U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM

470 posts, read 287,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I still say Philadelphia/New York and other NE cities. This Biomass map shows that the NE is more densely covered than the SE and also much more than most of the west.
This doesn't necessarily indicate that the NE has higher tree cover volume than the SE. Biomass includes both living organism mass, and dead organism mass (fallen trees, leaf litter, etc), and there will be higher biomass in the North than in the South because the cooler climate of the North slows down the decaying/nutrient turnover process. As a result, more dead matter is left in Northern forests vs the southern forests, which contributes to the biomass totals.

Last edited by VIRAL; 08-17-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times
Cities that I've been to that come to mind: Charlotte, Atlanta, Asheville (NC), Washington (DC), Seattle, Portland (OR), Burlington (VT).

Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM

2,696 posts, read 988,733 times
Cue the obligatory post arguing that NYC is somehow the greenest.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
That I've been to... Atlanta and Minneapolis.

The Miami area, besides neighbourhoods like Coral Gables, is very lacking in tree cover.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
greenville SC has to be up there.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM

3,945 posts, read 2,218,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I still say Philadelphia/New York and other NE cities. This Biomass map shows that the NE is more densely covered than the SE and also much more than most of the west.
looking at your map the northwest and the coastal west in general has the highest biomass, the pacific temperate rainforest has the highest biomass in the world, even more than the tropical rainforests. But of course the cities won't have as much biomass. but there are still some large trees such as this one

Old 08-17-2016, 09:37 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
The Piedmont is tree-filled, but nearly all the trees go bare in winter, making for a dead landscape. The other two regions have large amounts of greenery that is seen year-round.
Wait. Aren't you arguing in another thread that "the south is too warm for deciduous trees" ... ?

The South Is Too Warm For Deciduous Trees: Am I Right?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the dominant tree in atlanta is pine so can't say it is that stark in the winter.
Not even close to being true.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM

1,265 posts, read 701,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
looking at your map the northwest and the coastal west in general has the highest biomass, the pacific temperate rainforest has the highest biomass in the world, even more than the tropical rainforests. But of course the cities won't have as much biomass. but there are still some large trees such as this one
The size of the trees blew my mind when I moved out here from the northeastern US. Also how are we defining cities here OP? Is there a min population we are going by? I mean Olympia has a temperate rainforest right in the city itself...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watershed_Park

Old 08-17-2016, 10:56 PM

470 posts, read 287,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Do keep in mind that biomass is higher in the temperate rainforests vs tropical rainforests, since organic matter doesn't decay as fast in the former, due to cooler temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.