U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 03:39 PM

192 posts, read 260,285 times

Advertisements

I know Los Angeles has a ton of these and I heard Boston also has a few. We all know NYC has borough names and even some neighborhoods within the boroughs like Harlem that use their names as the postal address. What are some other cities that are similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 03:46 PM

7,715 posts, read 4,575,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
I know Los Angeles has a ton of these and I heard Boston also has a few. We all know NYC has borough names and even some neighborhoods within the boroughs like Harlem that use their names as the postal address. What are some other cities that are similar?
Manhattan uses New York. Harlem, which is in Manhattan does not use Harlem, NY.
Brooklyn uses Brooklyn
Bronx uses Bronx
Staten Island uses Staten Island
Queens uses individual neighborhoods. This is because they used to be independent villages.

I think Boston neighborhoods that were annexed after a certain date still use neighborhood names. I've lived in the Boston neighborhood with a Boston mailing address, and another with a neighborhood mailing address. The one with the neighborhood address was further from downtown.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM

192 posts, read 260,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Brooklyn uses Brooklyn
Bronx uses Bronx
Queens uses individual neighborhoods. This is because they used to be independent villages.

I think Boston neighborhoods that were annexed after a certain date still use neighborhood names. I've lived in the Boston neighborhood with a Boston mailing address, and another with a neighborhood mailing address. The one with the neighborhood address was further from downtown.

Same thing with Los Angeles when they annexed almost all of the San Fernando Valley and Venice, Hollywood (even though Los Angeles is used by a lot for this one), San Pedro, etc.. in the early 1900's they kept the village/town/city name as the postal address.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,228,082 times
I don't believe there's any part of Chicago that does this. I'm also used to seeing the opposite in my native St. Louis. Parts of St. Louis County use the city as their mailing address, even though St. Louis is independent of the county the locations are sitting outside of the city's limits in the suburbs.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:08 PM

3,510 posts, read 4,964,318 times
Baltimore MD, and Alexandria VA, both have large suburban areas that use the city name although they're outside the city limits.

I've noticed that some neighborhoods of Boston MA within the city limits, such as Brighton, Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury, Dorchester, Hyde Park, seem to use their own name rather than Boston's.

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-19-2016 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM

3,745 posts, read 3,855,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Brooklyn uses Brooklyn
Bronx uses Bronx
Most of the Bronx uses the Bronx, but for example, most people in Riverdale use Riverdale, which is in the Bronx. Queens is technically split into Long Island City, Flushing, Floral Park, Jamaica, and Far Rockaway, but most people just put their neighborhood names. I am pretty sure "Queens, NY" doesn't even exist. I think you can actually use whatever you want, if you put down "New York City" or "New York, NY" anywhere in the 5 boroughs, the mail will still get to you.

Last edited by Gantz; 08-19-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,881,632 times
There is one ZIP code in the city of Phoenix 85339 (only Phoenix ZIP not starting in 850--) that is signed Laveen. Laveen used to be an unincorporated town in Maricopa County, but around 10-15 years ago, it was completely annexed by the city of Phoenix, but the ZIP code is still signed Laveen, AZ

Also, Gilbert, AZ has ZIP 85296 which swallowed an old ZIP 85236, 85236 was signed Higley, AZ even after unincorporated Higley was completely annexed by Gilbert. In 2007, Gilberts ZIP codes were redone, and 85236's area was added to 85296, and 85236 as well as the Higley, AZ mailing address ceased to exist

Old 08-20-2016, 07:50 AM

4,925 posts, read 1,840,291 times
It is a not an unusual practice in New England. There are many unincorporated villages (part of larger incorporated towns and cities) throughout New England that have their own post offices and zip code. The village name is used for the address rather than the town. Given the area has a long history and sticks to its traditions, it is loathe to change.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:06 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
I know Boston did when I lived there.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
Dorchester, MA-I have family there and they would mail things back to "Mt Airy, PA" in Philly although that is not common for that neighborhood like Dorchester is in Boston. More common in Philly is Manayunk, PA Chestnut Hill, PA and sometimes Germantown, PA.

I used to live in Riverdale in the Bronx which is always "Riverdale, NY" as mentioned before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or