U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times

Advertisements

You didn't state if you are bilingual in Spanish. You will need that to get job offers to work as a legal assistant in the south, southwest, and most big cities. The other issue is that you are over 40. The best bet would to be find a city that trends older and white if you don't speak Spanish. Cleveland might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:09 AM

29,870 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Nashville and Dallas-Fort Worth certainly come to mind.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,758,482 times
If 30 minutes are being considered "travel" to night life destinations that will limit locations considerably. I do not see DFW on a single clerical income with some of OP's needs.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 7,807 times
yes, definitely consider Nashville for sure

Old 08-20-2016, 11:45 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,630,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Thank you. LOL
One other thing, I am taller than average. I find that wherever I go I'm the tallest person with heels. I'm almost 5'9" I'd like a city if possible that has other TALL people. I'm always going to functions, etc. and being the ONE TALL lady. It is what it is.

I was supposed to leave South Florida last October, but mom needed me. She has six other children, but she claims they are too busy with their lives to help her and she has one living with her, but he can't drive her to certain places. Now I just can't wait any longer. I have to find WORK! I need a life! I feel so GUILTY inside so this move will be difficult for me. Friends and family expect me to stay here indefinitely. Weeks turn into months and months then turn into years...
The tallest people are going to be in states like Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan Wisconsin etc.

Out of the sun belt cities, Phoenix by in large will stand out from numbers of people who have moved there over generations from the upper midwest.

I was in Florida last year and it certainly didn't seem to have a large number of tall residents. I was in Central Florida and now that I think it I saw very few tall people it seemed.

I would never could call Phoenix a tall city, but it does a higher percentage of taller residents then other western cities. I think it is because of the huge influx of midwestern transplants over decades and decades.

I heavily doubt there is a sun belt with as many tall residents per-capita as Phoenix.

For some reason I always felt tall in Las Vegas and I am just slightly taller then average. Even with so many tourists it seemed as though that tall people were extremely rare in that city.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 PM

211 posts, read 161,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yeah Vegas is an armpit. Not the worst armpit out here (I mean there are a lot of armpits out here) but like others say Vegas has a huge amount of problems on its own. I'd argue if you want the Southwest lifestyle Vegas is one of the last places one should be looking.

Phoenix has a lot of young people despite Arizona's reputation of having a lot of retirees (something Florida shares with us along with gun laws) but the young and single people are pretty centralized to the Tempe/Old Town Scottsdale area.

I'm a single woman but I'm younger than you, as far as the dating scene goes I have found single 40s men here (I wouldn't date them though because they are much older than me, I'm just mentioning because they do exist, usually divorced and have kids though). Men seem to be on the short side. I am 5'8" so I am close to your height and with heels a lot of guys are shorter than me and quite a bit are my height in heels (so about 6 foot even). The tall ones (6 foot plus) are kind of rare if that's what you are into, I would know since I have that problem. Guys out here seem to have an inferiority complex with tall women though you can find exceptions to that. Most women are short out here, I'd argue around 5'2 or so.

I'm not a Christian, you'll find here that religion as a whole is a very personal thing and isn't so... Publicized (I think that's the word I'm looking for)? Religion is sort of a "no-no" topic and you'll find most people don't engage in religious behaviors (like thanking God before eating, going to church every week, etc.) even if they say they are Christian. Again I'm very irreligious, but I'd take a gander that churches here are very family-oriented as well.

I think Phoenix may be a good fit for you. I agree with the others that you should look towards the Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix proper areas and not the far out suburbs. If none of those intrigue you or you need a suburb on the West side I suggest Glendale (but after those areas). I suggest posting in the Phoenix subforum to hear more specific information. I can't comment on your job field out here or anything like that while I'm sure someone out there can. In fact a regular poster in the Arizona forums is an attorney, so again you'll attract more Arizona posters if you post there.
Wow! Thank you. It was really great to hear your perspective and how it feels to be TALLER than everyone else. I think when I lived in NYC the majority of men I met at social events were 5'5" and under. Nothing wrong with that since the majority of women were about that height as well. I just had an interview this week and the person looked at me like I was a TALL TREE and she was about 5' tall. I kid you not. Needless to say, I didn't get any warm vibes and I didn't get the job. Can I just say AWKWARD?! Especially since I had on heels. You kind of know when they like you because my interview before that was amazing and the reception was warm and welcoming and I got the job, but unfortunately the lady who hired me lost her job and I lost mine shortly thereafter. They were a fire happy firm with lots and lots of firing throughout the year. Not a good place to work. And the CFO lost her job before us two so it was a very toxic environment and it was for the best that it didn't work out. One door closes another door opens.

Thanks again for all the insight into Phoenix.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslem View Post
I'd stay around the south, like east Texas, or certainly check out booming Nashville
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked up Nashville on "Sperlings" More than one person said its not a city for singles, so I'm not sure about Nashville. Here is the link if you're interested in checking it out:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You didn't state if you are bilingual in Spanish. You will need that to get job offers to work as a legal assistant in the south, southwest, and most big cities. The other issue is that you are over 40. The best bet would to be find a city that trends older and white if you don't speak Spanish. Cleveland might work.

I'm not bilingual. Looking back, I wish I had learned Spanish instead of German back in high school. I'm Irish/German/Swedish. Speaking of BILINGUAL, many jobs NOW want that as a requirement in South Florida. There was a great job opening in Palm Beach not too long ago and I had the experience for the job, but they wouldn't even consider me because I wasn't BILINGUAL. Back in the day, it was important to know English, now the landscape of our country is changing so rapidly that you need to know Spanish as well.

I don't think I could handle Cleveland winters and I have never met a NICE person from OHIO. The few people I've met from there were arrogant, obnoxious and rude. I know I shouldn't stereotype a state but I'm just speaking from experience. Maybe it was the few that I met but each one constantly gave me obnoxious zingers and I wasn't feeling the heartless vibe. I like warm kind people who don't have time for that. Kindness in my book is gold. Ohio reminded me of Connecticut where people adore being obnoxious. I don't see the point in knocking people down. I'd rather be alone than hang in those circles where you rip into each other for fun! Maybe there are lots of good people in Ohio, I just haven't met them. In retrospect, I guess you could say those kind of people are everywhere.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The tallest people are going to be in states like Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan Wisconsin etc.

Out of the sun belt cities, Phoenix by in large will stand out from numbers of people who have moved there over generations from the upper midwest.

I was in Florida last year and it certainly didn't seem to have a large number of tall residents. I was in Central Florida and now that I think it I saw very few tall people it seemed.

I would never could call Phoenix a tall city, but it does a higher percentage of taller residents then other western cities. I think it is because of the huge influx of midwestern transplants over decades and decades.

I heavily doubt there is a sun belt with as many tall residents per-capita as Phoenix.

For some reason I always felt tall in Las Vegas and I am just slightly taller then average. Even with so many tourists it seemed as though that tall people were extremely rare in that city.
Looks like TALL people are in some of the coldest states possible. Phoenix and Dallas seem to be in the running for me so far. Thank you for your insight.

I just went to the beach this morning to DESTRESS and I noted that I was the one TALL person on the beach. Regardless of height, the BEACH was so REFRESHING and calming. It really is nice to be 18 minutes away from the beach as a plus to where I'm at right now. You know there were way more tall people out in California. That was for sure.

I think I'm glad I changed my mind on Vegas. I think it would have been a repeat of NYC but just on a smaller scale.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Faith is very important to me. I want to be in a location where I can meet other like-minded Christians who are serious about their faith...I don't like tats and piercings and I'm very conservative and on the modest side and would love to meet like minded people.
You're really cutting down your dating pool:

36% = people your age with tattoos
Health & Life - Tattoo Takeover: Three in Ten Americans Have Tattoos, and Most Don

37% = people in your age group with NO religion
Age distribution - Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

14% = people with piercing other than earlobe
Body Piercing Statistics – Statistic Brain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or