U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:30 PM

613 posts, read 977,337 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis is often overlooked and could work well for you. And if you're open to small cites, Eugene, OR and Bellingham, WA both offer a lot in the way of the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:29 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,864,721 times
If you like hiking, see post 11 for Cleveland.

Looking to move. What all four seasons

Old 08-15-2016, 04:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Minneapolis is often overlooked and could work well for you. And if you're open to small cites, Eugene, OR and Bellingham, WA both offer a lot in the way of the outdoors.
I was going to suggest St Paul, it seems to be the hub for middle aged lesbians in the Twin Cities. There are a lot of outdoor activities in the Twin Cities, especially in Minneapolis and St Paul proper - not just a great bike network, but also lakes and large forests that are surprising to find in the heart of a major city.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
I would echo what other posters are saying, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Cleveland and Columbus would be good places to start your search. Other posters might have better insight but I don't think $50K a year will go terribly far in a place like Seattle or Denver.

It sounds like you are really hot on nature. I would put Minneapolis and Cleveland ahead of Columbus in that category. However I do think our city has a lot to offer in that category if you know where to go.

Last edited by Buckeye614; 08-15-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM

9,419 posts, read 10,181,013 times
Boulder, Co. I have two female friends who live there ,both are single lesbians. Some websites have a "gay and lesbian index" on one of those sites it list Boulder as 138 with 100 being average. The gay male 98, the gay female 178.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,557 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've got time off saved up, so I can check out several places in the next 6 months or so. I would prefer smaller cities so it's good to have some to look at. Most places seem to recomend the big, expensive cities.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,718 times
May I suggest Burlington, Vermont, or Portland, Maine? Both very LGBT friendly, not exactly cheap but cheaper than places like Seattle, mild summers, on the water, you're never very far from natural beauty. Fitness is a big deal in both cities. Cold winters, but you say you don't care about that.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Minneapolis is about 16% LGBT, its one of the gayest cities. Lotta trees, definitely parks and water.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker1234 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've got time off saved up, so I can check out several places in the next 6 months or so. I would prefer smaller cities so it's good to have some to look at. Most places seem to recomend the big, expensive cities.
Cleveland has several relatively inexpensive suburbs, close to parks, etc.

If you want cheap, perhaps check out a place like Painesville. If you're a hiker, it's a short distance from Holden Arboretum, Lake Erie beaches (Mentor Headlands, Fairport Harbor), and very good Lake Metroparks (Beaty Landing actually is in the city).

canopywalk

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/headlandsbeach

Mentor Marsh

Fairport Harbor Lakefront Park | Lake Metroparks

Beaty Landing | Lake Metroparks

Parks & Trails | Lake Metroparks

Yet Painesville is less than a 30-minute drive to University Circle, one of the nation's cultural centers, and just over half an hour to PlayhouseSquare, one of the nation's great theater districts. Check out PlayhouseSquare smart seats, a great bargain especially considering that the Hanna and Allen Theatres in particular have no bad seats.

http://www.playhousesquare.org/event...ts/smart-seats

The Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the nation's best, has no admission charge to its general galleries.

I can't imagine a much cheaper place with superior amenities to live than Greater Cleveland.

Painesville is just west of the well regarded Grand River wine district.

Ohio's wine region - Grand River Valley

If you want a more urban environment, Lakewood, OH, is immediately adjacent to Cleveland and likely would offer some reasonable rents. Much of Cleveland's gay community seems to be centered on the West Side of Cleveland.

It all depends upon exactly what you're looking for in a new location. Obviously, I know the Greater Cleveland area better than other places, and I'm not totally familiar with the many options in Greater Cleveland.

Clintonville in Columbus definitely would be worth checking out, as I suspect rents there may be reasonable.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-16-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Minneapolis is about 16% LGBT, its one of the gayest cities. Lotta trees, definitely parks and water.
What's the source for this? Based on other articles that I've read, this would be about 3 times the LGBT percentage of population in San Francisco.

<<In the Gallup survey, the variation in the percentage of people who identify as gay is relatively narrow, with San Francisco’s percentage just 2.6 percentage points higher than the national average of 3.6 percent. The lowest-ranking metro area — Birmingham, Ala. — is just one point below the national average.>>

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...llup-poll.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or