U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,327,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
guess it depends on what you consdier "going on"

*raises eyebrows*
Well, the states listed are, for the most part, not that populated, even though there may be a large city here and there. Lets see, New Mexico is a desert. Montana while absolutely beautiful is totally sparse as well as South Dakota and Idaho. Oklahoma is in a giant prairie field. Tennessee seems like it has the most going for it, West Virginia has what, some beautiful mountains and coal mines? Mississippi and Alabama, swamps? Alaska? Not to offend anyone, I do claim ignorance here. Just my two cents (and yes, someone did ask for it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I wouldn't necessarily place West Virginia in that category at all. They have always voted and leaned to the democratic party until very recently.
What does that have to do with anything? Pennsylvania is die-hard Democrat, but people here are VERY socially conservative. One can be Democrat and still be a die-hard conservative. There is growing support behind a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages AND civil unions in Pennsylvania, along with restricting hospital visitation rights, employment benefits, tax benefits, etc. For as much as I love this state, if and when this ban passes I'll have to relocate to a more progressive state.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 PM

362 posts, read 1,632,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, the states listed are, for the most part, not that populated, even though there may be a large city here and there. Lets see, New Mexico is a desert. Montana while absolutely beautiful is totally sparse as well as South Dakota and Idaho. Oklahoma is in a giant prairie field. Tennessee seems like it has the most going for it, West Virginia has what, some beautiful mountains and coal mines? Mississippi and Alabama, swamps? Alaska? Not to offend anyone, I do claim ignorance here. Just my two cents (and yes, someone did ask for it).
k-luv, you were criticizing someone on another thread for making generalizations. You seem to be making quite a few here... Maybe you should visit these states, and try to get to know them before you brush them aside with "not a lot going on." Seems fairly closed-minded to me.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,616,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
dude, New Mexico is definitely not a desert, they have the Rocky Mountains running RIGHT through them, and Oklahoma has Oklahoma City and Tulsa, and NM has Albuquerque, and MS and AL some beautiful scenery, and where in the hell did you get that there are swamps in AL?
AL has the Appalachain Mtns in the northeastern parts of the state.

dude, that is seriously like the most ignorant post i've seen here.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
If you don't want to give upwards of half your money to the government, these are the states for you!

10. West Virginia
9. Idaho
8. Montana
7. South Dakota
6. New Mexico
5. Tennessee
4. Oklahoma
3. Mississippi
2. Alaska
1. Alabama
West Virginia gets so much pork from Sen. Byrd that they don't need taxes.
Idaho, Montana and S. Dak. have few places and people that they need to support.
New Mexico and Okla. have huge swaths of government land.
Alaskans get thousands of dollars just for living there.
Mississippi and Alabama get among the most federal tax dollars of any state in the Union. As a Minnesotan, I am paying for their illetracy and infant mortality rates right now.
Having low taxes is easy when other people have to pay them for you.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,338,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
As a Minnesotan, I am paying for their illetracy and infant mortality rates right now.
Illiteracy

That proves it folks!
Doesn't Minnesota have some of the best educational systems in the country?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
dude, New Mexico is definitely not a desert, they have the Rocky Mountains running RIGHT through them, and Oklahoma has Oklahoma City and Tulsa, and NM has Albuquerque, and MS and AL some beautiful scenery, and where in the hell did you get that there are swamps in AL?
AL has the Appalachain Mtns in the northeastern parts of the state.

dude, that is seriously like the most ignorant post i've seen here.
Dude, seriously, you say DUDE a lot!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM

217 posts, read 813,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Illiteracy

That proves it folks!
Doesn't Minnesota have some of the best educational systems in the country?
Dontch'a know it!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,616,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Dude, seriously, you say DUDE a lot!
sorry, DUDE.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
Where was NC on that list. Everybody that moves here complains about our taxes. What kind of taxes were they listing. We paid quite a few taxes when we vacationed in Tennessee. I like the idea that states know how to make other states pay for them. Not so nice for us, but nice for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or