U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,621,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
By that definition, Atlanta is definitely not Southern.

*I've met a lot of people from GA, most of them had not a trace of a southern accent.
probably beacuse they are not natives, they are probably from somewhere else, were I live people have a HEAVY southern accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,280,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
mine is probably central ohio.
for me Central Indiana

Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,723,898 times
Quote:
probably beacuse they are not natives, they are probably from somewhere else, were I live people have a HEAVY southern accent.
How "heavy" are you talking about?

I'm familiar with Jeff Foxworthy's accent, and for me his accent seems moderately southern, (at the most) compared to people I've met from other southern states.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
How "heavy" are you talking about?

I'm familiar with Jeff Foxworthy's accent, and for me his accent seems moderately southern, (at the most) compared to people I've met from other southern states.
im talking ALOT heavier than Jeff Foxworthy, im talkin people who sound like Larry the Cable Guy.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
im talking ALOT heavier than Jeff Foxworthy, im talkin people who sound like Larry the Cable Guy.
And they're from Georgia?

Funny, since I've heard accents get thicker everywhere else; north to east TN, east to SC/NC, the people I've met from Alabama (never been there)... even south to northern FL.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
And they're from Georgia?

Funny, since I've heard accents get thicker everywhere else; north to east TN, east to SC/NC, the people I've met from Alabama (never been there)... even south to northern FL.
yes they are from GA, i was even suprised and asked him "are you from GA?" and he said "yes".

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
yes they are from GA, i was even suprised and asked him "are you from GA?" and he said "yes".
I'm just teasing. Ten years ago I figured most residents of GA had very thick accents, but that was before I met anyone in GA, or from GA.

I've met a lot more people from Florida with no southern accent (or very weak ones) yet still I've met some Floridians rather recently with very thick accents, like Larry the Cable Guy with less twang. I'd previously thought "The South" was north of Florida all together.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I was born and raised in Des Moines and people tell me that I have a slight Southern accent. My mom's side of the family is from Southern Iowa and they seem to have a bit of a drawl. If you go about 40 miles South of here, you'll here some Southern accents. Go about 40 miles North of here, you start to here a Minnesota-esque accent.
I heard no Southern accents in any of Iowa, period. People will tell you you have a Southern accent, but what they will not say is what they mean by Southern...I know a girl from Cleveland who said that somebody in St. Louis asked her if she was from the south.....southern accents do not sound the same to everybody, that much I have picked up on by now. Some people associate a Southern accent with "Southern" compared to their region, or they associate with a few Southern pronunciations...there is a difference between that and a Southern accent.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

208 posts, read 540,745 times
Quote:
I'm just teasing. Ten years ago I figured most residents of GA had very thick accents, but that was before I met anyone in GA, or from GA.

I've met a lot more people from Florida with no southern accent (or very weak ones) yet still I've met some Floridians rather recently with very thick accents, like Larry the Cable Guy with less twang. I'd previously thought "The South" was north of Florida all together.
The natives I met from central Florida did not have southern accents or it the accent was slightly southern. About the only southern accents I heard in Florida were southerners that moved from other southern states (but some were from the lower midwest too) or were in northern Florida. Also I knew quite a few Florida natives whose parents were born somewhere else.

Also Larry the Cable Guy is an act. He does not talk that way normally (he's from Nebraska).

Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,292,436 times
Quote:

*I've met a lot of people from GA, most of them had not a trace of a southern accent.
Atlanta is full of transplants but I still sure heard the Southern accent(s) everywhere I went in every direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or