U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,025,065 times

Advertisements

A few examples of boosterism claims made by lots of places:

-We're family friendly (what exactly does that mean?).
-We have the highest quality of life anywhere. (again, what exactly does that mean, and who determines and agrees on what's the "highest" quality of life.
-We have the most generous, friendliest people you can find anywhere. (How is that measured, who decides this, how can this be quantified, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 04:14 AM

970 posts, read 1,642,927 times
Bad stereotypes for my city/state are wrong, good stereotypes for my city/state are right.

Bad stereotypes for your city/state are right, good stereotypes for your city/state are wrong.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 9,364 times
"Increasing violence is due to those Chicago gangs moving in"

**provides no evidence

Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM

5,707 posts, read 8,773,655 times
"Tennessee cannot make that claim as Nashville and Memphis are somewhat progressive."

Sorry to go off topic but here's my little rant. A community can have high church attendance and still be progressive. Think about it: Jesus was probably to the left of Bernie Sanders on a lot of issues. A lot of mainstream churches have open and affirming policies.

I'm wondering about the Memphis comment. Chattanooga and Knoxville are more progressive in the sense of solar and sustainability issues. Chattanooga has lightning fast internet, Knoxville had early anti LGBT discrimination laws.

I don't mind Tennessee being called the buckle of the bible belt. One of Nashville's main industries is Bible and religious publishing. Just wanted to address the attitude that people that attend church can't be progressive.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM

231 posts, read 155,118 times
"Amazing food"

"Hipster food scene"- the standard for what constitutes "hipster" seems to be anything done by a 20 something nowadays

"vibrant museum scene"- as someone who grew up in DC I find this especially laughable. When you have ONE museum with maybe 3 paintings by major (as in widely known) artists that charges $25 to get in... please. Stop kidding yourself.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
"Hipster food scene"- the standard for what constitutes "hipster" seems to be anything done by a 20 something nowadays
especially their expensive tasting portions on irregular shaped white plates. We should all be impressed and in awe.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you don't like the weather in _______ wait 5 minutes.
From the Great State of __________
________ has the best fans in (enter sport)
Yep heard this EVERYWHERE. It's called a cold front people.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 6,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep heard this EVERYWHERE. It's called a cold front people.
Actually that came from Will Rogers who said it about Oklahoma.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:37 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,968,835 times
I get tired of every single tourist or real-estate brochure using the word "nestled"...... As in "Our cute bed and breakfast is charmingly nestled between a pawn-shop and a bail-bondsman".

It's almost as bad as the nauseatingly over-used words "Awesome" and "Nice".

Maryland is called "America in Miniature" because it contains some of every topograhy - but so what? The same thing could said of nearly every other U.S. state (except I suppose for the few states that have generally flat terrain such as FL, LA, MS, RI, DE).

I also agree with the comment above, about "worst drivers" and "changeable weather" being applied to many different places.

This article addresses the term "Bible Belt" - including several places that are labeled the "Buckle" of the Bible Belt - and also several overseas Bible Belts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-26-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,167,083 times
Miami area people do not defend their city because everyone is from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or