U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metric is better overall for the 11 BIGS
MSA 16 80.00%
CSA 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times

Advertisements

For the Big 11 PCSAs in America, which metric do feel is more correctly applicable? (MSA or CSA)

I'm just going to start this topic right now before I get out to get some dinner in New York and then see the city's night scene.

If we had to go down the list of the Big 11 PCSAs in America and I suppose if everyone had to input which metric (MSA or CSA) more closely "depicted reality" (based off their perspectives) and all of that other stuff for each place, which metric would you choose for each city?

I'll start off (all below are in my opinion);

- New York: I'll go with CSA
- Los Angeles: I'll go with CSA
- Chicago: I'll go with CSA
- Washington D.C.: I'll go with CSA
- San Francisco: I'll go with CSA
- Dallas: I'll go with CSA
- Houston: I'll go with CSA
- Miami: I'll go with CSA
- Atlanta: I'll go with CSA
- Philadelphia: I'll go with CSA

I chose CSA for them all because my personal belief is that if we use one metric for one city that we have to use the same metric for all the other cities. I feel it is biased and unfair to use one metric for one city and another metric for other cities, in my personal opinion.

The reason I chose CSA over MSA is because from my vantage point it more closely depicts a city, its suburbs, its exurbs, and its satellite communities the best. My reasoning for choosing CSA is simple, with an area like New York, I feel MSA doesn't adequately account for all of the city's suburbs, it completely leaves out the Connecticut ones. Lets keep it 100 here, Fairfield County wouldn't be that rich, educated, or important if it wasn't for New York. So to not include it (as is the case with MSA) is ludicrous. Same with Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area but these are just my opinions. I also don't mind CSAs with Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Miami, or Atlanta. It isn't like these areas are adding millions of people and gaining such a massive advantage over other cities. Instead they all gain between 200,000 (Houston) to 640,000 (Miami), which in the grand scheme of things is nothing to be getting up and arms over. Seriously.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-16-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,976,691 times
No Urban Area?

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,037,251 times
I would definitely say MSA for Atlanta.

Athens, LaGrange, Thomaston, etc. definitely arent really "Atlanta"
Even within the MSA, outer places like Lamar County, Butts County, Haralson County, and Jasper County dont really seem like "Atlanta" to me. It's a much better metric than the CSA though.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:52 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Urban Area.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Urban Area or MSA.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 PM

7,730 posts, read 4,578,077 times
Literally anything but CSA.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 PM

18,641 posts, read 27,078,190 times
Most of them, I say CSA. For Houston, it doesn't matter. For DFW, it doesn't matter. The CSA doesn't add much nor does the physical sq miles. For DC, easily MSA. Adding Baltimore gives the false sense of believing that DC is about the same size as Chicago when it isn't. But the most laughable is Miami. The metro ends at Jupiter and when the lanes of 95 downsizes from 8-10 to 6 and remains that way until you get to Jacksonville. The fact that Vero Beach which is 139 miles north of Miami is grouped together as the same CSA is hilarious. It's 81 miles to WPB. It's closer to Orlando than it is to Miami. When I'm in Vero Beach and even in Port St Lucie, I do not think I'm in the same metro as Miami. I don't feel that it is even in the same breadth of Miami. People move to Port St Lucie to get away from the Miami metro area.

I think CSA makes the most sense for the Bay and LA but the Bay I believe counts Stockton now. That's stretching it now too.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,678,837 times
Both MSA and CSA put entire counties either in or out. So "LA" goes clear to Nevada, and Seattle includes most of Mt. Rainier National Park. And there are absurd dividing lines between MSAs.

Urban area is at least more granular. Though the population density cutoff is pretty arbitrary.

There are no perfect comparisons.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:43 AM

619 posts, read 441,503 times
For me it's UA or MSA.
MSA is somewhat too broad, CSA is overly broad in all cases.

New York: I'll go with MSA
- Los Angeles: I'll go with MSA
- Chicago: I'll go with MSA
- Washington D.C.: I'll go with MSA
- San Francisco: I'll go with MSA plus SOME of the adjacent cities
- Dallas: I'll go with MSA
- Houston: I'll go with MSA
- Miami: I'll go with MSA
- Atlanta: I'll go with MSA
- Philadelphia: I'll go with MSA

Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
CSA for the Bay Area and LA (or at the least, SF + SJ MSAs and LA + Riverside MSAs). MSA for the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or