U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM

7,707 posts, read 4,572,099 times

Advertisements

Where are there golf course is located in or adjacent to dense urban neighborhoods?

I don't think of the Bronx golf courses as particularly urban, but Chicago Parks District has some really urban courses.

Chicago Park District Golf | Golf Courses in Chicago Park District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM

56,638 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Syracuse has 2 9 hole golf courses that are a part of the city's Park and Rec. department. http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/sunnycrestPark.html
http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/sunn...olfcourse.html

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/burnetPark.html
http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/burnetGolfCourse.html

I don't know if neighborhoods are urban enough though. Some nearby areas may be.

Buffalo's Delaware Park Golf Course, which is 18 holes, may be a better fit, as it isn't too far from Elmwood Village or Main Street: https://www.bfloparks.org/parks/delaware-park/

A couple of other golf courses in that city: https://www.bfloparks.org/golf/

This is a smaller city and may not be too urban in the immediate area, but it is blocks from row houses: Welcome to the City of Troy, NY | Frear Park Golf Course

Old 08-24-2016, 03:07 PM

990 posts, read 499,766 times
In St. Louis there are courses in Forest Park.

The Courses at Forest Park

Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,244,563 times
LA has Rancho Park Golf Course bound by Rancho Park, Beverlywood, Cheviot Hills and Century City.

In my opinion Golf Courses are the biggest waste of space possible in an urban environment. They should all be decommissioned and turned into public parks or housing.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
LA has Rancho Park Golf Course bound by Rancho Park, Beverlywood, Cheviot Hills and Century City.

In my opinion Golf Courses are the biggest waste of space possible in an urban environment. They should all be decommissioned and turned into public parks or housing.
I think most urban golf courses are in parks. Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, Candler Park in Atlanta, Jackson Park in Chicago, Schenley Park in Pittsburgh come to mind. Golf courses are certainly a waste of water, but I wouldn't go so far to saying they're a waste of space. Public green space is public green space.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:36 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,244,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think most urban golf courses are in parks. Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, Candler Park in Atlanta, Jackson Park in Chicago, Schenley Park in Pittsburgh come to mind. Golf courses are certainly a waste of water, but I wouldn't go so far to saying they're a waste of space. Public green space is public green space.
How many people who get to enjoy the park also get to leisurely walk around the golf course? I'm guessing zero, and most golf courses cater to rich white men.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
How many people who get to enjoy the park also get to leisurely walk around the golf course? I'm guessing zero, and most golf courses cater to rich white men.
I've played most of these courses, and there are TONS of working-class black men and recent college grads playing. These are municipal courses where you can play for $25. They rent, and sometimes even loan clubs. They're very much for the community.

Last edited by gladhands; 08-24-2016 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Liberty National Golf Course in Jersey City, NJ comes to mind.

Liberty National*Home Page

It's in the Greenville neighborhood of Jersey City, which has the lowest population density in town, 11,000 ppsm. That's due in large part to the presence of this golf course, Liberty State Park, and a seaport.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,126,390 times
Theodore Worth in Minneapolis. Oldest public west of the Mississippi. Holly and challenging.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 AM

774 posts, read 842,613 times
Washington, DC has East Potomac Golf Course. While not exactly located adjacent to urban development, you can see Reagan National Airport, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Southwest, and the National Mall from various parts of the course.

Baltimore has Carroll Park (visible from I-95 coming from DC as you approach the downtown exits) near some heavy industrial zones and rowhouse neighborhoods. There is also Clifton Park, surrounded by rowhouse neighborhoods on three sides in the northeast side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.