U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:02 PM

6,642 posts, read 8,344,483 times

Advertisements

America's cultural exporter and heavyweight in the 21st Century? (Excluding New York and Los Angeles)

The specific culture I am talking about are things such as this;

- Innovation (trends and ideas that have shaped the world in the 21st century)

- Iconic structures or landmarks (easily identifiable and recognizable due to immense exposure both nationwide and worldwide)

- Culinary inventions (food, beverages (both normal and alcoholic))

- Performing arts such as theater shows, symphony operas, other musical contributions (having great systems in place that showcase the sophistication and cultural prowess of the city)

- Cultural institutions such as museums, public libraries, art galleries, cultural centers (institutions that showcase great cutural exhibits and mark the diversity and depth of culture the city has)

- Trends in fashion and styling (things incepted in the area but has gone either national or global)

- Corporations that have created the most iconic brand names and images

- Political ideology (political ideas that have become popular the world on over)

- Other things (I've run out of ideas, so if you have one that fits under the culture umbrella, feel free to include)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times
San Francisco

Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times
Innovation- San Francisco
Iconic Structures- Washington DC
Culinary inventions- Chicago maybe New Orleans
Performing arts- Chicago.
Cultural institutions- Washington DC
Trends in Fashion- This is a tough one seeing as most fashion trends start in LA or NYC. Maybe Seattle or SF for the hipster look, maybe Atlanta?
Corporations that have created most iconic brands- San Francisco easily
Public ideology- Well, people no matter where they are located can share the same ideas...you can have someone in Mississippi and Seattle who share similar political ideas and beliefs. I'd say that the 21st century has become the age of "progressive". Political Correctness has definitely also become huge in this day and age. I'd say either San Francisco or Seattle for this one.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Trends in Fashion- This is a tough one seeing as most fashion trends start in LA or NYC. Maybe Seattle or SF for the hipster look, maybe Atlanta?
I would say Miami, in my opinion.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
Silicon Valley gets innovation and brands

DC gets iconic structures

Chicago gets the rest

Old 08-17-2016, 05:30 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I would say Miami, in my opinion.
Miami definitely deserves recognition in this category, you're right.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 PM

A tough one is Boston versus San Francisco on innovations. I straight went to thinking about medical innovations and thinking of how it broad its impact is all over the globe, I'd imagine Boston would have the leg up there but I am not all too sure. I know that outside of medicine that the San Francisco Bay Area is a linchpin on innovation, it just does so much in an array collection of industries and sectors.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM

528 posts, read 454,094 times
SF, Boston, DC, and Miami

Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Miami definitely deserves recognition in this category, you're right.
Tell me about these fashion trends that originated in Miami?

Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Tell me about these fashion trends that originated in Miami?
I'm the worst gay and barely understand fashion, but Miami is not sorta considered the capital of Latin America for no reason. There's no doubt in my mind that Miami has the possibility of setting trends for South American and Caribbean populations living in the US. Miami fashion week exists. The elite of South America party, vacation, and shop in Miami. Miami has one of the most well-known upscale nightlife scenes in the country, if not the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or