U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region Is The Lushest?
Mediterranean 2 4.35%
Oceanic 15 32.61%
Humid Subtropical 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 PM

470 posts, read 287,022 times

Advertisements

Of the three climate zones above, which produces the most impressive, superfluous flora? Which of the three presents the overall most lush vegetation?

I started this thread because there was debate as to whether or not rainfall was best in producing lush vegetation when in form of a winter (Med/Oceanic) or summer (Humid Subtropical) peak:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45101528-post80.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45102774-post82.html

There was also debate about lushness of vegetation in each region:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45128662-post142.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45128964-post144.html

The regions are specified as below:

Mediterranean: Corresponds to the region from the northern Baja California coast (around Tijuana), up the West Coast to Southern Oregon.

Oceanic: Corresponds much of the coastal Pacific Northwest (from Oregon/Washington, and up through western coastal Canada).

Humid Subtropical: Corresponds to the Southern US. Due to the climate zone being large in comparison to the West Coast zones, I will just limit this region to just the coastal plain areas (south Virginia to Florida, then west to the Texas Gulf).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 02:45 PM

86 posts, read 65,432 times
Yn0hTnA, is that you?

Humid Subtropical, I suppose

Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Yn0hTnA, is that you?

Humid Subtropical, I suppose
It is, he will never admit it though. I just shook my head the minute I saw this thread lol

Old 08-20-2016, 05:49 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
It's most likely subtropical, especially since it's mainly being focused to coastal regions, however one thing to keep in mind is that this region also has very sandy soils so it's not as lush as it could potentialy be and many of the forests are dominated by pine trees which don't have as much of a lush fibe. the PNW is pretty lush however in summer durring the dry season it does dry out, but the forests are still fairly green, it's mainly the lawns and gardens that seem to have a hard time staying green. And mediterranean climate is green for a good chunk of the year but it doesn't give off a very lush vibe.

This is really going to come down to the rainforests on the pacific coast particularly on the olympic peninsula and the gulf coast.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:25 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,575,780 times
PNW without a doubt. It's a jungle of year round green lushness with impenetrable ground covers and towering trees.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
This is really going to come down to the rainforests on the pacific coast particularly on the olympic peninsula and the gulf coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
PNW without a doubt. It's a jungle of year round green lushness with impenetrable ground covers and towering trees.

You guys have no idea who you are about to get into an argument with.

Let me grab some popcorn real quick first though.

Also if anyone reads this, vote anything other than Humid Subtropical. Just because of who this poster is and his history on this forum...

Old 08-20-2016, 10:10 PM

470 posts, read 287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Does it stay green even during summer, when months pass without a drop of rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You guys have no idea who you are about to get into an argument with.

Let me grab some popcorn real quick first though.

Also if anyone reads this, vote anything other than Humid Subtropical. Just because of who this poster is and his history on this forum...
Now, now, don't be a sourpuss; this is just a lighthearted, involved discussion on an interesting topic, that's all.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Does it stay green even during summer, when months pass without a drop of rain?

Now, now, don't be a sourpuss; this is just a lighthearted, involved discussion on an interesting topic, that's all.
The forests stay green, as long as the plants grow in the shade. Also we do receive rain in the summer, just not a whole lot of it, and the cool nights help the plants recover, and we don't get that hot in the first place so the plants are not as stressed compared to other places that have dry summers such as California. Also the majority of the underbrush in the forests are woody plants with deep root system. Also many of the plants are adapted to our short dry season and so are quite drought tolerant. And then again there are rain forests on the coast, yes they have a drying trend in the summer, but still receive sufficient amount of rain for instance Forks still gets 1.98 inches of rain in July it's driest month. I'm not saying the PNW is the most lush, just that it's a serious contender.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:18 AM

5,441 posts, read 8,148,393 times
Well it's not Mediterranean because that climate is too dry. It's a little harder to decide between Humid Subtropical and Oceanic though. I'd give a slight edge to Oceanic. I just think wet, and wet = Green. And judging just by Google maps, The PNW definitely has the darkest green/most lush looking area in the country

Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 AM

231 posts, read 154,745 times
Gotta be humid subtropical, right? The denseness of trees in the southern states is pretty incredible.

I am reading a book about Ted Bundy and the author said that when he moved from Washington to Florida, he was shocked by the closeness of the trees overhead and brush around him. To the point where it made him feel somewhat claustrophobic.

So I think that speaks volumes about the kind of growth and denseness you get in the humid subtropical region, even in comparison to the second runner up, oceanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or