U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM

215 posts, read 444,367 times

Advertisements

It creeps up into Northern Indiana. But central Indiana has takes the cake. I play softball tournament in Indianapolis and all the local teams hoop and holler in southern accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,714,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I agree, ebonics were definitely influenced by the south. But it's funny when you see a caucasian acting like they naturally speak ebonics.
I've actually met this one white guy, He dresses like the 'ghetto' people so his friends are primarily black. I can't tell if he has a southern Accent or if he speak ebonically.
Some of Caucasians really only do speak Ebonics. I find it sad, because I alter my accent depending on who I'm talking with (Friends, Family, stranger,Person I want to impress or respect deeply, etc) without even realizing it, and some of these people can only speak Ebonics, they really can't speak english or construct a sentence worth their life. I understand the way of speech is culture, but when you speak to someone of importance or respect you have to be able to say more 'oh...i do dat job gud, you shud hair me. You be hiring deese nurds'

Old 02-23-2008, 11:23 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Really? I have yet to hear it, and I know it sounds snobby...hahaha, maybe I'm so used to it...maybe I speak it, but my father tells me I have a Midwestern Plain english accent... hes from Michigan. I've noticed correlation between a Southern accent and a 'ghetto' accent. Maybe thats what your talking about, because sometime you really can't tell the difference...now the way the person dresses gives it away, race also probably contributes...
No, that person had a definite southern accent. She told me she learned English in Dallas. I also met a guy from New Mexico with a faintly Hispanic accent that was also southern.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,172 times
Quote:
APPALACHIANGIRL: "Someone in upstate New York once said I have a Southern accent. People in South Carolina(I go there in the summer) tell me I have a "yankee" accent."
The people in New York would be right, the people in South Carolina would be wrong.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,265,088 times
I was raised in Northwest Ohio, and some of the people have accents there. My area had a lot of people coming in from bigger cities, so that had a lot to do with it. In Toledo, Ohio, you could probably find people with different accents living on the same street. I live in Indianapolis right now, and they have southern accents pretty much everywhere you go. I always stand out because I speak with the Midland (the neutral General American) accent.

For the record, Ebonics has it's roots in the south, but it has no effect on the person's accent. It's just a different way of speaking with slang words thrown in. I speak slight Ebonics mixed with my neutral accent. I think people get the idea that it's always connected to using double negatives or being illiterate, but that is not the case. Ebonics has no effect on an accent though. That's why black New Yorkers speak in Ebonics but sound different from Ebonics speakers down south.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 AM

14 posts, read 65,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Northeastern Pennsylvania. I don't know why so many people here have that drawl, but it's noticeable amongst the customers where I work.
Haha, I can't count the number of mullets that have been here all their lives and talk like that

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,210,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I've actually met this one white guy, He dresses like the 'ghetto' people so his friends are primarily black. I can't tell if he has a southern Accent or if he speak ebonically.
Some of Caucasians really only do speak Ebonics. I find it sad, because I alter my accent depending on who I'm talking with (Friends, Family, stranger,Person I want to impress or respect deeply, etc) without even realizing it, and some of these people can only speak Ebonics, they really can't speak english or construct a sentence worth their life. I understand the way of speech is culture, but when you speak to someone of importance or respect you have to be able to say more 'oh...i do dat job gud, you shud hair me. You be hiring deese nurds'
Agreed,I think it sets mankind back a step. Meanwhile I've got wannabe English professors that criticize me over 'dangling participles' or run-on sentences

I don't see what 'ebonics' has to do with southern accents,ebonics is nationwide(mostly in urban or suburban areas).

It takes a pretty strong person not to slip into the speech patterns of the people that surround you. Nothing is funnier than watching a whitewashed white guy trying to act 'ghetto',it reminds me of a Saturday Nite Live parody.

Be yourself.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
My husband is from Omaha. He says he speaks "Omahonics"! LOL!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,717,721 times
Default Furthest north I've heard a southern accent?

Fort McMurray, Alberta at 57 degrees north latitude.
That's 8 degrees or at least 800 miles north of Montana.

One of my supervisor's was from Houston and relocated, plus I met a couple of guys from Kansas who happened to work in Houston also; all of them had very southern accents, but the guys from Kansas had noticeably twangier southern accents.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Fort McMurray, Alberta at 57 degrees north latitude.
That's 8 degrees or at least 800 miles north of Montana.

One of my supervisor's was from Houston and relocated, plus I met a couple of guys from Kansas who happened to work in Houston also; all of them had very southern accents, but the guys from Kansas had noticeably twangier southern accents.
Yes, many people from KS have southern accents. The western part of the state has more in common with the TX Panhandle and OK than it does with the Midwest without a doubt. I have more of a northern midland accent I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or