U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:48 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

What are some of these states asterisked? What does the asterisk mean?

Colorado voters will vote this fall whether to raise minimum wage to $12/hr by 2020 in 90c/year increments. It's currently $8.31 and cities cannot enact their own higher minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 03:56 PM

12,843 posts, read 4,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What are some of these states asterisked? What does the asterisk mean?

Colorado voters will vote this fall whether to raise minimum wage to $12/hr by 2020 in 90c/year increments. It's currently $8.31 and cities cannot enact their own higher minimum.
Its still a joke to not index minimum wage to housing costs though. Rent is skyrocketing and people are forced to live on the streets even with a job. America 2016, a paradise for the big money donor class.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,634,283 times
California is raising it to $15 by 2021, at $15 an hour much of California like Bakersfield, Fresno and Redding would be one of the best places to earn minimum wage as those places have a cost of living similar to the Midwest or South.

The issue with $15 in California is on the coasts that is no where close to afford an apartment after taxes are deducted. But in Bakersfield, Fresno, Redding someone could live a decent life with money left over easily.

The rent on an apartment in many cities in California that are not on the coast is very similar to the Midwest or South.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/docs/Fact_She...nimum_Wage.pdf

The problem with proposed $12 minimum wage in Colorado and $15 in California is that much of both has a very bad economy with a very low cost of living.

$12 an hour in Denver still is a homeless wage, but $12 in Fort Morgan or Pueblo is enough to rent a little house with a yard.]

Calfornia has already increased the wage, Colorado it is going to be voted on but I don't see it passing.

Colorado is a very libertarian state. I really can't think of a worst state for minimum wage but it did expand Medicaid so at least so I guess that is one thing that makes it easier for part-time minimum wage workers.

Same with California. $15 is one thing in San Francisco and San Diego but much of California is very affordable. Cities like Fresno, Bakersfield and Redding are similar to the cost of living in the midwest or south before California taxes are factored in.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 08-21-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
^^Colorado's minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is trying to get the minimum wage raised to $15/hr. You damn have to have a college degree to make that in most places.
That is a sad reflection on where our country is. A college degree is as common as a high school diploma in Pittsburgh and are salaries are so low. There is absolutely no reason to go to college and obtain a large amount of debt only to get a job in the $20s, if a person can get a job in their major.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 AM

12,843 posts, read 4,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
California is raising it to $15 by 2021, at $15 an hour much of California like
So isnt the obvious solution to have a higher minimum wage than $15 in places like the Bay Area in order for people to live a decent life? Why do you argue for a race to the bottom? $15 in 2022 in poor areas of the state and $20 in places like the Bay Area seems perfectly reasonable.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So isnt the obvious solution to have a higher minimum wage than $15 in places like the Bay Area in order for people to live a decent life? Why do you argue for a race to the bottom? $15 in 2022 in poor areas of the state and $20 in places like the Bay Area seems perfectly reasonable.
I've always said that minimum wage should be enough that if you worked 120 hrs/month (since nobody making minimum wage works full time), that you would make 3 times the rent of a studio/efficiency apartment.

So lets do the math for the city/county of San Francisco=

Median studio rent is $2,700/month

3 times $2,700 is $8,100

$8,100/120 hrs=$67.50/hr!!!

Compare that to Phoenix, AZ=

Median studio rent is $700/month

3 times $700 is $2,100

$2,100/120 hrs=$17.50/hr!

So even $15/hr is too low

Old 08-22-2016, 01:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
People surviving on minimum wage in Florida are always either living with family or living multiple people crammed into a tiny space. Rents are going up like crazy and I truly believe Florida is on the brink of a homeless catastrophe because the only building going on is luxury that the working classes could never afford.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,804,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
People surviving on minimum wage in Florida are always either living with family or living multiple people crammed into a tiny space. Rents are going up like crazy and I truly believe Florida is on the brink of a homeless catastrophe because the only building going on is luxury that the working classes could never afford.
I keep hearing this about Florida, south Florida in particular. I am quite fond of Miami/Fort Lauderdale and was starting to ponder that area, but I hear so many comments like this that it has me rethinking.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,634,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Same thing with Denver.

I would venture to guess in higher cost of living areas, the people work lower wage jobs tend to be locals who live with relatives.

Denver has lots and lots of people from out of state, but with employers that are mainly entry-level jobs a vast majority of people are locals with large family roots in the city.

Most of the people making low wages are people who are from the area and live with relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or