U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region Is The Lushest?
Mediterranean 2 4.35%
Oceanic 15 32.61%
Humid Subtropical 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times

Advertisements

I'm going to take a moment here to make sure to mention on what classifies as an oceanic climate here in the United States. I should be noting that Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington, (and all the cities in between on the I-5) are actually a MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE. A slightly different one than the one in California, yes, but it still is one. Oceanic climates generally are the Oregon and Washington coast, especially the Olympic peninsula, and SE Alaska and potentially Vancouver BC. The reason for this is because summers in Seattle and Portland both are actually way too dry for the oceanic classification. Ketchikan, AK for an example (a true oceanic climate) rains every day for the most part. Over 150" of rain every year in Ketchikan which is way more than anything in the South. Seattle and Portland, believe it or not, just don't rain enough for an oceanic climate classification. So if you think Seattle and Portland rains too much... then I don't know what to tell you. A lot of places rain more. So imagine a Seattle/Portland winter or so, but all year round, and that's an oceanic climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 AM

17,169 posts, read 13,717,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I'm going to take a moment here to make sure to mention on what classifies as an oceanic climate here in the United States. I should be noting that Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington, (and all the cities in between on the I-5) are actually a MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE. A slightly different one than the one in California, yes, but it still is one. Oceanic climates generally are the Oregon and Washington coast, especially the Olympic peninsula, and SE Alaska and potentially Vancouver BC. The reason for this is because summers in Seattle and Portland both are actually way too dry for the oceanic classification. Ketchikan, AK for an example (a true oceanic climate) rains every day for the most part. Over 150" of rain every year in Ketchikan which is way more than anything in the South. Seattle and Portland, believe it or not, just don't rain enough for an oceanic climate classification. So if you think Seattle and Portland rains too much... then I don't know what to tell you. A lot of places rain more. So imagine a Seattle/Portland winter or so, but all year round, and that's an oceanic climate.
I agree that Seattle and Portland are Mediterranean climates. It's not correct to say that Oceanic climates rain more though -many Oceanic climates rain a lot less than Seattle or Portland, it's just that the rainfall isn't as seasonal in Oceanic climates.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,631,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
First off the fires mainly happen east of the cascades, and yes our grass turns brown but grass will always have a dormant state wether that be in summer or winter, and most of the plants at least those that are native stay green through out the summer. But the south probably does look more lush in the summer.
There's fires in the mountain range too..

Fire closes North Cascades Highway, national park and trail access | The Seattle Times

Was talking mostly about FL, lawns don't go dormant there and it's lush/green throughout the year. Same with the coastal areas in AL, LA, MS, TX(Houston down to Corpus Christie) but not too far inland(obviously the South extends further north and wherever it snows or temps get close to freezing, lawns and other vegetation will turn brown).

It's all about latitude..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I agree that Seattle and Portland are Mediterranean climates. It's not correct to say that Oceanic climates rain more though -many Oceanic climates rain a lot less than Seattle or Portland, it's just that the rainfall isn't as seasonal in Oceanic climates.
Well that's what I mean. It rains, and rains consistently. I was on a cruise one time and we stopped in Ketchikan, for a day, and the captain joked how it was the "one sunny day in Ketchikan!" Considering he probably sails that route a lot, I believed him. Could you imagine living in a place that rained all the time like that?

Plenty of rainforests exist in oceanic climates even here in the states, in Washington. I don't think SE Alaska has them, too mountainous, but I believe the Olympic peninsula has one or two rainforests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or