U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,297,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You have Dancehall I'm coming! Be right there!
In MA CT and RI it's almost ONLY SOCA ZOUK and DANCEHALL for black people. And it's so so boring. There's like 20 cities with sizeable African American populations (15,000+) and it's just constant Dancehall and Soca for the entirety of your life...sometimes I like to hit the Mid Atlantic just to hear more hip hop.

Think of New England cities being a mix of Toronto and NYC.

Went to Boston West Indian carnival yesterday and all I can hear in my head is

"Bom! Bem! bom! Bem! bom! Bem! bom! Bem!, pull up a pull up a pull up a dem, bom Bem..." I'm over it bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
"Commercial" EDM really does suck and has ruined a lot of peoples perception of what electronic music can sound like when actually done right. By the way, great "The Room" status reference.

Yea its really the David Guetta, Aviici, Swedish House Mafia, all that crap that I can't stand.

I like Nero, Flux Pavillion, Santigold, Deadmau5, Mike Snow, that's what I'm more likely to listen to if I was to listen to electronic music. I think also growing up in Miami and hearing the same generic dance song over and over everywhere, (plus the douchebros that blast it everywhere) made me hate EDM even more. Don't forget the Pitbull remixes too!

There was a great "The Room" dubstep remix on YouTube that they sadly removed recently.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM

2,009 posts, read 4,402,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In MA CT and RI it's almost ONLY SOCA ZOUK and DANCEHALL for black people. And it's so so boring. There's like 20 cities with sizeable African American populations (15,000+) and it's just constant Dancehall and Soca for the entirety of your life...sometimes I like to hit the Mid Atlantic just to hear more hip hop.

Think of New England cities being a mix of Toronto and NYC.

Went to Boston West Indian carnival yesterday and all I can hear in my head is

"Bom! Bem! bom! Bem! bom! Bem! bom! Bem!, pull up a pull up a pull up a dem, bom Bem..." I'm over it bro.
LOL. In interior US cities with large African-American populations (ie. Chicago, Detroit, etc.) it's far different. You'll rarely hear soca or dancehall unless you're at a rare Jamaican spot. It's gonna be more hip hop (either the modern trap stuff or golden era stuff), R&B, and sometimes old school house music (older crowd - think Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body or Cajmere - Percolator).

Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
I remember my last time out in NYC we accidentally went to a city on Caribbean night. We were probably the only white people there and it was all Dancehall. I like it mixed in quite a bit, but yes all night gets a little too much. I could never do an entire night of Dancehall, but I love a club that will mix that in with other stuff. I also love Latin nights though. I haven't found one around here, but I loved Latin night at Woody's in Philly. One of my favorite nights to go out. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or