Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

A sleeper may be Delaware, perhaps somewhere around Middletown. That puts you close enough to Newark, Wilmington and Dover, while giving you space and good schools, with a diverse population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,278 times
I lived in Alpharetta, many years ago. Not sure what it is like now, but the people were mostly transplants from all over the country and world, so lots of diversity. It was already very commercialized at the time though, without a lot of open land. As far as weather, I liked that we got all 4 seasons, but the cold parts were short. We even got some snow, but I remember temperatures were usually around 45-50 degrees. However, more than half of the year was spent over 70 degrees. Very ideal.

I wish I found my fellow Massachusetts folks friendly! Maybe it depends what region? My brother lives near Amherst, and I certainly think people are more laid-back and less aggressive/rude over there. Cold though, with too much snow! I am not opposed to Delaware, parts of Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina. I just need more direction in terms of what areas might be a good match for us, because I know nothing of those states.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:40 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are pretty much looking at the big 4 California metros (LA, Bay Area, San Diego and Sacramento) to meet all your requirements
Given the o.p.'s post i can't imagine why you'd recommend any of these areas in California (or most of CA at all for that matter).
Sacramento is so hot (and dry!) in the summer months and the air quality is horrible and basically, it's neither here nor there.
L.A. barely meets any of the o.p.'s criteria and neither does San Diego?
And the S.F. bay area is hugely impacted (population), obscenely expensive, over-run with Silicon Valley a** holes and jeez, California is dealing with serious drought not to mention the fact that the state is on fire.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
If it weren't for the weather thing, I'd say stay in Mass. and come out to the Northampton area! Meets pretty much all of your needs otherwise. BUT -- how about Ashland or Corvallis, OR?
I was thinking Ashland as well.
Not sure if they afford property there though.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.uACAD3Ob3LI >>> Images for Rogue Valley, Oregon

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ashland+oregon >>> Images of Ashland, Oregon

Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Carrollton, Georgia.
Lots horses ,lots of horse farms ,nice small college,50 miles from Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
One my buddies moved from Boston to Chapel Hill NC and loves it and another of my college friends moved from Nashville to Charlottesville VA, if you like college towns and can afford the living they are both amazing towns.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:55 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansaway33 View Post
TOWN or smaller (people always seem to miss this) with low population density, with a lot of space between neighbors
Local farms and food
Lots of nature for hiking, biking, horseback riding
Cultural activities such as festivals, art museums and playhouses
Friendly, kind-hearted people (The people in our area of Massachusetts are hyper-aggressive and are constantly angry. It's a very negative atmosphere and I'm tied of feeling emotionally assaulted at every corner. I realize I'm sensitive, but I need a "don't sweat the small stuff" atmosphere.)
Moderate-Liberal mindsets
A value on education along with good school systems
Downtown areas are fine
Cultural diversity would be great, but I don't expect it in a more rural area
No strip malls/ numerous chains
Preferably a coastal state, though we're open to other options
Access to jobs, so not a total dead zone
I think Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC nails your criteria quite well and if looking for acreage even outlying areas such as Pittsboro, Hillsborough, Mebane and Saxapahaw could work well with a good chunk of a similar demographic that wants acreage yet proximity to town and it's amenities.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Given the o.p.'s post i can't imagine why you'd recommend any of these areas in California (or most of CA at all for that matter).
Sacramento is so hot (and dry!) in the summer months and the air quality is horrible and basically, it's neither here nor there.
L.A. barely meets any of the o.p.'s criteria and neither does San Diego?
And the S.F. bay area is hugely impacted (population), obscenely expensive, over-run with Silicon Valley a** holes and jeez, California is dealing with serious drought not to mention the fact that the state is on fire.
They wanted a place that was mild, with no snow, and near jobs and ammenities...

Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansaway33 View Post
Thank you!

We have horses, so we do need the land. The land is one aspect that we are are not willing to compromise at all. Id rather give up other points on our list, to be honest. It is tough because there are areas in New England that meet all requirements, except for the weather.

I will check out Hillsborough, definitely. Those temperatures are tolerable, I think. Reminds me a lot of where we lived in Georgia, which was really nice in terms of climate.

Does anyone think areas of Virginia, Oregon, or Washington might work for us?
I lived in Northern Virginia for a year and it's just as expensive as MA if not more expensive in some areas. If schools don't matter you can find something cheaper and the further away you get from DC the cheaper homes get and the more land you can afford....but the further away you get from DC the further away you get from jobs.

I know people in OR and WA and I love both areas but again most jobs are centered around Seattle or Portland. In OR the job market isn't even that hot in Portland and outside of the city it's really hard to come by a job unless it's at one of the universities. Seattle is also very expensive and getting more crowded, more traffic etc. You would have to live away from the cities to afford a home with land.

The main problem you will run into is that places where land is cheap don't have jobs.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If you move south, you will be complaining about the lack of job opportunities and politics. Virginia is a liberal state with lots of rural in the central part of the state. It would be colder than 50 in the winter, but better than MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.