U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,358,366 times

Advertisements

What would you say is the ideal place to live based on the following:

1. Low cost of living (especially housing)
2. Strong tech job market (software development)
3. Warm, but low humidity (Rochester winters drag on forever)
4. Near fresh water that won't dry up (like Atlanta's issues)
5. Good public education system (girlfriend's son is 5)
6. Low crime (or at least, isolated higher crime areas)

That's not too much to ask for is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Almost every city I could think of has some undesireables on your list. Id recommend Phoenix, but its really, really hot in summer and not near any fresh water. Id also recommend Chicago, but its very cold in winter and quite expensive. I wouldve recommend Atlanta, but then again there is the water issue and humidity. Austin/Houston/Dallas was another, but theyre also extremely humid. L.A. is another, but its outrageously expensive. I dunno, maybe Albuquerque, but then there is the water issue. Seattle? But the winter/spring/fall are horribly cloudy and decently humid (their summers are nice though). Im stumped.

Can anyone lend ol' Steve-o a hand? lol

Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,093,325 times
You pretty much described everyone's dream city.

I think it's Huntsville, Alabama that describes that. I'm pretty sure that's the city in AL with the tech industry. However, it's humid and their drought is only a little better than Atlanta's.

San Jose, CA also describes that, especially with the tech industry...Silicon Valley. The weather is warm, not humid, low crime, new city so most likely good schools, but it is one of the most expensive cities for real estate in the US.

Seattle has a good tech industry, but it is not warm and sunny there. They do have a fairly low COL. The crime is pretty low, but I don't know about schools.

Los Angeles has thousands and thousands of tech jobs, but is very expensive. Pasadena, El Segundo, Westchester, Fullerton, and many other places have lots of tech, while there are several other random tech places scattered about the metro area. CA has the best public university system if you decide to stay long enough for her child to go to college.

You should probably narrow it down to a few cities you just flat out like. For example, if you like Boston or Dallas, or Denver, add it to your list. Then once you have a list of cities you like, research the amount of tech jobs in the area. If there is a high amount in several of those cities, we can better help you on this site to narrow it down to maybe 5 or less. Right now, we are talking about the whole country and that is just way too much to cover.

What is your price range also?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 PM

808 posts, read 2,146,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post

PITTSBURGH!!! It's only a little warmer than Rochester though , and kinda humid, but it fits all of your other requirements to a T.

1. it's really cheap.
2. great tech job market
4. three rivers, so you never have to worry about water
5. Incredible schools in the inner suburbs
6. very low crime

Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times
Due to the forclosure thing, Sacramento is actually really affordable right now. May be worth looking into?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,338,550 times
Try Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix or some other southwestern city. I also recommend Texas. Austin might fit your criteria.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
Quote:

Somewhere in the midwest maybe.

Unfortunately St. Louis doesn't meet all of those. Cost of living is low. I'm not sure about Tech jobs. Humidity is probably too high for your liking. It'd be hard for both the Mississippi and Missouri to dry up (I read that St. Louis actually has some of the best-tasting water in the country). The city schools are not good, but there are a number of great public, charter, and magnet schools, as well as good suburban schools. And the crime tends to be situated in the North and East (Illinois) side of St. Louis.

Anyway, I'd suggest checking somewhere in the midwest as far as cost of living. The south would probably have to much humidity for you.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM

455 posts, read 1,358,366 times
Thanks for all your advice so far guys, I'm in the process of coming up with a short list of cities that I'm considering...

So far, the biggies that are definitely not options are Chicago (although was quite nice for weather when I visited in October 06) and LA. Cost of living is a high priority, I refuse to get into an upside-down mortgage situation, and the idea of purchasing a small 2 bedroom shack and paying for it until I'm 90 isn't exactly appealing.

As far as humidity, I've visited both Hawaii and South Carolina (Charleston and Edisto Island), so how would cities like Atlanta or Dallas compare? How about mosquitoes? (ick!)

I'm still a fairly recent college grad (~2 years out), paying down student loans and don't have the experience to warrant the higher pay levels (yet). So I'd like to keep housing relatively low-cost, 3+ bedrooms for <$150k.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,813 times
Salt Lake....but then I guess you don't have "fresh" water exactly. lol.

Denver would be a good fit....but it's pretty expensive.

Have you thought of San Antonio? It's economy is smoking hot, it's pretty inexpensive, and if you're looking to buy real estate, San Antonio is one of the few places where you'd be making a really wise investment.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Quote:
So far, the biggies that are definitely not options are Chicago (although was quite nice for weather when I visited in October 06) and LA. Cost of living is a high priority, I refuse to get into an upside-down mortgage situation, and the idea of purchasing a small 2 bedroom shack and paying for it until I'm 90 isn't exactly appealing.

As far as humidity, I've visited both Hawaii and South Carolina (Charleston and Edisto Island), so how would cities like Atlanta or Dallas compare? How about mosquitoes? (ick!)
Thats where youre wrong. There are MANY affordable areas of Chicago, and the jobs pay very well. Dont make the assumption that all of Chicago is ridiculously expensive, its ALOT cheaper than L.A. There are TONS of neighborhoods to choose from, many of them are very exciting places to live, with endless nightlife, etc. And the nice thing is that you can easily live on the northside and commute downtown via Chicago's extensive public transportation system. It eliminates the need to own a car which can save you even more money.

And the humidity in Atlanta is very similar to Charleston, in the summer its quite appaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.