U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times

Advertisements

#1 city for Millennials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
"Biggest park" is one. Before the internets were popular I worked for a park advocacy group and talked to a lot of park departments and advocates around NA to tally stats. Claims about biggest parks or third-biggest came up again and again. I think I ruined more than one person's day when I told them their 500- or 1,000-acre park was well down the list. Chambers of commerce and reporters are particularly bad at this sort of thing...they hear a stat and completely misunderstand and misquote it, then all the locals pick it up...

Theater districts and quality-of-theater are another. Houston, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Chicago, and others make claims about being second to Broadway. There's probably a shred of evidence behind each one. Like they'll count seats in a geographic area defined to make themselves look best. Or they'll look at a stack of magazine surveys and pick the one from two years ago that put them #2, or whatever.
Seattle never boasts like that, right? If I see another thread about how great Seattle is I'm going to be eating my own barf for lunch.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM

100 posts, read 70,860 times
Used to be a lot nicer, but drugs/gangs/etc from Other City are ruining everything for everybody.

You'll never meet kinder-hearted, more honest people, though.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:13 AM

436 posts, read 330,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
"Biggest park" is one. Before the internets were popular I worked for a park advocacy group and talked to a lot of park departments and advocates around NA to tally stats. Claims about biggest parks or third-biggest came up again and again. I think I ruined more than one person's day when I told them their 500- or 1,000-acre park was well down the list. Chambers of commerce and reporters are particularly bad at this sort of thing...they hear a stat and completely misunderstand and misquote it, then all the locals pick it up...

Theater districts and quality-of-theater are another. Houston, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Chicago, and others make claims about being second to Broadway. There's probably a shred of evidence behind each one. Like they'll count seats in a geographic area defined to make themselves look best. Or they'll look at a stack of magazine surveys and pick the one from two years ago that put them #2, or whatever.
Agreed. Best orchestra, best art museum, best zoo. The zoo thing is my favorite for comparing cities. Like your once a year trip to the free zoo is the straw that breaks a camel's back.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,494,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Oklahoma is the true buckle of the Bible Belt when you look at the culture and the fact that its conservatism and fundamentalism is pretty universal throughout the state. Every county voted for Romney in 2012 and every county voted for McCain in 2008. No other state can make that claim, so that alone gives Oklahoma special status as "buckle of the Bible belt." The other thing is the fact that Oklahoma's metro areas are conservative when almost every urban area in the country outside of Oklahoma leans left. In fact, only small pockets of Norman and Tulsa are progressive at all and the rest of the state is solid red.

Tennessee cannot make that claim as Nashville and Memphis are somewhat progressive. Arkansas has Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Eureka Springs that lean left. Texas has Austin, which is VERY liberal and its major cities Houston and Dallas also lean left. I don't believe Indiana is the buckle of the Bible Belt, but they do have First Baptist Church of Hammond which is hugely influential nationwide. However, and influential conservative church doesn't make an area the buckle of the Bible Belt unless the entire culture embraces that church, which doesn't happen in northwest Indiana.

I would say Oklahoma City meets all the criteria to be the buckle of the Bible Belt. The conservatism, the traditionalism, the fundamentalism, the blue laws and strong support for them by the people, and the lack of a real opposing liberal voice in the city makes it the true buckle. Nowhere else is going to feel as culturally right-wing and "churchy" as OKC.

Haha don't try and go out for lunch on Sunday in Nashville right after church has let out. Progressive or not it's still pretty heavy with residents who are religious.

You have this personal bias toward Oklahoma City we get it. You need to tone down your rhetoric, and look objectively at your own thought process. This is the 3rd thread today I have read where you have used hyperboles and blown out stereotypes to describe the city. I'm not sure where your resentment comes from, but I know more than a couple good guys from OKC who are gay and not hiding under ground in fear of hate crimes. There is not this insidious hate filled culture, that has somehow been magically kept a secret from the rest of the country. These statements are your personal resentment and biases, and they borderline at best. Please be more careful in not misrepresenting a place.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:38 PM

742 posts, read 720,899 times
^ That's all his posts of OKC ever consist of: hyperboles and blown out stereotypes.

"In fact, only small pockets of Norman and Tulsa are progressive at all and the rest of the state is solid red."

So the whole inner side of OKC is going to be disregarded? (Latest map data I could find from 2008)

Tulsa

Also, in 2012, 36% of Tulsa County voted for Obama while 42% of Oklahoma County did.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 PM

6,865 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Haha don't try and go out for lunch on Sunday in Nashville right after church has let out. Progressive or not it's still pretty heavy with residents who are religious.

You have this personal bias toward Oklahoma City we get it. You need to tone down your rhetoric, and look objectively at your own thought process. This is the 3rd thread today I have read where you have used hyperboles and blown out stereotypes to describe the city. I'm not sure where your resentment comes from, but I know more than a couple good guys from OKC who are gay and not hiding under ground in fear of hate crimes. There is not this insidious hate filled culture, that has somehow been magically kept a secret from the rest of the country. These statements are your personal resentment and biases, and they borderline at best. Please be more careful in not misrepresenting a place.
We on the Oklahoma thread kind of see BawacChris as our young malcontent. As you said, generally I agree with him but not to the extent that he presents his criticisms.

But since that is off topic let me put out another one that I have heard several places in the country.

(Insert name of bar/city) sells/drinks more beer per capita than any other bar/city in the country.

In Oklahoma, Stillwater tries to make this claim quite often.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,759 times
Silicon "X"

Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM

821 posts, read 1,254,660 times
I think people complain about other city's drivers. "Drivers here are bad." "They don't use turn signals here." "So much speeding and tailgating here." It's especially prevalent in cities with lots of transplants. It always seems it's the natives who are the worst drivers and the transplants are the ones who know how to drive.

I think it's universal to complain about other drivers. I do it too.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 PM

627 posts, read 273,743 times
Non-Confederate states claiming they are in the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or