U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2016, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Reputation: 2858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
I'm not bilingual. Looking back, I wish I had learned Spanish instead of German back in high school. I'm Irish/German/Swedish. Speaking of BILINGUAL, many jobs NOW want that as a requirement in South Florida. There was a great job opening in Palm Beach not too long ago and I had the experience for the job, but they wouldn't even consider me because I wasn't BILINGUAL. Back in the day, it was important to know English, now the landscape of our country is changing so rapidly that you need to know Spanish as well.

I don't think I could handle Cleveland winters and I have never met a NICE person from OHIO. The few people I've met from there were arrogant, obnoxious and rude. I know I shouldn't stereotype a state but I'm just speaking from experience. Maybe it was the few that I met but each one constantly gave me obnoxious zingers and I wasn't feeling the heartless vibe. I like warm kind people who don't have time for that. Kindness in my book is gold. Ohio reminded me of Connecticut where people adore being obnoxious. I don't see the point in knocking people down. I'd rather be alone than hang in those circles where you rip into each other for fun! Maybe there are lots of good people in Ohio, I just haven't met them. In retrospect, I guess you could say those kind of people are everywhere.
Funny, I have had the complete opposite experience with people from Ohio. I have found them to be the friendliest in the US, even more than in the South. My experience in Ohio makes me wonder how friendly the rest of the Midwest is. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2016, 06:03 PM
 
Location: In the hot spot!
3,399 posts, read 4,806,277 times
Reputation: 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
True, and then there are tornado threads in OKC. However, Phoenix is really not cheap anymore. It's just starting to get a bit pricey nowadays.
This^^^ Phoenix may have some of what you're looking for and Arizona is certainly a beautiful state if you are into the outdoors. Phoenix is growing because it has/had a reasonable COL. However, the COL is quickly rising out here and...wait for it...the pay scale is not much better than So. Florida. Having said that, I understand that sometimes we need to make a change. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 PM
 
32 posts, read 43,730 times
Reputation: 73
Default Deciding where to relocate

I can identify with your situation in some ways I am a lot older than you but I have been desperately wanting to leave South Florida for years but for one reason or another I am still here. Now I am trying to get my 36 year old single son to move. He also is a church goer and is having a very hard time meeting a decent type lady. Between the intense humidity, rude people, congestion he is considering moving out of South Florida. I have visited Raleigh years ago and really liked it but it has grown and gotten more expensive. So now I am considering Winston Salem. I believe the people may be more friendly than South Florida.
The cost of living should be lower and the climate more moderate. Also church is an important part of life there. I plan on visiting the end of September. Try looking on the Internet job sites to get a feel for the job market for wherever you are considering and also the rents. At least you will have an idea if it could work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,029 posts, read 4,119,343 times
Reputation: 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would just go with Phoenix then. If not that, then maybe Oklahoma City. In OKC, people take religion seriously and the cost of living is low and the climate is warm overall.
I second this. If you are a right-wing evangelical, you will feel right at home in OKC. The culture and government is extremely "churchy." The weather though is pretty awful. It gets very cold in the winter and spring is very violent being that it's ground zero for tornado alley. All in all I think it's probably close to the worst place to live in the United States, but then again I am liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 AM
 
791 posts, read 1,053,429 times
Reputation: 957
A good friend of mine is in your age group/has the same martial status.

She recently started over in Las Vegas for the same reasons that you stated.

She found a good church where it's not particularly weird to be single and she landed a decent job after the one she moved there for didn't work out.

She even has a boyfriend now.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 09:42 PM
 
218 posts, read 162,841 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Funny, I have had the complete opposite experience with people from Ohio. I have found them to be the friendliest in the US, even more than in the South. My experience in Ohio makes me wonder how friendly the rest of the Midwest is. Oh well.
I'm sure OHIO is a friendly state. I think it was mainly just the few I met from there who had left that state. People for the most part are the same wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 PM
 
218 posts, read 162,841 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This^^^ Phoenix may have some of what you're looking for and Arizona is certainly a beautiful state if you are into the outdoors. Phoenix is growing because it has/had a reasonable COL. However, the COL is quickly rising out here and...wait for it...the pay scale is not much better than So. Florida. Having said that, I understand that sometimes we need to make a change. Good luck!
I was AFRAID of that! Not much better than South Florida. The rents are getting pretty high in Florida too and the pay is not keeping up with it. It's really bad all over it seems. Thank you for the luck! I'll need it! Where I used to live in Irvine, CA, the rents for a 1 bedroom went from $1,250 in 2009 to $1,500 in 2016! Wow!

I have to sell and pack up everything by September 1st and stay with my mom for a few days, so I can see my brother who is flying in from out of town. He's currently living in New Mexico. One option is to stay with him, but I've heard NM is ONLY great if you have a family or you're a college student. So I have EXACTLY 5 days to sell, pack and store everything and make up my mind!! It's a major DECISION!!! I'm kind of nervous. I'm giving up my nice safe home. I would have to give up my furniture too which makes me sad and start over but I have to get a REAL job! That's my MAIN priority. Making a living by selling stuff on EBay is not going to fly!! Oh, that was my plan B. Bad idea! I think EBay died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 PM
 
218 posts, read 162,841 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4answer View Post
I can identify with your situation in some ways I am a lot older than you but I have been desperately wanting to leave South Florida for years but for one reason or another I am still here. Now I am trying to get my 36 year old single son to move. He also is a church goer and is having a very hard time meeting a decent type lady. Between the intense humidity, rude people, congestion he is considering moving out of South Florida. I have visited Raleigh years ago and really liked it but it has grown and gotten more expensive. So now I am considering Winston Salem. I believe the people may be more friendly than South Florida.
The cost of living should be lower and the climate more moderate. Also church is an important part of life there. I plan on visiting the end of September. Try looking on the Internet job sites to get a feel for the job market for wherever you are considering and also the rents. At least you will have an idea if it could work for you.

Thank you for understanding. I wanted so much to leave South Florida a year ago but I couldn't. Mom needed my help. Now she is leaving to go up North! So that leaves me with a major decision to make in five days! Yikes! As for decent men, I find many of the men in Florida are all about shacking up and a have a Peter Pan mentality. I'm afraid its like that all over the US now. I hope your son meets a nice lady. There are a ton of SINGLE women in Atlanta, DC and NYC if your son is open to any of those areas. I know DC has a huge number of single ladies his age who are having trouble finding a guy because the ladies outnumber the guys big time in the DC area.

My heart desires the WEST, but I will miss my mom. :/ BUT, I don't like Connecticut. Connecticut is grey and gloomy with really cold winters and there aren't really any jobs near New Milford that pay well. I can't imagine life there year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 PM
 
218 posts, read 162,841 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
A good friend of mine is in your age group/has the same martial status.

She recently started over in Las Vegas for the same reasons that you stated.

She found a good church where it's not particularly weird to be single and she landed a decent job after the one she moved there for didn't work out.

She even has a boyfriend now.

Good luck.
Thank you. Las Vegas was my FIRST choice for the longest time and I visited last year. Loved how friendly the LOCALS were. And I loved the fact that there was lots to do as I'm outgoing and I love the fact there are plenty of churches too. I loved the design of the homes and the weather too. So much to love if you're outgoing!

What makes me not want to go to VEGAS now is the HIGH CRIME and the FRUSTRATING JOB MARKET. I don't want to move to a city where I would have great difficulty finding work. That's basically what I find here in South Florida. And it's not just me, news reports say that the wages in South Florida and ALL of Florida for that matter are the LOWEST in the nation. That's bad! Beautiful place but tough to find a job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top