U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM

746 posts, read 649,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
mine is probably central ohio.

I would have to second Ohio. I was shocked the first time i was in Cleveland, it was like visiting a southern city, so many people had southern accents. However, that is to be expected as most of the people in those cities both white and black are people that moved there in the early 1900's from the south for jobs etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,572,329 times
I've never heard a southern accent in cleveland. In fact, i've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and never heard a southern accent in Ohio until i visited the area around Columbus. Cleveland does, however, have the great lakes accent, which i think sounds hilarious.......but it's only nocticed on certain words.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,291,130 times
yeah I think the 'Southern' pronunciations of certain words are creeping into the general American population in many ways. In the same vein as how many distinct accents are less & less pronounced with each passing generation & with external influences/ transplants, etc. Florida is a perfect example of Native Floridians (from Central/ South Florida) with slight Southern accents but they coexist with transplants, recent immigrants, etc. that it's just a melting pot of accents.
You'll hear Southern accents as far north as Alaska- from the cruise ship tourists! In terms of residents of Northern communities, I'd think it'll be Indiana or Maryland, I've never been to those places myself but I've heard people from those states & they have a Southern-like accent to my ears.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 PM

7,824 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Its possible to have a foreign accent mixed with southern, too cases.

The other day at work I met a woman who was a German immigrant but lived in North Carolina. She has a slight German accent mixed with Southern. Her son, however spoke completely Southern. It was quite interesting actually.

I have met two people from South Texas, one was a high school teacher and one was an academic advisor at college, and they both spoke in a mix of a twang and a Mexican accent.

A question for y'all....does a Southern accent sound a lot friendlier than a Boston or NY accent? I think it does!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Its possible to have a foreign accent mixed with southern, too cases.

The other day at work I met a woman who was a German immigrant but lived in North Carolina. She has a slight German accent mixed with Southern. Her son, however spoke completely Southern. It was quite interesting actually.

I have met two people from South Texas, one was a high school teacher and one was an academic advisor at college, and they both spoke in a mix of a twang and a Mexican accent.

A question for y'all....does a Southern accent sound a lot friendlier than a Boston or NY accent? I think it does!
What kind of a comment is that? Terrapin, why are you so insistent on being Southern and so anti-Northeastern? You need to stop painting negative pictures of the Northeast, and also get with the facts that modern Maryland is not Southern, but NORTHEASTERN. You can claim to be Southern if you want, I don't care, but don't go putting down other regions while you do it. That's just uncalled for.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,706,701 times
I have definitely heard many southern accents in Cincinnati. Also I have lived by Cleveland my whole life and in certain areas there is a lot of southern accents. Even though Cleveland is considered a northern city there is still people that have some southern accent. For some reason it seems like its in the poorer areas.

Im not sure what a Great Lakes accent is. I went to NYC and nobody said I even had a sign of a accent.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,869,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

That is subjective. Given that some of the dearest people in my life have sported accents that you consider unfriendly, they sound very friendly to me (e.g. my grannie had a Boston accent you could cut with a knife, I have extremely fond memories of her, and good associations with said way of speaking as a result of that)

Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
For me, I'd have to say South Dakota. At the Corn Palace, I remember distinctly being greeted by a girl who greated the old fashioned Southern style greeting..."Hi y'all!" However, just because you hear a Southern accent in a certain area doesn't mean you are in the South. That is what needs to be addressed here. Cincinnati has some Southern accents but they are not predominant. Also...I've never heard Southern accents in Iowa or the Northern half of Missouri, even though there may be a few here or there. I've heard Southern accents as far north as central Indiana, around Terre Haute. But is that any basis for saying I'm in the South? Not to me. Only when virtually everyone speaks with a Southern accent do I know i'm in the South.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,610,584 times
I was born and raised in Des Moines and people tell me that I have a slight Southern accent. My mom's side of the family is from Southern Iowa and they seem to have a bit of a drawl. If you go about 40 miles South of here, you'll here some Southern accents. Go about 40 miles North of here, you start to here a Minnesota-esque accent.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,717,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Only when virtually everyone speaks with a Southern accent do I know i'm in the South.
By that definition, Atlanta is definitely not Southern.

*I've met a lot of people from GA, most of them had not a trace of a southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or