U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Upstate NY: More like Pennsylvania or New England?
Pennsylvania 34 65.38%
New England 18 34.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:52 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,826,606 times

Advertisements

I live in PA and if Ohio and New England had a child, then it would be Western NY. It's funny because the last time I was at Chautauqua I saw a ton of Cleveland tshirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM

7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think we need to differentiate between northern New England and southern New England. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and even western Massachusetts are probably more similar to upstate New York then they are to Connecticut or Rhode Island.
This is still true

Old 08-20-2016, 10:58 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times
I consider Upstate New York to be number 5 on the map (instead of everything north of NYC...which is the entire state), which is nothing like PA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstat...ic_Regions.svg

Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
I voted for New England, but it all depends upon what you consider "Pennsylvania" to mean.

What I mean by that is there's a pretty big cultural divide within Pennsylvania. The Northern Tier of the state, which includes both the Wyoming Valley (Scranton/Wilkes Barre area) and Erie, are very different culturally from the remainder of Pennsylvania. Those areas were actually originally settled by New Englanders (at one point NEPA was called "New Connecticut." Wood framed housing is the norm, and in the Scranton Area people still have accents which are relatively close to New England (Erie has shifted to a more Pittsburgh accent over the last century).

It's unquestionable to me that Upstate NY for the most part, once you get past North Country and the upper Hudson Valley, is more similar to the upper portions of Pennsylvania than New England. On the other hand, the culture of Pennsylvania as a whole, which is mostly of Midland origin, is very different from the Yankee origin of Upstate New York.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:38 AM

1,249 posts, read 822,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I consider Upstate New York to be number 5 on the map (instead of everything north of NYC...which is the entire state), which is nothing like PA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstat...ic_Regions.svg
That would be the North Country. What about the rest of NYS? What do you consider that?

Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I voted for New England, but it all depends upon what you consider "Pennsylvania" to mean.

What I mean by that is there's a pretty big cultural divide within Pennsylvania. The Northern Tier of the state, which includes both the Wyoming Valley (Scranton/Wilkes Barre area) and Erie, are very different culturally from the remainder of Pennsylvania. Those areas were actually originally settled by New Englanders (at one point NEPA was called "New Connecticut." Wood framed housing is the norm, and in the Scranton Area people still have accents which are relatively close to New England (Erie has shifted to a more Pittsburgh accent over the last century).

It's unquestionable to me that Upstate NY for the most part, once you get past North Country and the upper Hudson Valley, is more similar to the upper portions of Pennsylvania than New England. On the other hand, the culture of Pennsylvania as a whole, which is mostly of Midland origin, is very different from the Yankee origin of Upstate New York.
Personally I find being called a Yankee insulting. I was not raised rich and urban. I am not materialistic nor an atheist or staunch Catholic. I don't go around thinking I am better than everybody else. I am not a mega liberal. I am not a Yankee in so far as most Americans mean the term. In that regard I refuse to be associated with New England.

For me I will always default to Pennsylvania when somebody asks me which neighbor upstate NY is more like. Because where I'm from and for the sort of people I represent that is true.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
That would be the North Country. What about the rest of NYS? What do you consider that?
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Upstate is in reference to the areas of the state north of NYC(metro).

Old 08-20-2016, 01:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 822,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserwithaName View Post
Bingo and I said this before.

People act like New England is one giant homogeneous region, which for the most part is but if PA and NY are different within themselves, how can't New England be when it's similar in size or larger?

People need to stop thinking that Vermont is identical to Rhode Island for example.
So what do you think would have been a better way to word the poll? "Is Upstate NY more like Pennsylvania or Southern New England (RI, CT, MA)" or "Is Upstate NY more like Pennsylvania or Northern New England (VT, NH, ME)" How do you think the results would differ than the current results, which are 18 votes PA and 11 votes New England?

Last edited by gt87; 08-20-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 PM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserwithaName View Post
When you're driving on the Thruway (I-90) from Utica to Albany, then continue eastward to Springfield, it feels and looks the exact same.

It isn't until you get towards points westward like Syracuse, after Utica that the vibe changes and it gets much flatter.

Where I live, I am in the Mohawk Valley sandwiched between the Adirondacks to the north and Catskills to the south.

Most of the architecture and history here dates to the Revolution. There were battles fought here. Important revolutionary figures buried around here.

I don't think Utica and Scranton are terribly different though. At all. They get way less snow than we do, but we're both very Irish cities.

Not to take away from the Irish %, but Utica is notably 30% Italian as well which is the highest outside areas like NY/NJ/RI. It's mostly Italian concerning non-hispanic whites.
Pittston in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area is about 36-37% Italian and Scranton is about 20% Italian itself. So, there is a pretty high Italian population in parts of that area as well.

I know that Frankfort just east of Utica is about 40% or so Italian.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:00 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Personally I find being called a Yankee insulting. I was not raised rich and urban. I am not materialistic nor an atheist or staunch Catholic. I don't go around thinking I am better than everybody else. I am not a mega liberal. I am not a Yankee in so far as most Americans mean the term. In that regard I refuse to be associated with New England.

For me I will always default to Pennsylvania when somebody asks me which neighbor upstate NY is more like. Because where I'm from and for the sort of people I represent that is true.
Culturally speaking, Yankeedom are those portions of the U.S. which were originally settled by those of New England Puritan stock during the 19th century. Yankees moved west through Upstate NY, and once the Erie Canal was built settled essentially the entire Great Lakes littoral. They stood in contrast with the lower Midwest, which was settled by Pennsylvanians and people from the Upper South. It's why, for example, in Ohio Cleveland looks a lot like a New England city in places, but parts of Cincinnati wouldn't look out of place in Philly. Also why the accents differ so much between the upper and lower Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or