U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times

Advertisements

The Brooklyn Bro stereotypes are funny but a bit stale in 2016.

I feel like the Philly Bro (city of Bro love) would be some hybrid of the Ma$shole and Mid Atlantic bro but with the Chicago bro's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,076,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't know! That description fits a more New England stereotype. Not even Annapolis area sailor wannabe bros are like that. Though Annapolis and south Florida area "yachty's" may have similar dress but they are in a whole other world then the general beer/rum drinkin coastal boat bros of the Mid-Atlantic region!

The "coastal bros I would picture wear some kind of boat shoe that works and is comfortable (not sperry) or flip flops (Though Annapolis bros will wear Sperry's though) Shirts may be HUK or Under Armor but the closer one gets to the actual coast it will be some kind of boating oriented T-shirt (might even be in camo) The glasses are not some fancy name brand style glasses but usually quality ones such as Costas or Ocean Waves. Shorts will be some kind of board shorts. All that will be topped with a hat. No, not the captains hat on a stereotypical snobbish New England yachty but a baseball cap with some kind of logo. Basically the same style dress if waxing, fishing, drinking, changing oil, going out on a date to a fancy restaurant or planning on hitting the bars/clubs and closing them down. That's an east coast boat bro how I see it!
I guess we could say that the coastal boat bros are a particular subspecies with a lot of similarities and characteristics, but slightly different regional markings. All species tend to modify their outfits with age, as well. God knows I encountered enough of them when I lived in FL and the Carolinas!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,570,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't know! That description fits a more New England stereotype. Not even Annapolis area sailor wannabe bros are like that. Though Annapolis and south Florida area "yachty's" may have similar dress but they are in a whole other world then the general beer/rum drinkin coastal boat bros of the Mid-Atlantic region!

The "coastal bros I would picture wear some kind of boat shoe that works and is comfortable (not sperry) or flip flops (Though Annapolis bros will wear Sperry's though) Shirts may be HUK or Under Armor but the closer one gets to the actual coast it will be some kind of boating oriented T-shirt (might even be in camo) The glasses are not some fancy name brand style glasses but usually quality ones such as Costas or Ocean Waves. Shorts will be some kind of board shorts. All that will be topped with a hat. No, not the captains hat on a stereotypical snobbish New England yachty but a baseball cap with some kind of logo. Basically the same style dress if waxing, fishing, drinking, changing oil, going out on a date to a fancy restaurant or planning on hitting the bars/clubs and closing them down. That's an east coast boat bro how I see it!
good post , Annapolis is more navy vets but Carolina Yacht Club in Charleston SC is bro capital of the united states. oxfords and polos and boat shoes and tons of rum and whiskey drinks and southern girls and milfs in pearls and sun dresses, though they may not even sail or boat much! its a fashion statement more than anything at southern coastal bars, clubs, etc than actual boating and sailing or god forbid, actual fishing.

people have rich dads and beach homes and boats. most don't even fish or sail

Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM

13,226 posts, read 17,978,149 times
Characteristics of the Pittsburgh bro (a.k.a. Yinzbro)

1. He has a cleanly-shaved head or a buzz cut, often with a "Van Dyke," "soul patch" or "anchor" beard.

2. His weekday wardrobe is a long-sleeved, button-down plaid shirt over a Pittsburgh-themed t-shirt, with loose-fitting blue jeans and skater shoes.

3. His weekend wardrobe is similar to his weekday wardrobe, but with a Steelers or Penguins jersey instead.

4. He has a tattoo on his upper arm, often a Steelers logo, Pirates "P" logo, Penguins logo, old Iron City Beer logo, the number "412," or a tribal tattoo.

5. He drives a 10-year-old Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Civic or Volkswagen Jetta.

6. His favorite bands are AC/DC, Metallica and Guns N' Roses, and he listens to little else.

7. He smokes cigarettes.

8. He doesn't actually live in the city, but instead lives in tired, mediocre suburbs like Baldwin, Brentwood, Munhall, West Mifflin, East Pittsburgh, North Versailles and Turtle Creek.

9. His most frequent vacation destinations are along the East Coast, from the Jersey Shore south to Myrtle Beach.

10. He's visited New York and Chicago once each; Cleveland, Columbus and Washington DC more than once each; and Philadelphia several times, though he pretends to hate it there.

11. Occasionally he considers moving to Florida. If he does move to Florida, then he usually moves back to Pittsburgh within five years.

12. He's graduated from technical school.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,210 times
I feel like some costal snob really nailed in the 'Great Plains bro'. That sounds like a liberal NYers distillation of the worst assumptions of the middle 2/3 of this country.

The Chicago bro however is nearly spot on.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM

436 posts, read 331,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I feel like some costal snob really nailed in the 'Great Plains bro'. That sounds like a liberal NYers distillation of the worst assumptions of the middle 2/3 of this country.

The Chicago bro however is nearly spot on.
Meanwhile the great plains bro describes 60% of the men (and, for the most part, women) in St. Louis.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 604,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The United States of Bros: A Map and Field Guide Funny article. I don't notice any bros in DC, but I probably run with the wrong crowd. Is your current city full of bros? What cities have a lot of bros? And is that a bad thing?
Wilson Blvd in Clarendon (across the river in Arlington) is where all the 'bros' seem to go in the DC area

Old 08-18-2016, 03:03 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
For the Mid-Atlantic bro... I don't know anyone who actually wears boat shoes with socks. I don't think you're supposed to and I definitely don't. Also, pastel colors are more of a Southern prep thing, not a Northern one, so unless they count VA maybe MD (not about to debate the southern mess of MD here) as Mid-Atlantic (which some definitions do and some go by the Census one) this is off. Not that I expect this to be super accurate, nor do I honestly care beyond noticing this and pointing it out, but at least get basic fashion trends right.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:09 PM

4,870 posts, read 2,997,189 times
I've only been to Philly once. But I think Philly bro tends to be muscle bound (to the point of steroid suspicion), tank top, shorts and backwards hat. Am I way off?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM
_OT

2,145 posts, read 1,525,744 times
The Orlando bro would be Lejaun James.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or