U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM

449 posts, read 709,222 times

Advertisements

Quite a contrast, I know! I've been living in Durham, North Carolina for 14 years and feel it will be time for a change for the new year. I'm 58 y.o., just getting into a new line of work as a companion/caregiver to work with the elderly. I have never fit in here in North Carolina's culture being in my later 40s when I came here. It's not a place for single older women here.

I lived in Cleveland from late 1999 to 2000 and have missed it the whole time I've lived here in NC! I left because the weather transition to Cleveland back then was too harsh coming right from Florida. However, I loved the ethnic diversity there, the beauty of the park system, walking along the lake, having a great symphony orchestra, museums, etc. too.

Years back, going from Florida to Ohio and vice versa on several trips, I passed through Savannah and was captured by the charm of Savannah. There was a part of me wanting to stop the moving truck from going to Ohio back then because I was enamored by the beauty of Savannah - the squares, the river walk area, etc.
I still think of it fondly and wonder if I should've settled there, or should settle there after I leave NC.

I also took a few trips out to Phoenix, once at Christmastime and once in April, the start of the hot season. I was really impressed by Scottsdale and noticed at the time how there were a lot of people my age and single like myself too there. I never experienced such amazing sunsets before elsewhere. It's beautiful out there, except of course the heat, even though it's a dry heat. I have never been to New Mexico but have thought I should visit there too and that I'd probably like it there as much as Arizona if not more.

So, what I'm looking for is a place that will offer me groups to make friends my age, along with a place to do companion care too, or even front desk work at a retirement community. The weather? Well, no place is ideal. It's either hot or cold one has to deal with. I'd love a place that offers the symphony, and museums too, a place I can fit in by myself (with my dog). I'm not athletic at all but would enjoy parks to explore with my dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:45 PM

18,926 posts, read 6,911,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Quite a contrast, I know! I've been living in Durham, North Carolina for 14 years and feel it will be time for a change for the new year. I'm 58 y.o., just getting into a new line of work as a companion/caregiver to work with the elderly. I have never fit in here in North Carolina's culture being in my later 40s when I came here. It's not a place for single older women here.

I lived in Cleveland from late 1999 to 2000 and have missed it the whole time I've lived here in NC! I left because the weather transition to Cleveland back then was too harsh coming right from Florida. However, I loved the ethnic diversity there, the beauty of the park system, walking along the lake, having a great symphony orchestra, museums, etc. too.

Years back, going from Florida to Ohio and vice versa on several trips, I passed through Savannah and was captured by the charm of Savannah. There was a part of me wanting to stop the moving truck from going to Ohio back then because I was enamored by the beauty of Savannah - the squares, the river walk area, etc.
I still think of it fondly and wonder if I should've settled there, or should settle there after I leave NC.

I also took a few trips out to Phoenix, once at Christmastime and once in April, the start of the hot season. I was really impressed by Scottsdale and noticed at the time how there were a lot of people my age and single like myself too there. I never experienced such amazing sunsets before elsewhere. It's beautiful out there, except of course the heat, even though it's a dry heat. I have never been to New Mexico but have thought I should visit there too and that I'd probably like it there as much as Arizona if not more.

So, what I'm looking for is a place that will offer me groups to make friends my age, along with a place to do companion care too, or even front desk work at a retirement community. The weather? Well, no place is ideal. It's either hot or cold one has to deal with. I'd love a place that offers the symphony, and museums too, a place I can fit in by myself (with my dog). I'm not athletic at all but would enjoy parks to explore with my dog.
Choose Phoenix area, good choices for you would be Sun City or Sun City West, both 55+ communities, due to no competition from younger people, and lower taxes due to no schools, you could live a great life, and both have great community centers for socializing with each other.

And if you want ammenities, you are only a short drive to Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale

Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,835,875 times
Quote:
I lived in Cleveland from late 1999 to 2000 and have missed it the whole time I've lived here in NC!
I feel the same way about NY. I regret leaving for a southern state. My suggestion is to visit all 3 cities again and see what they are like.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:21 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
I love Cleveland and northeast Ohio in general. It's a great balance between cost of living, things to do and culture. It's not too big, nor too small of a metropolitan area, too. The climate is harsh though and it's cloudy most of the time. But I still like it.

The suggestion for Phoenix was good, considering your social life desires. Cleveland is probably more for those who have family established in the area.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,896,511 times
Quote:

If you like classical music, Cleveland is difficult to top. The Cleveland Orchestra is one of the best in the world. Concerts seats are available and affordable. With Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center, Cleveland arguably has the best classical music venues in the U.S. The Orchestra sponsors great choirs and an accomplished youth orchestra.

Free concerts often are offered at the renown Cleveland Institute of Music. Nearby Oberlin College offers a robust performance calendar, offering featuring jazz.

https://www.clevelandpiano.org/about/

Cleveland also offers the Cleveland Pops Orchestra, Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, and the Cleveland Women's Orchestra, as well as one of the most robust theater districts in the U.S.

Cleveland winters are becoming much more mild. See the discussion in this thread. I wonder if you lived in Cleveland during a colder winter.

A Year in the Cleveland Area

You might have had a different perception during this winter, or the immediately past winter.

All-time Cleveland winter temperature records | cleveland.com

Have you visited the Cleveland Museum of Art since the completion of its $320 million renovation? It truly now has a physical plant and exceptional technology platform to match its renown, world-class collection.

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index....of_arts_p.html

http://www.clevelandart.org/gallery-one/collection-wall

Read about the new CMA here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

Did you visit Severance Hall after its renovation, improving acoustics even further and most importantly reintegrating the Skinner organ into the stage?

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/10/ar...ely-sound.html

If you ever visited the Holden Arboretum, one of the largest and best in the U.S., it also has been transformed in recent years. It's also now affiliated with the very good Cleveland Botanical Garden.

http://www.holdenarb.org/visit/canopywalk.asp

Here's just one reason that I enjoy Cleveland winters.

http://ianadamsphotography.com/news/...n-arboretum-2/

Additionally, there's the assurance that the maple sugar season will begin in February!

Personally, I couldn't tolerate a summer in the Phoenix area, dry heat or not, it's brutal heat. Also, have you experienced a Phoenix sandstorm? I don't know how frequent they occur, but they are nasty, much worse than a snowstorm IMO, which at least can be considered beautiful for those who enjoy snow!

Frequency of sandstorms

Southern AZ remains for me a great place to visit, especially for spring MLB baseball, but not a place on my relocation list of possibilities.

My suggestion is visit Savannah, revisit Cleveland, and definitely visit Phoenix during the summer before making a decision.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-22-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 AM

432 posts, read 357,759 times
Go to Phoenix. Golfing in Scottsdale with their sunsets and desert landscape is pure bliss....nothing beats Christmastime in Phoenix too. With Phoenix being so close to California and the northern parts of the state, I would imagine that it would be rather easy to escape the heat for a weekend during the summer.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM

All great points everyone! I loved Scottsdale; Phoenix not so much. Hated driving there and felt daunted by their interstate, hearing about all the horrible accidents that have occurred there, not that accidents don't happen anywhere else. I know Arizona is full of retirement communities, which I do have mixed feelings about. Even though I'm 58, I'm a "young 58" and not sure I'm ready for a lot of the aspects of retirement communities, but if working in eldercare does work out, it'd be a great place to be. I loved the sun every day, feeling like I was on an vacation every morning I woke up. At the same time, I'm not so sure the steady diet of a vacation is for me either. But absolutely, the spectacular sunsets are amazing to look forward to every day.

Hi there, Nep321! We exchanged a few e-mails back when you were looking over Cleveland, before you made the short move there. Your thoughts about the balance Cleveland offers are what impress me the most. WRNative, yes indeed, I loved University Circle area. I lived there twice, actually, first in North Olmsted and then Olmsted Falls, and then in Westlake. That was before living in North Carolina, and even though it is milder in North Carolina, I have now gotten used to winter, whereas back then I was fresh out of Florida, and right after a horrible period in my life when I lost my parents, my dog, and had a broken engagement...so I was grieving on so many levels. It was between 2000 and 2002. What i do remember was how I loved the church where I was in the choir. There was a sense of belonging and family there that I'll never forget. We used to go out for pie after choir rehearsal and then breakfast after Mass. I have never found that here in NC, even being here 14 years.

When I lived in Cleveland, I did attend Classical concerts both at Severance Hall and at Blossom. I was also in a Catholic singles club and we went to Put-in-Bay one summer. Loved it. And at that time, not sure about now, they had weekly dances at area hotels for singles. I enjoyed that also. Even though, like you said, Nep, Cleveland has a lot of families, especially some who've been there for generations, there were enough people where other groups were represented, plus the lower cost of living there was and still is very appealing.

Thanks so much for those great links, WRNative. I'm going to check them out!

As far as Savannah, I wonder if loving it so much because it's so gorgeous and such a tourist destination would wear off living there. I also am concerned about the crime there, but maybe that's a lot worse due to negative media. I also think the dating scene for my age bracket might not be great since there is such a large gay population there. However, I did come across a Baby Boomers Meetup group online, so who knows.

Ideally, I'd love to visit all these places again but don't have the financial means to do it. Flip a coin? Just go? I need to set a goal and do it though. I've gotten into a rut of not acting due to fear of the unknown...well not altogether the unknown, but the fear of making a mistake. Which is not good and not healthy!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,065,891 times
If you like savannah also try charleston sc . A little bigger but pretty much the same feel. A lil more diversity

Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,896,511 times
Default Phoenix haboob this past Sunday

8/21/16:

https://weather.com/news/news/arizon...m-aerial-image

Giant Haboob Coats Phoenix in Dust Video - ABC News

VIDEO: Massive haboob sweeps through Phoenix | abc7.com

Old 08-23-2016, 05:39 AM

I saw that on the national news, WRnative. Pretty scary looking how it moves across the area. Would have to stay inside while it's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or