U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,991 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of two that moved back to my hometown about 7 years ago. After my divorce, my mother has started to really impose on my life and is basically suffocating me as if I was 12! Although my whole family and almost all my friends are here, I really feel a need for freedom and change. I want to move somewhere warm, where I can ride my Harley and raise my kids. I would need a decent job to support us on, and I would probably rent vs buying for the time being. I do have a house to sell her, and then Im one step closer to freedom!

Anyone have any ideas where to move where I'd feel safe and stable, warm, and HAPPY? I home school my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,347,354 times
What are some of your other qualifications? Just "warm" doesn't leave much for us to go on. Do you like the ocean? Mountains? The South? Pacific Northwest? Big cities? Small cities? Suburbs?

Give a little depth...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Being in Oregon all my life I don't know. I love to spend my days off at the river or lake. I love Vegas but not sure about it since I've heard it's crime rate is BAD, although in my 32 visits, I've never had an issue. I know that the winters here depress me, and living in Portland with the rain was just miserable. I seem to thrive better in the sun....I love temps around 80, and higher if the A/C is working

Mkids are 18 (and in college so she isn't a huge concern with our move), 14 and 5.

I'm a Realtor here. I actually own my own office. I've been a Realtor for 9 years now. Mostly I manage the office now vs showing houses. I have a strong office background. Unfortunately I don't have a degree, so finding something where I make as much as I'm used to making is going to be difficult if not impossible. I just CAN'T live around my mom anymore!!!! She and I own the office together. Love her, but I'm not 12 anymore! Its just gotten really bad in the past year since my divorce.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,115,236 times
I would have to say somewhere in Florida, Vegas, one of the valleys in L.A., Phoenix, Dallas, Albuquerque, San Jose, or Sacramento.

Jacksonville and Tampa are nice, but not Miami for kids. Very humid though. I don't know anyone who enjoys hurricanes.

Veags has some nice suburbs with low crime such as Henderson and Summerlin(sp?).

Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Burbank, Tarzna, Encino, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Glendale, or Santa Clarita in Los Angeles. Summers are usually 90's-110's while winters can have lows in the 30's but highs in the 60's.

Phoenix has nice areas. Boiling summers with ugly scenery though.

Dallas has hot summers, but it snows occasionally in winter.

Albuquerque gets warm in summer, but snows in winter.

San Jose is moderate with 80's and 90's in the summer and 50's in the winter.

Sacramento has hot summers and cool winters with 40's and 50's being normal.

I would probably go with LA, Vegas, San Jose, Dallas, Albuquerque, or Sacramento, in no particular order. However, LA has easy access to the ocean and Vegas has Lake Mead. I don't know about the others though.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,347,354 times
Jesse has some great suggestions. I always recommend Denver to people if they are looking for sun. Denver gets more sun annually than Southern California and you won't pay as much for it. Winters are not that bad there either. Snow tends to melt within a day or two because temperatures stay relatively high.

Denver's suburbs have very low crime rates and Denver is comparable to Portland in size and lifestyle. I am guessing that both are pretty outdoorsy and laid back.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Wow, how could I forget about Denver. I love that city. I would love to go to University of Denver.

The summers there are very warm and not humid. The winters are not bad at all. Snow will fall and stay for a week max. and the temperatures will be in the 40's or 50's the next week and it melts. And they do get tons of sun in Denver. It's well over 300 days per year I think.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM

So any suggestions on the best way to get the ball rollin on picking up and moving? I've been on Careerbuilder.com and hotjobs.com every day.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Jobing.com is a new site.

Also check Craigslist.com for the areas. You can even search rentals in the area as well.

Or, just research some jobs out here and contact the company directly. If you are good enough, some companies will fly you out for an interview.

What are you working in?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Real estate...I own my own office here with my mom...argh! If I stay here, I'm going to end up drinking! LOL

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Maybe you should start with another real estate company such as Coldwell Banker or Re/Max until you are settled in. Then, with all your experience, try to open your own.

Here are some others you could work for.
los angeles real estate jobs classifieds - craigslist

Just do the same for all the other cities by clicking on them here and then on the real estate jobs.
craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or