Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times

Advertisements

Which states do you think have the best police systems?

And which states do you think have the worst police systems? You know...they'll arrest you for anything, pull you over for anything, set up speed traps, etc.

Here's my picks....

Best Police States
- Massachusetts
- Vermont
- Michigan
- Ohio
- New York
- Montana
- Rhode Island
- Minnesota
- Connecticut
- California

Worst Police States
- Mississippi
- Wyoming
- Tennessee
- Wisconsin
- Alaska
- Nevada
- New Mexico
- Missouri
- Louisiana
- Arkansas

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:01 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I am going to assume we are talking state police here, as local police vary greatly in every state. Two states on the lists I strongly disagree with. First ill start with Ohio, tons of speed traps, tons of problems. Everyone who ever drives through that place knows that Barney fife lives there, not in NC. Speed traps every where, cops aiming radar guns, its like a scene out of Dukes of Hazzard. Also my state of Tennessee is on the "worst" list. I never see many speed traps, don't hear a lot of outrageous stories.

Also where is Virginia???, lots of speed traps and revenuing there. Texas????

Michigan does seem to have a good state police force. The rest I know next to nothing about, and really this kind of poll is nothing but opinion. Also aggressive enforcement practices have a lot more to do with the politicians in the states than it does with the officer who pulls you over. If Officer smith is told to write 50 tickets a day he will do that because his boss said to do it. Lets put the blame where it belongs, on greedy politicians.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
I would gladly agree with my state being in the bottom 10, especially when you factor in traffic stops/tickets. Ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Worst: Virginia. Pedophiles and serial killers get a better treatment than speeders.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
In my opinion I found a police department in Virginia to be extremely corrupt. The whole Interstate 81 corridor pulls over out-of-staters. I got pulled over doing 66 and the officer wrote me a ticket doing 86 and had to fight it in court. I wouldn't be surprised if other police departments do it too, believe me ALOT do that. I like Vermont's state police. Connecticut State Police is awesome as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
In California they are polite, and look like they work out in the gym.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Here is an interesting correlation. Everybody thinks the police in their city or state are the worst. At the same time, everybody also thinks the drivers in their city or state are the worst (as revealed in other threads). So the worst police are the ones who are ticketing the worst drivers.

The bottom line is that the whole USA is a police state, and the citizenry in their constitutional reverie do not realize that they have no avenue by which to redress abuse of power.

You are the voter in your democratic republic. If you don't want your country to be a police state, then go ahead and see how much power you have to remedy the situation. When your candidate for election came around with his platform, did he mention police corruption and abuse? Or did he just mention law and order? As though a police state were a good thing. And you elected him.

The Chinese had a saying, "The best form of government is the most corrupt -- they come and collect the taxes once a year, and the rest of the time, they leave you alone."

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here is an interesting correlation. Everybody thinks the police in their city or state are the worst. At the same time, everybody also thinks the drivers in their city or state are the worst (as revealed in other threads). So the worst police are the ones who are ticketing the worst drivers.
I have long felt the states where the police forces use the ignorance of out of state drivers as a revenue booster had the worst police forces.

In my experience

Indiana
Ohio
and Wisconsin fit that bill.

I have always had a very favorable impression of the Michigan state police because they do not do this, and often seem to spend more time helping people than creating speed traps.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I have long felt the states where the police forces use the ignorance of out of state drivers as a revenue booster had the worst police forces.

In my experience

Indiana
Ohio
and Wisconsin fit that bill.
Oklahoma is like that too.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Virginian chiming in here: I'm scared of our own state troopers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.