U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most valuable city in the US? (excluding NYC and DC)
Los Angeles 44 55.00%
Chicago 8 10.00%
Dallas 0 0%
Houston 4 5.00%
Philadelphia 5 6.25%
Miami 0 0%
Atlanta 0 0%
Boston 3 3.75%
San Francisco 15 18.75%
Phoenix 1 1.25%
Detroit 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:49 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,131,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Time will tell, but it's quite short-sighted to think the competition won't improve outside of the Bay. There are a lot of things to consider (student loan debt & mass unaffordability being two biggies) that will just make the Bay Area an unrealistic option for many. Cities throughout the U.S. are actively campaigning for tech talent and creating those exact environments to GROW their developing tech industries. If it happened in SF, it can happen elsewhere. Only takes one heavy hitter to put you on the map. Once you're there, it's a lot easier to amass more talent. I'm by no means detracting the Bay Area's importance, but to say things like "the Bay and it's not even close" is quite ridiculous, especially when history has proven time and time again that no one stays on top indefinitely and it's not like the Bay is blowing everyone out of the water in any other industry.
But the Bay Area DOES blow everyone out of the water in this industry.

Furthermore, your first point also holds no water either. Seattle has Microsoft and Amazon, 2 of the 10 most valuable companies in the world, but that area still doesnt hold a candle to the Bay Area as far as churning out start ups, patents, capital and global reach.

And you still havent answered my question;
What pain could LA inflict on the world? What flip switched in LA could instantly affect lives in Perth or Paris alike?

None that I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:17 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,475,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But the Bay Area DOES blow everyone out of the water in this industry.

Furthermore, your first point also holds no water either. Seattle has Microsoft and Amazon, 2 of the 10 most valuable companies in the world, but that area still doesnt hold a candle to the Bay Area as far as churning out start ups, patents, capital and global reach.

And you still havent answered my question;
What pain could LA inflict on the world? What flip switched in LA could instantly affect lives in Perth or Paris alike?

None that I can think of.
This post exemplifies the delusions of grandeur. The overnight loss of a single major industry in LA would send capital markets into free fall and likely result in a recession or depression. The Bay Area is King of Tech, but places outside of the Bay are making strides. Venture capitalist are funding tech ventures left and right across the country. They aren't at the run rate we're seeing in the Bay, but they'll close the gap, just as every late bloomer has in other industries. It's myopic to think the Bay Area's tech industry is immune to competition. Competition is what actually drives innovation in our capitalistic society.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
This post exemplifies the delusions of grandeur. The overnight loss of a single major industry in LA would send capital markets into free fall and likely result in a recession or depression. The Bay Area is King of Tech, but places outside of the Bay are making strides. Venture capitalist are funding tech ventures left and right across the country. They aren't at the run rate we're seeing in the Bay, but they'll close the gap, just as every late bloomer has in other industries. It's myopic to think the Bay Area's tech industry is immune to competition. Competition is what actually drives innovation in our capitalistic society.
Haha delusions? Apple and Google's combined dollar value surpasses the entire LA CSA GDP. That's not delusion, that's $1 Trillion in cash. Now. Literally.

And the fact that you refuse to answer this means you can't without admitting your wrong:

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha delusions? Apple and Google's combined dollar value surpasses the entire LA CSA GDP. That's not delusion, that's $1 Trillion in cash. Now. Literally.

And the fact that you refuse to answer this means you can't without admitting your wrong:
How much of that money is physically located in the SF Bay Area? How much of it is overseas to avoid taxation? There's undeniably a lot of money flowing through the Bay Area, but like always, it'll make its way elsewhere. I'm not sure why you're focused on LA seeing as this is a conversation about the tech industry, but as I said in my previous post, the overnight loss of a major industry in LA would send capital markets into free fall. This would likely result in a recession or depression that would have ripple effects world wide. I can't say to what magnitude they would be felt because variables.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Time will tell, but it's quite short-sighted to think the competition won't improve outside of the Bay. There are a lot of things to consider (student loan debt & mass unaffordability being two biggies) that will just make the Bay Area an unrealistic option for many. Cities throughout the U.S. are actively campaigning for tech talent and creating those exact environments to GROW their developing tech industries. If it happened in SF, it can happen elsewhere. Only takes one heavy hitter to put you on the map. Once you're there, it's a lot easier to amass more talent. I'm by no means detracting the Bay Area's importance, but to say things like "the Bay and it's not even close" is quite ridiculous, especially when history has proven time and time again that no one stays on top indefinitely and it's not like the Bay is blowing everyone out of the water in any other industry.
I do think that competition will eventually improve outside of the Bay Area, but as of now, Silicon Valley hasn't truly been duplicated and is the closest economic phenomenon the U.S. has to being irreplaceable.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:04 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
How much of that money is physically located in the SF Bay Area? How much of it is overseas to avoid taxation? There's undeniably a lot of money flowing through the Bay Area, but like always, it'll make its way elsewhere. I'm not sure why you're focused on LA seeing as this is a conversation about the tech industry, but as I said in my previous post, the overnight loss of a major industry in LA would send capital markets into free fall. This would likely result in a recession or depression that would have ripple effects world wide. I can't say to what magnitude they would be felt because variables.
But the overnight loss of the tech industry would have at least ten times the devastating effect. Also, as I stated earlier, it would be a lot easier for other cities to pick up the slack if LA were to suffer such a loss than it would be for other cities to develop a SV alternative.

And for the record, I love LA and would live there over the Bay Area (which I have yet to visit) easily. So this is no bias on my part.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What's maddening is how your only argument against the Bay Area is based on a hypothetical situation rather than actual reality. One that can be applied to any city at that.

Technology is a "vapid" industry? Especially compared to LA's signature industry.
What is hypothetical about other regions strengthening their tech industries?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Quote:
What is hypothetical about other regions strengthening their tech industries?
Nothing but that's not all you said. The fact is right now the Bay Area is the leader in tech by far and it's still expanding. Not leaving or fleeing elsewhere unlike LA's entertainment industry.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Nothing but that's not all you said. The fact is right now the Bay Area is the leader in tech by far and it's still expanding. Not leaving or fleeing elsewhere unlike LA's entertainment industry.
That is exactly what I have been saying, lol.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:55 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I have been saying, lol.
No this is everything you have been saying. I've highlighted key words and phrases that illustrate how your whole argument is based on a hypothetical situation and not present reality.
Quote:
Tech jobs could go literally anywhere. They already are. TX is flooded with CA corporate relocations and transplants. Same with OR and WA. Other regions are also seeing their tech sectors grow. The Bay Area is definitely a vital part of the U.S. economy, but the delusions of grandeur are unreal around these parts. Industries evolve and it's only a matter of time before someone eclipses Facebook or Google in technological prowess. That company could be growing right now anywhere in the country. It's incredibly unlikely that the Bay Area sees another Google or Facebook given the COL, although there is something to be gained from proximity to other large tech companies.
Quote:
Exactly my point. Industries and places evolve. SF is a vital component of the economy, but to believe that someone could not fill the void is incredibly arrogant. How many of these companies were actually founded and grown in San Francisco vs corporate relocation's during a time when the Bay was significantly more affordable? A number of high-profile companies have been pushed out of SF because of astronomically high rents. Google and Facebook are great companies to have in your backyard, but I wouldn't expect many more. Would also be foolish to bank on these two being the biggest names indefinitely.
Quote:
Who cares what "MIGHT" happen in the future? That really isn't what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or