U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,581,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Since we learned how to use a map and drive a car, we Southerners just go all over the place anymore. LOL Sorry, I just couldn't resist! I love this forum.
Never seemed like it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM

217 posts, read 564,196 times
My husband was born in Kentucky but moved to Ohio as a teen and later settled in north central Pennsylvania. When we visit Pennsylvania, I notice a slight drawl by the locals. The closer you get to Pittsburgh, the drawl is heavier. The drawl is very similiar to what you hear in the Appalachians. Makes sense..2/3 of Pennsylvania is in Appalachia. But I wouldn't call it a southern accent though. Also my husband had a difficult time adjusting to Cleveland but the transition to the Pennsylvania hills was alot easier. The rural central and western parts of Pennsylvania is called Pennsyltucky too.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 AM

2,118 posts, read 2,241,001 times
Default Porbabley...

Probably Manitoba.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,319,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yeah, that's what I probably heard when I was there. Kind of a country twang, I think. Not really southern. It's similar in parts of Kansas and Missouri.
That is the difference (IMO of course) between the 'southern' and 'southern and rural midwestern', both have a bit of a twang to my ears, but they definitely sound different. The linguistic maps of the US tend to seperate those two as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM

886 posts, read 1,796,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I just read someone's post on this site that South Jersey has many people flying Confederate flags...I don't understand it either, how so many southerners have found their way up north.

I moved from my native South to Columbus, OH. I get a look everytime I open my mouth - but most people are very friendly and love to talk. Jobs are bringing people up North. We had an offer that we couldn't refuse.

Never have owned a Confederate flag - and I did not bring one with me. Funny you mention that because I struck up a conversation with a guy at a sandwich shop - he was driving around with a Confederate flag sticker on his car. Come to find out he picked it up on vacation while down in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 AM

4,556 posts, read 9,019,913 times
I'm one of those transplants... grew up in the South and moved to the Northeast after college. While there is a greater number of people moving in the opposite direction, I still encounter many new arrivals in NJ and NYC who are from the South, Midwest, and Plains.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Since we learned how to use a map and drive a car, we Southerners just go all over the place anymore. LOL Sorry, I just couldn't resist! I love this forum.
Now thare honey y'as knows ya got that one thare right. We's even get on them great big jet airliners and just go all's over the place.

I hardly hear any Southern Accents anymore and I'm IN DALLAS, TEXAS! I did hear one the other day that was even thicker than mine.......... she was from Bama. I'm a guessin that there are tons of people all over the country that could say they have heard one in their native state/city since most of us do get out every now and then. Know there are plenty people in the places I've been that right away ask where I'm from.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM

7,646 posts, read 10,698,372 times
Here's a better question: how far WEST do you have to travel in the southern states, before the southern accent dissipates? Undoubtably, the answer is Texas, but where exactly?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM

2,357 posts, read 24,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here's a better question: how far WEST do you have to travel in the southern states, before the southern accent dissipates? Undoubtably, the answer is Texas, but where exactly?
Don't southern accents pop up all over the west, in random places?

I recently heard of a town in Oregon, for example, that was transplanted from the mountains of NC. And don't some towns out in California have southern accents?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
mine is probably central ohio.
Norfolk, VA...wait, technically, I guess you could say Halifax, Nova Scotia, since I've had shipmates from the South, and we stopped there once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.