U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM

469 posts, read 674,092 times

Advertisements

Driving gives me anxiety, so I want to move to a city with mass transit. What would be the cheapest northern city to live in that has good mass transit? Ideally, we'd like to find a house that has a yard and is close to a mass transit stop. I know we couldn't afford cities like NYC, D.C., Boston, S.F., Seattle, Portland, Chicago. I'm not familiar with mass transit in general, so I don't know which cities have good enough mass transit to where I could get to most places I need to. I'm thinking cities like Minneapolis or Pittsburgh, but like I said, I have no real clue. Cities like Madison WI and Indianapolis are also enticing, but I'm not sure their mass transit is extensive enough. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:20 PM

7,774 posts, read 4,633,307 times
Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Chicago. I know you said you can't afford Chicago, but you'd be surprised how little the cost of living is. Housing is in the same ballpark as Madison, which you were already considering.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,240,029 times
Throw St. Louis into the mix with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Chicago as well.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Chicago. I know you said you can't afford Chicago, but you'd be surprised how little the cost of living is. Housing is in the same ballpark as Madison, which you were already considering.
Yes, the house prices are doable, but in my online real estate searches I couldn't find houses with a decent amount of yard space. We could probably get by with as little as a 5000 sf property, but would like more. My wife loves to garden.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Throw St. Louis into the mix with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Chicago as well.
Thanks, but not north enough. Or rather, too hot in the summer!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Yes, the house prices are doable, but in my online real estate searches I couldn't find houses with a decent amount of yard space. We could probably get by with as little as a 5000 sf property, but would like more. My wife loves to garden.
I can't think of any city that has good mass transit I can't think of any city that has good mass transit in neighborhoods with big lots.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I can't think of any city that has good mass transit I can't think of any city that has good mass transit in neighborhoods with big lots.
In preliminary online searches, I've found quite a few in Minneapolis, and just a few in Pittsburgh. Do neither of those have good mass transit?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
In preliminary online searches, I've found quite a few in Minneapolis, and just a few in Pittsburgh. Do neither of those have good mass transit?
I think both cities have good mass transit for cities outside of the Bos-Wash corridor, Chicago or the Bay. I live in Pittsburgh, and I think the mass transit is pretty good, but some neighborhoods are better served than others, and I can't think of a single neighborhood with a large lots that as well served. There are some large lots in Squirrel Hill, which has decent transit access but those tend to be million-dollar homes.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM

4,285 posts, read 5,528,117 times
"Ideally, we'd like to find a house that has a yard and is close to a mass transit stop"--these are not exactly mutually exclusive, but the best mass transit is typically found in high-density locations, meaning lot sizes tend to be smaller and yards are a premium.

If you really want to be in the most affordable cities in the north with the best mass transit, I'd recommend Chicago or Philadelphia. If mass transit is the most important thing, then skip the yard and use the park systems in these cities, which are both very good and very extensive.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I think both cities have good mass transit for cities outside of the Bos-Wash corridor, Chicago or the Bay. I live in Pittsburgh, and I think the mass transit is pretty good, but some neighborhoods are better served than others, and I can't think of a single neighborhood with a large lots that as well served. There are some large lots in Squirrel Hill, which has decent transit access but those tend to be million-dollar homes.
Ok, that helps a lot, thanks. I didn't find many, but really liked this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or