Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most valuable city in the US? (excluding NYC and DC)
Los Angeles 44 55.00%
Chicago 8 10.00%
Dallas 0 0%
Houston 4 5.00%
Philadelphia 5 6.25%
Miami 0 0%
Atlanta 0 0%
Boston 3 3.75%
San Francisco 15 18.75%
Phoenix 1 1.25%
Detroit 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is true. But think about all the stuff you use on a daily basis. Are those companies based out of LA or SF more so?
China has 1.4 billion people--they need more 'human capital'?

Haha no kids, China wants this:
Top 100 Global Brands 2016

Bay Area: 12 of the Top 100 brands in the world
1 Google
2 Apple
5 Facebook
6 Visa
14 Wells Fargo
42 HP
49 Oracle
51 Intel
67 Cisco
85 LinkedIn
91 ebay
100 Adobe

Los Angeles: 1 of the Top 100 brands in the world
19 Disney

Brandz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
This is true. But think about all the stuff you use on a daily basis. Are those companies based out of LA or SF more so?
And think about how all of that tech stuff that we use on a daily basis, most of it manufactured and assembled in Asia (China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan), gets here. Apple, Alphabet and the like may be based in the Bay, but their supply chain is all over the map. And most of their physical products, including the completed versions (i.e. your iPhone), come from Asia (made in China). Wonder which port that goes through more?

Quote:
I'm sure in 1996 LA was more relevant than it is today too lol.
Cute, but it was more relevant than the Bay then, and its more relevant than the Bay now. LA has more people who have more immediate influence than the Bay. An iPhone is only relevant when it is marketed and made popular for consumption.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And think about how all of that tech stuff that we use on a daily basis, most of it manufactured and assembled in Asia (China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan), gets here. Apple, Alphabet and the like may be based in the Bay, but their supply chain is all over the map. And most of their physical products, including the completed versions (i.e. your iPhone), come from Asia (made in China). Wonder which port that goes through more?
You mean that artificial port that used to be a shallow mud flat that apparently can't be replicated anywhere else?

Pretty sure you don't need the artificial Port of LA/LB to use Facebook, Gmail, Google search/maps, your Visa card, etc..
Quote:
Cute, but it was more relevant than the Bay then, and its more relevant than the Bay now. LA has more people who have more immediate influence than the Bay. An iPhone is only relevant when it is marketed and made popular for consumption.
I guess it's a good thing the Bay Area develops products to help keep LA relevant lol.

Bay Area companies have pretty much changed and dictated how LA's signature industry (entertainment) operates and does business.

Last edited by sav858; 08-18-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
You mean that artificial port that used to be a shallow mud flat that apparently can't be replicated anywhere else?

Pretty sure you don't need the artificial Port of LA/LB to use Facebook, Gmail, Google search/maps, your Visa card, etc..
I guess it's a good thing the Bay Area develops products to help keep LA relevant lol.
And pretty sure you don't need The Bay to have a pool of talented people to create those products and tech innovations. Million dollar facilities and corporations can be located in other areas, too.

And I guess it's a good thing NYC controls those products prices, while DC regulates their use. Fact is, the global economy is interconnected, and LA makes those products more relevant on a mass scale, in addition to shipping them. A loss of any of our major cities would be a huge blow to society, but LA is more populous, more culturally influential and more culturally relevant than the Bay.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Culturally maybe not. But there are tech hubs all over the world. The Bay Area is great but Los Angeles has had a much bigger impact on the world, thanks to Hollywood. In fact you can probably even say that LA is one of the reasons why the eastern world hates western culture so much.
You think in the grand scheme of things that Hollywood has a more important, pertinent impact on the world than Sillicon Valley?????

Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
And pretty sure you don't need The Bay to have a pool of talented people to create those products and tech innovations. Million dollar facilities and corporations can be located in other areas, too.

And I guess it's a good thing NYC controls those products prices, while DC regulates their use. Fact is, the global economy is interconnected, and LA makes those products more relevant on a mass scale, in addition to shipping them. A loss of any of our major cities would be a huge blow to society, but LA is more populous, more culturally influential and more culturally relevant than the Bay.
No you don't just as you don't need NYC for there to be a financial capitol, or DC for there to be a country's capitol, or LA for there to be an entertainment capitol. But the fact is these cities are what they are in their present state.

LA is arguably more culturally influential but when it comes to actual products and economic value the produce it's not quite so easy to make a case of LA. Like I said, Bay Area companies are dictating how LA's exporters of culture operate and get their product out there.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Their problem is that we can actually quantify ways that the Bay Area beats LA with actual stats. Lots and lots of them.

Once again, what about LA would be more desirable to China than this:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...5-OS-Share.png

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/...q4-15-gartner/

We sell well over a billion smart phones running on local platforms( Android and iOS) every year. In fact, the Bay Area has 90% of the global marketshare.

This^ is the sort of thing China drools over, not the latest Duane Johnson movie.

Lol

Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. The combined ports of LA and Long Beach are the third busiest in the country in overall tonnage, and lead the country in terms of deep water shipping and capacity. The Port of Oakland is simply no match, since there are depth and navigation restrictions in SF Bay, so that's one vital industry that can't be easily replicated anywhere else.

Table 1-57: Tonnage of Top 50 U.S. Water Ports, Ranked by Total Tons(a) | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

Top 20 U.S. Ports: Competition heats up for discretionary cargo
The load that the ports of LA and LB currently handle could be split up amongst the other West Coast ports. It's not necessary that one port pick up all the slack.

Quote:
You're arguing that tech environment can't be replicated anywhere else, but it is based on people. If the Bay were to be eliminated, you don't think that human ingenuity and creativity, as it pertains to technology, which is a VERY mobile thing, won't be replicated elsewhere? Anywhere else with liberal universities and capital to take advantage of? Lol, it already is replicated in places like Boston and New York, just to a much smaller degree. And conversely, if LA were taken out, Hollywood could be replicated elsewhere, as it already is in places like Atlanta and New York, to a smaller degree.
SV is much more than just a large concentration of tech companies and tech workers though; it is literally an ecosystem where a unique combination of historic and present-day factors cause innovation and creativity to thrive and ideas to be funded and commercialized, the likes of which aren't really present anywhere else in the world.

Silicon valley cannot be replicated
Why You Can’t Replicate Silicon Valley | Manuel Stagars
Why It's Hard to Replicate Silicon Valley's Successes Abroad - Bloomberg
Why It's So Tough To Replicate Silicon Valley - Business Insider
The origins of Silicon Valley: Could they ever be replicated?

If a rogue nation were to capture the Bay Area, there's a very good chance that anything that eventually replaces it won't be in the U.S. And certainly you're right about Hollywood, but it's obvious that tech has a significantly larger impact on people's day-to-day lives than Hollywood.

Quote:
All industries driven by human knowledge and innovation can and will be replicated elsewhere. That's fact. It's just a matter of degree. So what I think really matters in this hypothetical scenario is a) the amount of human capital already available (population) and b) industries based on the physical environment that can't just "move" anywhere else, for geographical reasons (shipping and energy production). After NYC, which has the most massive amount of human capital in this country, as well as favorable geographic factors, LA is next. 18 million people > 8.5 million. It has better deepwater ports in a more favorable geographic location than the Bay. 18 million people gone will have way more of an impact than 8.5 million, even if they are less "productive" on a per capita basis. The difference is too great, especially in this First World country.
I disagree because you're only looking at this from a localized perspective. SV has a much larger GLOBAL impact and that's something that GDP and local population figures don't account for. Again, port traffic can diverted to other ports; it just requires some reconfiguration and recoordination. And the Gulf Coast is already on top in terms of energy production, which has an outsized economic impact. But if SV came under the control of a rogue nation, the effects could be immediately devastating all over the world.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
If I've said it once I've said it a million times...some posters of the Bay Area suffer from delusions of grandeur.
Just for the record, I don't fall into this category. I've never even been to the Bay and I actually love LA and plan to visit in a few months for my birthday. I even almost moved to LA last year. There is no bias on my part at all.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Think of it this way.
When you think of what is most valuable to you doesn't necessarily have to be valuable in terms of dollar value.

Most priceless items are tied to association, nostalgia, public love.

SF may pump out $$$ items but LA is more associated with us than SF. Lots more nostalgia tied to LA.

If we were to be attacked LA would be much farther up in line than SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.