U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM
 
1,586 posts, read 1,545,781 times
Reputation: 2361

Advertisements

I was just perusing another thread and noticed that someone referred to Oklahoma as the "buckle of the Bible Belt." Every time I see that phrase used, I think of the fact that everywhere in that general area of the country claims to be the buckle of the Bible Belt, but this time I decided to do some googling and see if I was right or just imagining things.

Here, in order, are the states Google suggests are the buckle of the Bible Belt, based on a search for the phrase "is the buckle of the bible belt":
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Indiana (this one seems particularly unlikely to me, and yet it recurred several times. It's next to Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. How does that make it the buckle?)
  • South Carolina
  • Arkansas

I also got lots of results for individual cities, such as Macon, Georgia, and Springfield, Missouri. The plurality of references seem to be to Tennessee, so maybe Tennessee is the real buckle.

Anyway, what are some other claims that people seem to make about lots of places? Our greatest president, George W. Bush, comes to mind, and his frequent claims that common things were exclusive to Texas. We shall never forget his immortal quote, which should probably be chiseled into the side of a monument: "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2016, 01:12 PM
 
9,402 posts, read 9,566,265 times
Reputation: 5810
If you don't like the weather in _______ wait 5 minutes.
From the Great State of __________
________ has the best fans in (enter sport)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,241 posts, read 24,463,501 times
Reputation: 13011
One popular in the west: "300 days of sunshine".
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM
 
7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
Reputation: 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you don't like the weather in _______ wait 5 minutes.
From the Great State of __________
________ has the best fans in (enter sport)
Gospel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,114 posts, read 4,155,253 times
Reputation: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I was just perusing another thread and noticed that someone referred to Oklahoma as the "buckle of the Bible Belt." Every time I see that phrase used, I think of the fact that everywhere in that general area of the country claims to be the buckle of the Bible Belt, but this time I decided to do some googling and see if I was right or just imagining things.

Here, in order, are the states Google suggests are the buckle of the Bible Belt, based on a search for the phrase "is the buckle of the bible belt":
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Indiana (this one seems particularly unlikely to me, and yet it recurred several times. It's next to Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. How does that make it the buckle?)
  • South Carolina
  • Arkansas

I also got lots of results for individual cities, such as Macon, Georgia, and Springfield, Missouri. The plurality of references seem to be to Tennessee, so maybe Tennessee is the real buckle.

Anyway, what are some other claims that people seem to make about lots of places? Our greatest president, George W. Bush, comes to mind, and his frequent claims that common things were exclusive to Texas. We shall never forget his immortal quote, which should probably be chiseled into the side of a monument: "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again!"
I would say Oklahoma is the true buckle of the Bible Belt when you look at the culture and the fact that its conservatism and fundamentalism is pretty universal throughout the state. Every county voted for Romney in 2012 and every county voted for McCain in 2008. No other state can make that claim, so that alone gives Oklahoma special status as "buckle of the Bible belt." The other thing is the fact that Oklahoma's metro areas are conservative when almost every urban area in the country outside of Oklahoma leans left. In fact, only small pockets of Norman and Tulsa are progressive at all and the rest of the state is solid red.

Tennessee cannot make that claim as Nashville and Memphis are somewhat progressive. Arkansas has Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Eureka Springs that lean left. Texas has Austin, which is VERY liberal and its major cities Houston and Dallas also lean left. I don't believe Indiana is the buckle of the Bible Belt, but they do have First Baptist Church of Hammond which is hugely influential nationwide. However, and influential conservative church doesn't make an area the buckle of the Bible Belt unless the entire culture embraces that church, which doesn't happen in northwest Indiana.

I would say Oklahoma City meets all the criteria to be the buckle of the Bible Belt. The conservatism, the traditionalism, the fundamentalism, the blue laws and strong support for them by the people, and the lack of a real opposing liberal voice in the city makes it the true buckle. Nowhere else is going to feel as culturally right-wing and "churchy" as OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,889 posts, read 6,214,626 times
Reputation: 6192
Playboy rated (insert school name here) the #1 party school in the nation.

and it's companion phrase.................

Playboy rated (insert name of school here) the #1 party school in the nation. However, they didn't rate (insert name of YOUR school here), because they don't rate professionals with amateurs.

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-24-2016 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM
 
100 posts, read 71,040 times
Reputation: 175
In the event of a nuclear war, ________ would be one of the first cities to be attacked. Here's the ludicrous reason why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,889 posts, read 6,214,626 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Oklahoma is the true buckle of the Bible Belt when you look at the culture and the fact that its conservatism and fundamentalism is pretty universal throughout the state. Every county voted for Romney in 2012 and every county voted for McCain in 2008. No other state can make that claim, so that alone gives Oklahoma special status as "buckle of the Bible belt." The other thing is the fact that Oklahoma's metro areas are conservative when almost every urban area in the country outside of Oklahoma leans left. In fact, only small pockets of Norman and Tulsa are progressive at all and the rest of the state is solid red.

Tennessee cannot make that claim as Nashville and Memphis are somewhat progressive. Arkansas has Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Eureka Springs that lean left. Texas has Austin, which is VERY liberal and its major cities Houston and Dallas also lean left. I don't believe Indiana is the buckle of the Bible Belt, but they do have First Baptist Church of Hammond which is hugely influential nationwide. However, and influential conservative church doesn't make an area the buckle of the Bible Belt unless the entire culture embraces that church, which doesn't happen in northwest Indiana.

I would say Oklahoma City meets all the criteria to be the buckle of the Bible Belt. The conservatism, the traditionalism, the fundamentalism, the blue laws and strong support for them by the people, and the lack of a real opposing liberal voice in the city makes it the true buckle. Nowhere else is going to feel as culturally right-wing and "churchy" as OKC.
Here is the Pew data on this:

Oklahoma finishes #8

Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,889 posts, read 6,214,626 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
In the event of a nuclear war, ________ would be one of the first cities to be attacked. Here's the ludicrous reason why...
LOL, the infamous "bomb list".

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-24-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 PM
 
4,495 posts, read 2,686,554 times
Reputation: 4104
"Biggest park" is one. Before the internets were popular I worked for a park advocacy group and talked to a lot of park departments and advocates around NA to tally stats. Claims about biggest parks or third-biggest came up again and again. I think I ruined more than one person's day when I told them their 500- or 1,000-acre park was well down the list. Chambers of commerce and reporters are particularly bad at this sort of thing...they hear a stat and completely misunderstand and misquote it, then all the locals pick it up...

Theater districts and quality-of-theater are another. Houston, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Chicago, and others make claims about being second to Broadway. There's probably a shred of evidence behind each one. Like they'll count seats in a geographic area defined to make themselves look best. Or they'll look at a stack of magazine surveys and pick the one from two years ago that put them #2, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top