Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 59,059 times

Advertisements

I am going on a solo trip, from the East coast so will be new. I plan to visit Portland along the way, Mt Hood, Redwoods , Yosemite, LA, Las Vegas. What are your thoughts, how to plan it, what to visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Don't miss Crater Lake in southern Oregon, it's on your route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbH5--nwxdk

Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Basically take I-5 all the way to Grants Pass, OR, from there take US 199 to Crescent City, CA, from there take US 101 south to Redwood Valley, then take CA 20 east to get back to I-5, then 5 south to Lathrop, then get on CA 120 east, which after going through Manteca as a freeway, becomes rural highway and passes through Oakdale then goes straight to Yosemite. You can then go out the east end of Yosemite on 120 past US 395 to US 6, take 6 east to Tonopah, NV where you will hit US 95. 95 will take you into Las Vegas, then to get to LA, take I-15 south to Rancho Cucamonga, then take CA 210/I-210 to Duarte where you will pick up I-605, take 605 to El Monte, where you will hit I-10, then take 10 into LA proper. Then 10 will take you straight to Phoenix from LA

Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 PM

How about Yosemite, Mt St. Helens. Any thoughts appreciated

Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
When will you be taking this trip? Time of year is important to know as some places will be pretty snowed in where mountains are concerned.

Some of my favorite places on road trips between Washington and Phoenix...

The rain forests on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington and the drive up to Hurricane Ridge
Mount Rainier National Park (depending on the time of year, because of snow)
Crater Lake (depending on the time of year, because of snow)
Southern Oregon coast/northern California coast and the Redwoods
Yosemite

If Tiago pass is still open and you exit Yosemite out that exit you can drive the 395 down stopping in Mammoth Lakes (take the gondola ride up Mammoth mountain, the views are crazy!) then continue through Bishop and Lone Pine, and you could go through Death Valley to get to Las Vegas.

Driving Hwy 1 through Big Sur in California is pretty epic, but may need to be saved for another time as it's on the central coast on the opposite side of California from Yosemite.

And if you're going to Phoenix (is that where you'll be flying back from??) for goodness sake go to Sedona! The Red Rocks are gorgeous! Take a Pink Jeep tour!

Hint: Go to a bookstore and buy or at least browse some DK eyewitness books. I love those when I travel and I also spend time at Tripadvisor.com when researching.

I'm jealous! Returned from a road trip on August 1st, and I'm ready for another! Lol!

p.s. It might be worth your while to look into a yearly pass called "The America the Beautiful Pass" if you're planning on seeing a few National Parks or Forests. We bought one this last road trip and it's already paid for itself, and we've got the rest of the year to go!

Have fun!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:26 AM

Middle of September

Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 PM

Is San Diego worth to visit?

Old 09-03-2016, 02:28 PM

231 posts, read 226,891 times
I definitely think it's worth going out of your way to hit Sedona in Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I love taking the route that goes through Laughlin, and there are plenty of little ghost towns in that part of Nevada that are so cool to visit and make for a fun day trip and cool photo ops. Lake Havasu is also there, so if you wanted to visit the waterfall there you could
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.