Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times

Advertisements

Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are all must-sees. That whole part of the country is just gorgeous. However, one of my favorite getaways is the Bighorn Mountain range in Wyoming. It's beautiful but not nearly as crowded as the National Parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 02:29 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore certainly are among the most beautiful locations in the Midwest.

If the middle of the country includes Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, the list is endless. Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone NP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon NP, Bryce Canyon NP are just a part of the list. E.g., Page, AZ, offers Horseshoe Bend, and Antelope and other slot canyons. Monument Valley certainly would be a top destination. Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon shouldn't be skipped.

This album highlights Michigan, but covers many other scenic highlights in the U.S.

Michigan: Photos

randomSPACE - Photos & Trip Reports

Old 08-16-2016, 03:08 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI;
Devil's Lake State Park, WI;
Mississippi Palisades State Park, IL;
Gas Station Jesus outside of Dubuque, IA (check out Roadside America Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions for more eccentric sites)...
And my favorite spot ever...Great Sand Dunes National Park, CO

Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
World's Largest Ball of Twine Built By a Single Person, Darwin, MN

(from wiki)

Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Great recommendations, rep all around. I'm into the quirky stuff like the big ball of twine and Gas Station Jesus, glad posters are jumping in with those suggestions too.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are all must-sees. That whole part of the country is just gorgeous. However, one of my favorite getaways is the Bighorn Mountain range in Wyoming. It's beautiful but not nearly as crowded as the National Parks.
Agreed.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Roadsideamerica.com for quirky America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Great recommendations, rep all around. I'm into the quirky stuff like the big ball of twine and Gas Station Jesus, glad posters are jumping in with those suggestions too.
Are you aware of this website?

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Old 08-18-2016, 01:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
You have to drive Highway 20 across Nebraska. Make sure you stop at the Fur Trade museum in Chadron. At Valentine veer up to Highway 12. Such a beautiful drive.

Coming or going from the Black Hills of SD, you really need to stop in Lemmon and see Petrified Wood Park and John Lopez' absolutely gorgeous sculptures. Seriously, these sculptures are stunning.

If you like accumulations of cool weird stuff, stop at Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden, NE and Har-Ber Village near Grove, OK

When you visit the beautiful Driftless area at the corner of MN/IA/WI(make sure you go rafting on the Root River. On your way west to Nebraska, stop at the Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend, IA. Side trips in Iowa might include the Living History Farms in Urbandale, and the town of Pella, where the best cookies in the world are sold at Jaarsma bakery.

If you're up in MN going to the Boundary Waters, make sure to take the underground tour at Sudan Underground Mine State Park. And stare down a gigantic iron mine pit in Hibbing or anywhere near Virginia. Oh, and you have to go to the source of the Mississippi River near Bemidji, and admire Paul Bunyan and Babe nearby.

Even though I hate Arkansas (having lived there) I'm still going to recommend the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View. The Lodge there has has really nice rooms and the Folk Center has great performances of folk/gospel/Americana/and traditional country music.

My favorite place in Oklahoma is Alabaster Caverns State Park near Freedom.

There's lots of other fun places. I'll try to add more as I think of them.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 PM

306 posts, read 336,244 times
Yellowstone
Wisconsin driftless
Badlands

Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Ouachita and Ozark Mountains of Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.