U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
8,961 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Reputation: 7642

Advertisements

I live in a small city and most of the nightclubs here are very conservative with their music selection. No matter which club you go to, it consists primarily of early 2000s hip-hop staples i.e. Big Pimpin, Back That Thang Up as well as classic club anthems like "Single Ladies" and "We Goin Down" and "jumpin Jumpin." You hear very little music newer than 2008 and no electropop, EDM, or anything that might be considered "effeminate." Usually at some point, they will spin the Wobble and the Cupid Shuffle. It's also the same music every weekend and they never play anything different.

Of course in major cities you are going to have more nightclubs with different music selections that cater to different crowds, but in terms of your generic, Top 40 nightclub, how does the music selection differ? I moved to my current town from a major coastal city, but I was really only familiar with the LGBT scene and not the club scene in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
In small cities you really only get the trendy top 40 simpleton music scene. Theres really no foundation for underground music to flourish. If there is a pocket of the underground scene in a small city, then it still tends to be generic and not underground at all. Still, in even large metro areas, there is an abundance of cheesy electronic music that caters to the drunk/oblivious, untrained ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:35 PM
 
100 posts, read 70,763 times
Reputation: 175
Smaller cities are lucky to have one or two decent clubs, which, if they're lucky, have talented, dedicated house DJ's. The house sound will depend entirely on that guy/gal, and how hard he tries to keep on the cutting edge of that sound.

I'd say it's worth researching, but those guys typically end up bailing for the big city or moving on and becoming Mercedes salesmen or something before too long. Best you can hope for is a club with ownership that's plugged into the music scene, and really vets their talent before hiring. But those kinds of places are few and far between outside the big metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:37 PM
 
56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in a small city and most of the nightclubs here are very conservative with their music selection. No matter which club you go to, it consists primarily of early 2000s hip-hop staples i.e. Big Pimpin, Back That Thang Up as well as classic club anthems like "Single Ladies" and "We Goin Down" and "jumpin Jumpin." You hear very little music newer than 2008 and no electropop, EDM, or anything that might be considered "effeminate." Usually at some point, they will spin the Wobble and the Cupid Shuffle. It's also the same music every weekend and they never play anything different.

Of course in major cities you are going to have more nightclubs with different music selections that cater to different crowds, but in terms of your generic, Top 40 nightclub, how does the music selection differ? I moved to my current town from a major coastal city, but I was really only familiar with the LGBT scene and not the club scene in general.
Man, you aren't kidding about the city you are referring as being small, if that is all they play.

I think it depends on the small city, as a college town or a smaller city not too far from a major city may have more of a selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Reputation: 1848
The Cupid Shuffle and the Wobble? lmao where are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
8,961 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Reputation: 7642
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
The Cupid Shuffle and the Wobble? lmao where are you from?
I won't claim to be "from" here, but I live in Oklahoma City. This place really is like living in the twilight zone.

Where I lived before I was openly gay so I frequented mostly LGBT-oriented establishments, but moving back here I have had to go back in the closet so when I go out, it's to straight establishments. I was wondering if that was the kind of stuff they played everywhere but apparently it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Terramaria
774 posts, read 839,981 times
Reputation: 910
I consider OKC to be a mid-sized city as opposed to small, and in general mid-sized cities run the gamut in terms of offerings. That said, since you live in one of the more conservative cities in America, people are much more likely to be more straight with their attitudes, and thus you get the Dancing With The Stars/So You Think You Can Dance version of what's played and not the indie scenes that are found in most large cities and some mid-sized ones. In most of America away from the big cities, the most "indie" music you'll probably hear is some form of country music and most of the non-country music is typical overplayed pop. Its a shame since thanks to the Internet, the accessibility of more underground music is stronger than ever, and its about time that Middle America can diversify, just like how country music is becoming more popular overseas. That said, in those underserved markets, you'll find it easier launching a startup in town since it likely will draw many wonderful folks looking to have some fun rather than having them drive (or even fly) hours to a major city, which itself usually includes a place for country for those that are homesick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I won't claim to be "from" here, but I live in Oklahoma City. This place really is like living in the twilight zone.

Where I lived before I was openly gay so I frequented mostly LGBT-oriented establishments, but moving back here I have had to go back in the closet so when I go out, it's to straight establishments. I was wondering if that was the kind of stuff they played everywhere but apparently it isn't.
It's mostly due to the culture, than the size of the city itself. I live in a mid-size city similar to OKC, but the music scene is pretty much modern and varies throughout genres, except country, you won't find many country nightlife options; sometimes you'll even get a bit of live street music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM
 
6,957 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Reputation: 4538
Definitely a cultural thing. Louisville's metro area is smaller than OKC's (which is a better determining factor the size of a place for this type of situation). There are I think 5 gay clubs in the city, possibly more. They are frequented by very accepting straight people as well. One of them, Nowhere Bar, has amazing DJs that play their own stuff, not just a playlist on shuffle of old songs. Another popular one has a pretty good DJ who always will use a real turntable and do real mashups and remixes of stuff. Very EDM. The latter plays a good mix of old and new rap music as well. Only been to one other gay club and again, like most gay clubs, very good mix of current EDM. There are a few that play that throwback rap songs and try to be hip for the frat bros and stuff, but even they'll throw some new stuff down.

Although Louisville isn't a big city and not there on the national music scene, we've had some good artists come through lately. Marshmello and Audien came for Derby. Craze came for Derby last year. TroyBoi had a stop on his tour here earlier this year. YG, MGK, Griz, and I think a few others are coming through this fall.

So yes, it's definitely more of a geographic and cultural difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,559 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Reputation: 27607
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
In small cities you really only get the trendy top 40 simpleton music scene. Theres really no foundation for underground music to flourish. If there is a pocket of the underground scene in a small city, then it still tends to be generic and not underground at all. Still, in even large metro areas, there is an abundance of cheesy electronic music that caters to the drunk/oblivious, untrained ear.
Depends. I know Asheville NC has a good seen for live music, though that's not necessarily a club scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top