utah for over 100 yrs. What little polygamy is practiced is "under the radar".

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I would forget Chicago. It's way more expensive than it should be and the weather is about as bad as it gets. It's a great town...but it just doesn't sound like what you're looking for
Here we go again.... There is a reason its expensive. Its desireable. Its fun. Its huge. Its diverse. The suburbs are wonderful. Should I go on???

And the weather here is not a peach in winter, but its not that bad either. You want a bad winter? Head to MPLS or Alaska or Maine, etc. Temps here in winter can range from 0 to 65 degrees, with averages in the 30s/40s, which is pretty typical for winters up here. Spring, summer and fall are glorious, with some stretches of Florida-like humidity here and there during summer.

I think Chicago would be a great place for a young person, such as himself. Especially if you get into the hip 'hoods.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,674,412 times
Chicago's nice, but I agree that you'd have to be prepared for the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.