U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Well, this is where I'm at. I've done a good deal of research and I've visited all but Cleveland. I think I need to visit a couple more extensively and do even more research. Thanks to everyone who's given input.
There are many other pluses and minuses, but these are the ones which stand out. They all have great food scenes, sports, and arts. Yes, I know Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have great park systems, but Minneapolis's stands out to me.
1. Minneapolis
+ winter activities, multiple neighborhoods to choose from, park system
- extreme winters (really not sure we can handle this)
2. Pittsburgh
+ scenery/topography, Steelers
- few neighborhoods to choose from
3. Philadelphia
+ best transit system, easy access to other cities
- hot summers, few neighborhoods to choose from, Eagles (sorry)
4. Cleveland - no pluses or minuses, nothing stands out. Still in the running, I guess.
Buffalo - out of the question. Too many negatives.
Chicago - out of the question. No neighborhoods to choose from.
Just curious, but what were the negatives in regards to Buffalo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 AM

469 posts, read 669,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but what were the negatives in regards to Buffalo?
Yeah, I didn't want to get into that kind of thing. But since you've been so helpful, it's just many minor annoyances. I want to live near the city center, or reasonably close, and it doesn't look possible in Buffalo. Would prefer not to live in a suburb. Just a whole lot of snow. Might be hard to sell the house if we don't like it there. Taxes. And no positives that really stood out. I'm not saying it's a bad place, I haven't spent a whole lot of time there.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:02 PM

100 posts, read 70,763 times
In Avalon, north of Pittsburgh, but closer to downtown than some Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

In Ben Avon, even closer. Scroll the images until you see the back yard.

I wouldn't have taken the research this far, but now that you're a Steelers guy, that changes everything.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't want to get into that kind of thing. But since you've been so helpful, it's just many minor annoyances. I want to live near the city center, or reasonably close, and it doesn't look possible in Buffalo. Would prefer not to live in a suburb. Just a whole lot of snow. Might be hard to sell the house if we don't like it there. Taxes. And no positives that really stood out. I'm not saying it's a bad place, I haven't spent a whole lot of time there.
No biggie....Knowing what you are looking for, then Elmwood Village, North Park, Parkside, etc would have worked and tax rates are high(er), but median home prices are probably the lowest out of the cities mentioned. It is only 40 square miles and the highest snow fall totals are south of the city. City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

With this said, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are probably the best bets in terms of cost of living, living within the city and public transportation options in regards to cities still on the list.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
In Avalon, north of Pittsburgh, but closer to downtown than some Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

In Ben Avon, even closer. Scroll the images until you see the back yard.

I wouldn't have taken the research this far, but now that you're a Steelers guy, that changes everything.
Ha! Like the first one, but I know my wife hates the style of the second. Anyway, we wouldn't move till at least February. And I'm always looking at real estate online, like every other day. If there's something out there for us, I'll find it. What would be helpful though, is a detailed map of all the train stops. You wouldn't happen to have anything like that handy, would you?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With this said, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are probably the best bets in terms of cost of living, living within the city and public transportation options in regards to cities still on the list.
Really, you think they're better than Minneapolis in those regards?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Really, you think they're better than Minneapolis in those regards?
In terms of the aspects mentioned, I think so. Both aren't going to be as cold either.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Ha! Like the first one, but I know my wife hates the style of the second. Anyway, we wouldn't move till at least February. And I'm always looking at real estate online, like every other day. If there's something out there for us, I'll find it. What would be helpful though, is a detailed map of all the train stops. You wouldn't happen to have anything like that handy, would you?
System map of the T light rail.

PAT Bus system map.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Ha! Like the first one, but I know my wife hates the style of the second.
Don't let that sour you on checking out Ben Avon moving forward, that Tudor style and other, statelier brick and mortar constructions are actually going to be more prevalent in that neighborhood than the other. Just happened to be the first one I found with a nice, big yard.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM

101 posts, read 93,196 times
Very few of these smaller cities mentioned are really all that transit friendly. To live completely without a private vehicle, the transit must be excellent. This is something I know about because I haven't owned a car in over 20 years. I live 4 miles from downtown Boston in Everett, a very diverse working class city just northwest of the city. Compared to the popular Cambridge/Boston neighborhoods, rents are fairly reasonable here. Five different bus lines are close by, each one taking you to a mass transit station, from where you can get anywhere around Boston fairly quickly. And Boston itself is a walker's paradise. Most people take mass transit here, not just the poor. We also have the cold weather you like. 140 inches of snow last year. It can get hot in the summer but seldom for long stretches at a time. And of course, Boston has a lot more going on than those smaller cities, plus it's very safe for a big city. And yes, there are areas close to transit stations with yards. I guess it all comes down to money. It costs more to live here, but I'm not rich, and I survive ok. I think the higher rents are worth the access to great transit and cool places that can be reached rather easily without a car. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or