U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 09:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 994,397 times

Advertisements

I am training to become a middle school teacher, and don't have too much longer. I am an allergy sufferer who dislikes heat and humidity. I am also not very religious and find the south too preachy. I especially want to get away from bugs and humidity, which we have in abundance in Shreveport, LA. Summer heat and winter cold are fine, but I want the temperatures to cool off overnight during the summer, and if I can get a little snow every winter, that's a plus. I'm fine with dealing with a higher COL, but not as high as, say, Seattle. Denver is maybe the highest COL I would want to go, and is also what I think may be my best city, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:29 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,448,693 times
I would say Albuquerque or Santa Fe would be right for you. Low humidity, always cool at night, some snow in the winter, lack of Southern "preachy" culture, beautiful surroundings. Albuquerque has the benefits of a medium to large city, and Santa Fe is more laid back. The high altitude in Santa Fe can make for some very cold winter weather, but lots of sun even when cold.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I would say Albuquerque or Santa Fe would be right for you. Low humidity, always cool at night, some snow in the winter, lack of Southern "preachy" culture, beautiful surroundings. Albuquerque has the benefits of a medium to large city, and Santa Fe is more laid back. The high altitude in Santa Fe can make for some very cold winter weather, but lots of sun even when cold.
That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 AM

56,784 posts, read 81,149,048 times
I wonder if Salt Lake City would be another potential choice.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if Salt Lake City would be another potential choice.
Too Conservative and Too Religious. I'm personally somewhere between a Liberal and a Libertarian, so as long as there is basic economic protection for people and not overly high taxes, personal freedom is a theme I'm looking for. That said, it is pretty in that area.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM

1,262 posts, read 831,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Too Conservative and Too Religious. I'm personally somewhere between a Liberal and a Libertarian, so as long as there is basic economic protection for people and not overly high taxes, personal freedom is a theme I'm looking for. That said, it is pretty in that area.
If that's the case then you should be looking at more conservative areas.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:18 PM

56,784 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
That may not be the case for the actual city or select suburbs though.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That may not be the case for the actual city or select suburbs though.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Democrat
That is about where I am, though I'm not sure if any place aligns all the way.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 PM

12,972 posts, read 4,679,878 times
Spokane, Washington sounds perfect for you. Middle school teachers earn $63k on average, $13k more than in Denver. Summers cool off from the mid-80s to the mid-50s at night and there is snow in the winter. Washington is one of the least religious states in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or