U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 52,793 times

Advertisements

Hi, all~

As is typical for these forums, I used these for a previous job relocation before. Have read up about 10 pages of comments, but have not found an answer to my specific inquiry:

Has anyone on this forum, moved from Charleston, SC to Virginia Beach, VA? If so, do you prefer Virginia over South Carolina? If so, why?

Am originally from Charlotte, NC, but we moved to the Charleston area for 2 reasons: we love the SC beaches (except for Myrtle, yuk), and there was a good job opportunity. As has been for many in this economy, the company folded. So we are "re-booting", and want to make a wise decision, this time around.

I've lived in NC half my life, and SC the other half. As with many things, both states have their upside/downside. Taxes are a big issue, in that generally, SC residents taxes are not as high as NC. I lived in Charlotte/Mecklenburg county, and know this to be true.

We will be visiting the VA, Beach/Hampton Roads area, sometime this fall before we even consider moving again. Although we aren't enthralled with Charleston, we don't have the funds to move on a whim. However, if this job opportunity "gels", then we probably will. Charleston is great fun, if you have money, and the "well heeled" are more obvious here, than the average Joe. Otherwise it is expensive to live here.

If there are any forum members who are from Charleston and have moved to Virginia, particularly VA Beach area, I would appreciate your opinions of VA, and why you think is better/worse than Charleston? Again, I am not "in love" with Charleston. We love the beaches around Kiawah and James Island/Folly, but otherwise, cannot afford the cost of living here. So at this point, we are considering moving back to Charlotte, NC, or pressing on to Virginia. The company I would be working for is based out of Hampton Roads.

Thanks in advance to those who have "been there, done that", with regards to Charleston, SC vs. Virginia Beach, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 AM

85 posts, read 52,793 times
Default Perceptions about a city, vs. the day-to-day

I think my mistake was in putting to much creedence in what marketing brochures said, all the tourism hype, and not enough on the day-to-day.

We had vacationed frequently in the Charleston area for years. My misconception about what living here would be like, is quite different. Obviously, every day is not a vacation day, and so when the daily grind of navigating traffic, noise, pollution, the expense of living in a destination city, all those things start to factor in. Ultimately, it has not been a very pleasant experience for our family.

If one is independently wealthy, then I supposed this would seem like "paradise". However, for those who need to work for a living, the job market here is not any better than many major cities in the south or southeast.

As you mentioned, I have lived all over the United States, and there are always pros/cons to any city, and the person(s) relocating have to keep that in their perspective of consideration. It all boils down to expectations. I clearly set my expectations to high, and so now am having to recalibrate.

As the saying goes "it depends". It sounds trite, but it's true.

I am in the healthcare field, and so the job, is the chief concern. I also do alot of outdoor photography and hiking, and so the proximity to the Outer Banks is appealing also.

Thank you for the information, very much appreciated!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 5,863 times
I agree with you that day to day living in a place is so different than visiting. That's one of the things I loved about Virginia Beach when I moved here. I had no idea what a great place it was to live. I would never have considered vacationing here on the Boardwalk (crazy with tourists during the summer). My family has been going to the Outer Banks since I was 3 so that was what a beach vacation was to me. We still have a house there and I love going to visit but would not want to live there year round. Virginia Beach, on the other hand, is a great place to live. During the summer you can avoid the boardwalk area and all of the tourists if you choose to but you can also head down there for live music and entertainment every night of the week. The locals have their favorite hot spots and tend to avoid a lot of the rest. Once September hits the boardwalk is fabulous and so much fun since it's not packed but so many places are still open. If you are into hiking we have First Landing State Park which is a true gem right near the oceanfront. 19+ miles of hiking trails on over 2888 acres. We also have Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge and False Cape State Park (that borders the OBX).

As far as day to day living we have everything you need and it all tends to be within about a 10-30 minute drive, depending on where you live. Traffic can be bad depending on where you live and work but if you plan it right you can have minimal commute time.

We have a lot of options in the healthcare field. Sentara is big here as is Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters (CHKD) and EVMS.

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or