Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 PM

473 posts, read 521,153 times

Advertisements

You can also look in South Jersey along the Patco line, which connects the Jersey 'burbs to Philly. Collingswood is supposed to be a cute town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Albany NY May be another option, as it has its own public transportation system in regards to CDTA and train access to NYC. Neighborhoods to the SW are nice and would have the space you are looking for. Schenectady has the Union Street Corridor and neighborhoods in the outer southern portion that would work. Troy also has nice single family homes in its outer eastern/SE and southern areas of that city. Boston is only a couple of hours away as well, with mountains nearby too.

https://www.cdta.org

Albany vs, schenectady areas

Neighborhoods

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2016 at 03:23 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 05:10 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Hey, I produce the data to support my posts. Complain to the Pittsburgh Post or police if you don't like the data. The fact is that Cleveland does have the best transit system in the Eastern Midwest. Pittsburgh officials even researched the BRT system from Cleveland.

The Press Room | Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) benefiting communities in Pittsburgh, PA | Get There PGH
Completely false. Pittsburgh has one of the best BRT systems in the entire country. Cleveland's BRT isn't rapid transit. It's a bus lane.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Philly

Old 08-25-2016, 06:38 AM

100 posts, read 103,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany NY May be another option, as it has its own public transportation system in regards to CDTA and train access to NYC. Neighborhoods to the SW are nice and would have the space you are looking for. Schenectady has the Union Street Corridor and neighborhoods in the outer southern portion that would work. Troy also has nice single family homes in its outer eastern/SE and southern areas of that city. Boston is only a couple of hours away as well, with mountains nearby too.

https://www.cdta.org

Albany vs, schenectady areas

Neighborhoods
I can definitely vouch for the general awesomeness of the Albany bus system. It's very comprehensive and efficient. Most of the year or so I spent there was just between Center Square and Downtown, so I guess I don't think of Albany as being very "yard friendly," but if there's outlying neighborhoodage that fits the bill, I second this nomination.

I would caution the OP that even though there is reliable and affordable transit into NYC via Amtrak, it takes a number of hours each way, so it's really only suitable for overnights in the big city.

Although a bonus might be that if you and yours (OP) are into the antiquing and/or B&B scene, this would open up the Hudson Valley for you as a recreational option, which is a real national hotspot for such stuff.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Access to a transit line and a 5,000 square foot property is completely doable in Pittsburgh. You can't just go by the yard's square footage though. A lot of the larger plots are not flat, having a substantial dropoff in the rear in particular. At that price point a lot of the homes also won't have the best character, and be in need of updates.

Here's the one I like best on the market right now. 50 by 100 lot. It's around a six minute walk from there to South Hills Junction, which is a T (light rail) station which goes right into town. There's also a currently inactive streetcar line on Warrington which might be reestablished at some point. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods are bad, and that section of Mount Washington had issues in the past, but it's no longer an unsafe area.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-25-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
If Albany is being mentioned it's only fair to throw in Buffalo too since it has a light rail line. Most of the stations are underground too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAEaXGczweM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMbwew35OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBcW6qUbGNk

Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 AM

538 posts, read 659,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Completely false. Pittsburgh has one of the best BRT systems in the entire country. Cleveland's BRT isn't rapid transit. It's a bus lane.
Not completely false. There are varied definitons of what people call BRT. Is it a way for commuters to get places, or is it a intra-city style glorified bus line? Most people seem to think the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit

Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Hadn't even thought of Buffalo, thanks. Yes, I see quite a few homes that would work. How does Buffalo's mass transit compare with cities like Minneapolis and Pittsburgh?
Here are some listings in the city of Buffalo and the village of Kenmore(Tonawanda): RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM

538 posts, read 659,021 times
From looking at the Pittsburgh BRT system, it seems to act as a park and ride style system, which is different, but not necessarily better than the Cleveland BRT system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.