U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Upstate NY: More like Pennsylvania or New England?
Pennsylvania 34 65.38%
New England 18 34.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is my point, as you have 5 metro areas and 5 micro areas within that stretch, with all of the metro areas except for the Utica-Rome metro being top 100(maybe even top 80) metro areas in population. So, those 4 metro areas are bigger than most.

New England actually is quite rural north of MA and even within MA and CT, you have very rural areas outside of the metro areas. So, it really isn't that much different in that regard.

In terms of the Upstate NY metro feel aspect, the bigger metros aren't that much different outside of population size and history in regards to Albany. For an example all 4 have that relatively diverse, "liberal" suburban school district/area that seems to be where the Jewish community is concentrated and is near a university. Places/districts like Amherst Central, Brighton, Jamesville-DeWitt and South Colonie come to mind. There are just some little similarities that come to mind like that, if you are privy to them.

I guess the other thing may be that Rochester and Albany lean a little bit towards being more white collar and Buffalo and Syracuse lean a little bit towards being blue collar. Ironically, in terms of income metrics like median household income and average annual income, it goes Albany, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo.
I understand, but overall and in general, to me, upstate NY feels more like PA than New England. However, i would say it feels like 60% like PA and 40% New England. So it's about even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I understand, but overall and in general, to me, upstate NY feels more like PA than New England. However, i would say it feels like 60% like PA and 40% New England. So it's about even.
Don't get wrong. I can see a little bit of both, as well as a Canadian feel further north due to getting Canadian media, proximity and even the French Canadian ancestry of some of the people. I just think that people underestimate some aspects in regards to Upstate NY.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Binghamton area reminds me of PA, however the accents are different and in the city proper there are a lot of people from NYC there.
Good point in terms of the people in that area. I'd include Johnson City and Endicott in that area in terms of the people and add that there is a Philly presence as well.

With that said, I guess parts of NE PA get that as well.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:05 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Don't get wrong. I can see a little bit of both, as well as a Canadian feel further north due to getting Canadian media, proximity and even the French Canadian ancestry of some of the people. I just think that people underestimate some aspects in regards to Upstate NY.
I was also going to say that northern upstate NY feels Canadian. That's how it felt to me, after visiting there two weekends ago. I loved it up there though.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 AM

1,253 posts, read 825,898 times
Quote:
I would say that's a pretty fair assessment. Would you agree ck?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I would say that's a pretty fair assessment. Would you agree ck?
Yeah, give or take, as the Canadian aspect is in there to some degree. Perhaps 10-15%. For instance, Plattsburgh markets itself as Montreal's U.S. suburb and many people from Quebec fly out of Plattsburgh's airport. Plenty of Canadians go to Destiny USA in Syracuse to shop and spend time, as it is the 6th biggest shopping center in the US or fly out of Syracuse. So, that has to be considered as well.

I will say that Upstate NY may be different from both in terms of Native American culture being prevalent in multiple areas of Upstate NY and to a larger degree. You also have some small, rural towns in Upstate NY with visible Black populations. Mountains likely take up a larger portion of Upstate NY than mountains in PA and New England. There are probably a few other things as well.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:59 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
I was also going to say that northern upstate NY feels Canadian. That's how it felt to me, after visiting there two weekends ago. I loved it up there though.
Up around Plattsburgh does and it's not uncommon to see highway and other signs in both English and French.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM

7,719 posts, read 4,575,226 times
Quote:
Definitely NOT New England. Overall, it's more like PA. Upstate NY is vastly rural, more conservative and has lots of farms, similar to PA. The structure and relationships of municipalities and their respective metro/micropolitan areas are more similar to PA also. In New England, the concept of a metro area is quite different. Things in New England are very compact and concentrated and traveling just 30 miles away from one point to another can make a huge difference in scenery and culture.
I think we need to differentiate between northern New England and southern New England. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and even western Massachusetts are probably more similar to upstate New York then they are to Connecticut or Rhode Island.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 AM

128 posts, read 110,003 times
Quote:
Definitely NOT New England. Overall, it's more like PA. Upstate NY is vastly rural, more conservative and has lots of farms, similar to PA. The structure and relationships of municipalities and their respective metro/micropolitan areas are more similar to PA also. In New England, the concept of a metro area is quite different. Things in New England are very compact and concentrated and traveling just 30 miles away from one point to another can make a huge difference in scenery and culture.
Well stated - I agree, it's more like PA than New England. Crossing from New England into upstate NY you can definitely feel a difference.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Default Is Upstate NY more like Pennsylvania or New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Title.

Recently drove through Upstate NY and couldn't decide for myself.

Which one is it most similar to and why?
I can see an argument either way. It sort of depends on what area you are talking about.

The Adirondacks/Lake Champlain and the Hudson Valley I would say are more like New England. But Western New York and the Southern Tier are more like Pennsylvania. The Finger Lakes have a New England vibe but the open farmlands more common of Pennsylvania. Central New York often looks like Pennsylvania with its forested hills and valley farmlands but some of the villages look like New England. Finally the Catskills look a little like the surrounding mountains (the Taconics, Berkshires and the Poconos) but seem more like the Poconos then the Berkshires to me.

Regarding Downstate:
New York City looks more Philadelphia then Boston I would say but the suburbs; the lower Hudson Valley and Long Island look more like New England.

I would add that Pennsylvania does not have anything like Long Island and that New England does not have anything like Lake Erie or Lake Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or