U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
5 posts, read 3,373 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

HI there,
Currently I reside in a northern suburb of Atlanta. At the moment I'm looking for a smaller city abounding with open-mindedness, little traffic, decent employment rate, and greener laws.

Although Atlanta is a progressive city, its traffic insanity and educational employment isn't the best. I'm in search of a town where acceptance of all humans is typical mindset, Nature is easily accessible (real nature - not simply a park that echoes the roar of an interstate), and marijuana is legal. A friend I'll be moving with has medical concerns that would benefit from the comfort of medicinal marijuana. As for myself, I could not really care less. Also, dog-friendly towns are very much welcomed.

I'm not asking for a liberal city - simply one that recognizes humans for their independent uniqueness and is far less judgemental than much of Georgia's population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 PM
 
56,749 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Reputation: 12550
Ithaca NY, Amherst/Northampton MA and perhaps Ann Arbor MI, among some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 01:06 PM
 
1,292 posts, read 1,128,610 times
Reputation: 2153
Twin Cities. Madison, WI. Much of the PNW.

Medicinal marijuana or recreational legality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM
 
21,211 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Reputation: 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuippyQuipster View Post
HI there,
Currently I reside in a northern suburb of Atlanta. At the moment I'm looking for a smaller city abounding with open-mindedness, little traffic, decent employment rate, and greener laws.

Although Atlanta is a progressive city, its traffic insanity and educational employment isn't the best. I'm in search of a town where acceptance of all humans is typical mindset, Nature is easily accessible (real nature - not simply a park that echoes the roar of an interstate), and marijuana is legal. A friend I'll be moving with has medical concerns that would benefit from the comfort of medicinal marijuana. As for myself, I could not really care less. Also, dog-friendly towns are very much welcomed.

I'm not asking for a liberal city - simply one that recognizes humans for their independent uniqueness and is far less judgemental than much of Georgia's population.
Check out places like Eugene or Corvallis OR, Boulder or Ft Collins CO, Burlington VT, Olympia WA and Davis CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,464,153 times
Reputation: 12309
Ventura, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
5 posts, read 3,373 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Twin Cities. Madison, WI. Much of the PNW.

Medicinal marijuana or recreational legality?

At least medicinal, I suppose. She simply wants something should the Lyme disease show any signs of returning.


As far as the PNW, that would be amazing, however somehow the education systems in these areas are not as strong as the one even in Georgia (which is questionable at the least). I only know this due to research and family in Oregon.


As for Burlington, VT - this would be ideal but teaching jobs are hard to come by and it is extremely competitive per numerous friends living in the area.


If it sounds like I am being extremely picky...I apologize!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 AM
 
21,211 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Reputation: 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuippyQuipster View Post
At least medicinal, I suppose. She simply wants something should the Lyme disease show any signs of returning.


As far as the PNW, that would be amazing, however somehow the education systems in these areas are not as strong as the one even in Georgia (which is questionable at the least). I only know this due to research and family in Oregon.


As for Burlington, VT - this would be ideal but teaching jobs are hard to come by and it is extremely competitive per numerous friends living in the area.


If it sounds like I am being extremely picky...I apologize!
Well if public schools are that important across the board (as pretty much every city has pockets of exceptional schools at the very least), I would opt for Maryland which has the highest ranking public schools in the country, medical marijuana is legal there and as for the job market, it's quite strong in the areas north of DC on up to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 AM
 
1,292 posts, read 1,128,610 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuippyQuipster View Post
At least medicinal, I suppose. She simply wants something should the Lyme disease show any signs of returning.


As far as the PNW, that would be amazing, however somehow the education systems in these areas are not as strong as the one even in Georgia (which is questionable at the least). I only know this due to research and family in Oregon.


As for Burlington, VT - this would be ideal but teaching jobs are hard to come by and it is extremely competitive per numerous friends living in the area.


If it sounds like I am being extremely picky...I apologize!
Minnesota has very good public education and the Twin Cities have a lot of higher Ed (major research U, a dozen small privates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
5 posts, read 3,373 times
Reputation: 17
Thank you all for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top