U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,226,428 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Los Angeles area but my wife and I have been itching to get out of here. Currently I work in entertainment industry but thinking that when current project/job ends (probably 3-5 years away) that we will just pick up and relocate. Things we want in an ideal world:

1. More affordable then LA. It would be nice to own a small, modest house.
2. Generally less people/traffic
3. Good public schools.
4. Access to outdoors and some mountains for hiking, camping, biking etc. Reasonable drive to ocean would be nice but not necessary. Good air quality. Low allergens
5. Jobs. Currently working in TV but also have a lot of IT/helpdesk experience over 15 years. We live below our means but obviously need to have job that can support a family of 3 and healthy enough economy where if one job goes away there will be other options

Our first thoughts are CO, OR and WA. But it seems like areas that have strong job markets (Denver, Seattle) are becoming as crowded as LA and I think we'd run into many of the same things that annoy us already. And the places that are more rural or quieter don't seem to have good job markets or schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:32 PM

56,518 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Currently living in Los Angeles area but my wife and I have been itching to get out of here. Currently I work in entertainment industry but thinking that when current project/job ends (probably 3-5 years away) that we will just pick up and relocate. Things we want in an ideal world:

1. More affordable then LA. It would be nice to own a small, modest house.
2. Generally less people/traffic
3. Good public schools.
4. Access to outdoors and some mountains for hiking, camping, biking etc. Reasonable drive to ocean would be nice but not necessary. Good air quality. Low allergens
5. Jobs. Currently working in TV but also have a lot of IT/helpdesk experience over 15 years. We live below our means but obviously need to have job that can support a family of 3 and healthy enough economy where if one job goes away there will be other options

Our first thoughts are CO, OR and WA. But it seems like areas that have strong job markets (Denver, Seattle) are becoming as crowded as LA and I think we'd run into many of the same things that annoy us already. And the places that are more rural or quieter don't seem to have good job markets or schools
Maybe you could look into parts of the Hudson Valley/Catskills north of NYC. It has commuter rail into NYC, but it is also close to mountains. COL is a little bit lower, but the train commutes can be quite lengthy. MNR Map

School districts like Spackenkill, Arlington, Carmel, Brewster and Cornwall, among some others, may work for you.

I only mention this area due to the industry that you are in.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe you could look into parts of the Hudson Valley/Catskills north of NYC. It has commuter rail into NYC, but it is also close to mountains. COL is a little bit lower, but the train commutes can be quite lengthy. MNR Map

School districts like Spackenkill, Arlington, Carmel, Brewster and Cornwall, among some others, may work for you.

I only mention this area due to the industry that you are in.
Thanks. Well we bought a condo last year and now I'm commuting 45 minutes each way which is already annoying. With a small kid I kind of want have more time to spend with family instead of commuting. COL actually has a pretty strong broadcast TV presence as they have a major NBC facility there so that is a place I was looking before we decided to buy our condo. But honestly I'm not concerned about staying in industry. I do have a lot of experience that translates to general IT work so I should be able to get a job anywhere that has a Tech industry.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM

473 posts, read 358,562 times
Well, you've hit on the great Catch-22 of urban vs. rural living.

What sorts of allergens do you need to avoid? You may need to rule out most of the Southeast of you're referring to grass, ragweed, pollen, etc.

How about someplace like Salt Lake City? It's near the mountains, drier climate, a small but growing tech sector ...

Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Well we bought a condo last year and now I'm commuting 45 minutes each way which is already annoying. With a small kid I kind of want have more time to spend with family instead of commuting. COL actually has a pretty strong broadcast TV presence as they have a major NBC facility there so that is a place I was looking before we decided to buy our condo. But honestly I'm not concerned about staying in industry. I do have a lot of experience that translates to general IT work so I should be able to get a job anywhere that has a Tech industry.
I'm sorry....By COL, I meant cost of living. If you are open to coming East, then perhaps an area like Albany-Schenectady-Troy, which has a tech sector may work. It is close to 3 or 4 sets of mountains and is only about a couple of hours or so away from NYC and the coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

Tech Valley

Tech Valley: A Hub of Research and Development

Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Well, you've hit on the great Catch-22 of urban vs. rural living.

What sorts of allergens do you need to avoid? You may need to rule out most of the Southeast of you're referring to grass, ragweed, pollen, etc.

How about someplace like Salt Lake City? It's near the mountains, drier climate, a small but growing tech sector ...
My wife is literally allergic to everything. She gets bedridden every couple of months in Los Angeles which isn't particularly bad for allergies. I've read that the two Portlands are the best places to be for allergies but also arid mountain areas. We both like Utah a lot and have thought about it but we're afraid of Mormons. I know Mormons are generally good people but I have read horror stories about them running people out of towns in Utah, mainly smaller towns I think not SLC. We are non organized religion people. My wife is liberal leaning and I am more libertarian politically so we dont want an ultra conservative area and prefer people that mind their own business. I've heard that Colorado is generally a place where people don't get involved in neighbors lives.

But SLC might be worh considering

Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry....By COL, I meant cost of living. If you are open to coming East, then perhaps an area like Albany-Schenectady-Troy, which has a tech sector may work. It is close to 3 or 4 sets of mountains and is only about a couple of hours or so away from NYC and the coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

Tech Valley

Tech Valley: A Hub of Research and Development
I grew up in new england and not opposed to the northeast but I'd be more interested in Portland ME, Burlington VT or southern NH. Albany area might be worth considering but I honestly would not move anywhere near NYC as it has everything I hate about LA

Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I grew up in new england and not opposed to the northeast but I'd be more interested in Portland ME, Burlington VT or southern NH. Albany area might be worth considering but I honestly would not move anywhere near NYC as it has everything I hate about LA
Albany wouldn't have anything similar to NYC. It is its own metro area and is big enough to have quite a bit, but is bigger than areas like Burlington and Portland ME. It also has a lower cost of living than NYC and perhaps all of those areas of New England as well. For instance, Global Foundries in Malta is close to this village: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0026...8i6656!6m1!1e1

This small city is only minutes away: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0832...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Opportunities in the US

So, you don't necessarily have to consider Albany itself. Here is some more about the area: Albany: Official Guide To Albany Hotels, Events, Restaurants, Real Estate, Classifieds & More In Albany NY On Albany.com!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Albany wouldn't have anything similar to NYC. It is its own metro area and is big enough to have quite a bit, but is bigger than areas like Burlington and Portland ME. It also has a lower cost of living than NYC and perhaps all of those areas of New England as well. For instance, Global Foundries in Malta is close to this village: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0026...8i6656!6m1!1e1

This small city is only minutes away: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0832...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Opportunities in the US

So, you don't necessarily have to consider Albany itself. Here is some more about the area: Albany: Official Guide To Albany Hotels, Events, Restaurants, Real Estate, Classifieds & More In Albany NY On Albany.com!
Thanks. One of my good friends went to school at Siena and I visited a few times when he was there (late 90s) so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. It's definitely not as hectic as NYC

Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,798,465 times
Soooo, I'm guessing Phoenix is out of the question??? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or