U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM

10,541 posts, read 14,362,196 times

Advertisements

Going to repeat some, they really are pretty awe inspiring IMO, so Pictured Rocks and Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI, Letchworth Park in NY get my vote.
I'll add the underground lake at Sweetwater TN although I have yet to see it in person, but I love caves! http://infactcollaborative.com/wp-co...s-Lost-Sea.jpg
While not actually in the middle of the country, I'd also suggest a visit to a southern cypress swamp if you like eerily haunting yet beautiful places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 9,569,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Western NY
Western NY is so underrated, Letchworth State Park, The Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, Chimney Bluffs, so much cool stuff

Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 AM

997 posts, read 601,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
If you're road-tripping through the Badlands/ Mt. Rushmore area, and you're looking for quirky Americana kitsch, also worth checking out is the Corn Palace:

Mitchell Corn Palace, SD | Official Website

And if you're interested, you can book a semi-private caving experience with a park ranger in Jewel or Wind cave. You'll need to supply most of your own gear/padding.
Kitch indeed, but man when we went here we were really disappointed.

The corn is really just the outside facade, you go in and there is this huge gymnasium of kiosks of vendors hawking stuff. It was on the way to everywhere else we were going, but if we took that route again I would not stop again.

Maybe it's changed??

Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 AM

32,431 posts, read 59,944,052 times
I take it by "no coasts" you don't mean the North Coast.

Any Great Lake viewed from any angle or elevation
mountains in Tennessee and Kentucky
dairy farms in Wisconsin
Grant Park in Chicago
driving along the Ohio River in Ohio and Indiana
vineyards in Erie County, Pa., and Chautauqua County, N.Y.
along the upper Susquehanna and Allegheny rivers in New York and Pennsylvania
the view of Cleveland's skyline from Edgewater Park
the view of Cincinnati's skyline from the top of Sycamore Street or from Devou Park in Covington
the view of Dayton's skyline from the Dayton Art Institute

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Western NY is so underrated, Letchworth State Park, The Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, Chimney Bluffs, so much cool stuff
Panama Rocks, Chautauqua Lake, vineyards in Chautauqua County, lake towns of Silver Creek and Dunkirk, Westfield and Mayville and Bemus Point ... etc.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
New York State and Pennsylvania are in the middle of the country?!

Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 PM

10,541 posts, read 14,362,196 times
Neither is Michigan really, or it's kinda out of the way if you're going cross country. At least they qualify as not on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or